how heavy is your clutch? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how heavy is your clutch?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:56 PM
I don't know if anyone's noticed, but 03-05 jbodies feel like they have heavier clutches than earlier years.

I have an 02 and my clutch is as I would put it medium. My room mate has an 04 and his is kinda heavy feeling, and the same with my girlfriend's 05.

I installed a new clutch and the system is freshly bled, and filled with fluid. It feels just like it did before, i'm not complaining nor do i have any problems i'm just wondering if anyone else noticed that newer j's have heavier clutches...?

Re: how heavy is your clutch?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:15 PM
my ACT was claimed to be shipped at 14.5lbs. ACT also says on their website that their clutches weight the similar to OEM ones as well. I do know the old clutch/flywheel setup is far heavier than my fidanza/act combo, course a 9.5lb flywheel will make anything feel lighter.

Re: how heavy does your clutch FEEL?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:19 PM
no i mean as in feel how heavy does it feel to push down...

maybe thats why I didn't get any responses all day

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:26 PM
my 98 fire gt my clutch feels pretty heavy. compared to the cavs i have test drove my clutch was heavy. i know there all the same equip. but i found it a big differance. these were 01 z's

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:25 PM
depends on age of clutch. newer clutch, heavier feel, due to the fact that over time it becomes lighter, and worn out. obvious, and im sure its already known, but it explains why newer j's may feel like they have heavier cluthces. i just put a new one in my car (OEM) and if feels about 10x heavier than the last one. because its new. i think its just how these things are.

by all means correct me if i'm wrong and the newer one's really are heavier. mine was the first one cavalier ive ever driven.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:07 AM
Mine actually got substantially lighter feeling after I got the spec stage 3 and flywheel put in. It was kinda weird at first but i'm used to it now.
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:33 AM
I honestly don't know. My first 1998 Z24 took barely any effort at all to puch the clutch pedal to the floor. Even after a new clutch was installed it still practically fell to the floor by itself. My other 1998 Z24 requires a helluva lot more effort to put the pedal to the floor.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:00 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:no i mean as in feel how heavy does it feel to push down...

maybe thats why I didn't get any responses all day

Oh, well since my new clutch wont disengage, i guess very light (still dont know whats wrong, see the New Clutch, New Problems thread), compared to stock atleast.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:42 PM
I just installed a spec stage 3 and flywheel, and I agree with jimbo, before it was light to average, after it pretty much dropped under its own weight... As I have been breaking it in, it has slowly stiffened up a bit...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search