install rel. spec clutch ? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
install rel. spec clutch ?
Monday, March 06, 2006 2:42 PM
i just had my spec clutch and flywheel put, and my mechanic cant seem to get it adjusted properly. all the forward gears are fine, but reverse grinds everytime. and not the normal isuzu grind where u gotta let the clutch half out. but grinds like the clutch isnt fully depressed. and he said when he looked at the shift fingers, they diidnt look like they were letting it engage all the way.

has anybody else run into this problem, and how did you fix it?

any responses are apreciated. thanks

Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition

Re: install rel. spec clutch ?
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 4:20 AM
bump

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 2:35 PM
nobodys had any issues with spec clutches before?

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 2:44 PM
hmm i would say make sure every bolt is tightened to spec
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 2:59 PM
Check the cables, they are adjustable at the front of the shifter assembly in your car, sounds like one of the cables are not moving far enough and it is grinding.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:34 PM
the car is still at the shop as i am having some other things done also. however he is aware of the adjustments and he has been playing with it, but cant get it to not grind. i was more curious to know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. and to be a little more specific, he said he was watching the clutch and pressure plate move and as the fingers press out and the t o bearing comes in to make contact, like the fingers are too short. like there just isnt enough clutch travel to completely disengage itself. it has good pedal pressure and theres no air in the line. in the forward gears it feels completely normal, its just reverse. it feels like when your rolling forward a couple miles an hour and try to put it in reverse, you always get a grind. except it does it from a stop.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:29 AM
maybe place a shim behind the t/o bearing? I've never had to, but if the slave cylinder isnt traveling far enough to disengage the clutch, maybe it will help?

where did you purchase the clutch threw?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 2:00 PM
i got the clutch thru carcustoms.
is it safe to shim it? and where would i get the shims?

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 7:50 PM
put it in 5th then reverse... or hold the clutch in for a few seconds to let everything stop spinning so fast, reverse isnt synro'd so its not exactly hard to grind lol....

Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:01 AM
cant go from 5th to reverse........ lol You would have to go from 5th to 1st to reverse.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, March 09, 2006 1:54 PM
yeah, i know that trick. but thats not helping at all. it just feels like its not fully disengaging.

speed racer, is shimming it like u mentioned above okay to do? is that something that is done now and then? and do you know where i could get the shims?

Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:00 PM
Mine does the exact same thing man, get over it cuz its just that way, haha. My guy has tried to all. Just shift 1st to reverse man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search