RWD? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RWD?
Friday, March 03, 2006 4:45 PM
anyone know what it would take to make the 2.4 LD9 engine fit up against a RWD tranny/drivelines/diff. I thought I came across an oldsmobile rear end somewhere but i cant find the site for the life of me. I'm not sure if im actually considering doing it yet but more kinda research stuff. sites or expereince would help a lot. peace.

Re: RWD?
Friday, March 03, 2006 4:59 PM
u could prolly find a rear end here but it might take some searching.
http://www.getusedparts.com/fpr_partrequest.asp
Friday, March 03, 2006 5:06 PM
is there a tranny that would fit against the LD9 engine though? with little or no fabrication to the tranny. I know I would have to mod the body to fit drivelines and rear diff but I want to find a tranny that works.
Friday, March 03, 2006 9:19 PM
The 2.4 comes in FWD and RWD already.

You use any rear end you want. It is going to have to be custom work anyways.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Friday, March 10, 2006 4:50 AM
what car is that from?
Friday, March 10, 2006 4:25 PM
Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:43 AM
David S, The Camaro Guy. wrote:The 2.4 comes in FWD and RWD already.

You use any rear end you want. It is going to have to be custom work anyways.

The 2.4 LD9 NEVER came in a RWD vehicle.......

The 2.4 ECOTEC does......

and Mantapart (link from Shifted) has bell housings to bolt Quad/Twin Cam engines to most popular RWD manual transmissions....... there is another site that does custom Hotrods that has the bell housings as well..... just cant think of the site off the top of my head....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:44 AM
mantapart offers parts for cars that are already RWD, check it out, when they say conversion, they mean the bell housing.. weird.
Sunday, March 12, 2006 11:12 AM
I said that.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Monday, March 13, 2006 11:41 AM

Monday, March 13, 2006 4:28 PM
musta been typing when you mentioned that lol. look at the times. what 2.4 ecotec has the RWD?

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:54 PM
Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:31 PM
ive been starting to search a lil bit on the thoughts of a rwd cav myself , has anyone thought of the 2wd manual shift s10??? they run 2.2 ohv and 2.2 ecos with a rwd set up why could you not bolt those up to the same motor out of a cav??? and if the will match up to the cav motors, all the cav motors do have similar auto/manual trans......the 00+ use the same style auto and manuals correct??? so why wouldnt you be able to turn the motor 90 degrees and bolt up a 5speed from a 2wd s10 and find a rear end with lsd to fit in with a coil over set up then get urself a drive shaft made??? i could be way off with my thoughts and info, but im just taking some of the commonly known info of both vehicles and idealy they should mesh

lemme know what you guys think. thanks

my g/f ran a 16.3 in a stock z24....spring time we will see who is faster
Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:58 AM
if you were going to go through ALL of the work to do a RWD swap, why in blue hell would you stay with a 4cyl, never mind a 2.2?

Monday, May 08, 2006 5:32 PM
I like the idea myself, but you'd have to build that engine up bro. Have you found anymore info anywhere?How will the axle tubes work on the cav? Have to cut em? let me know, I'm very interested.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 8:52 PM
I told ya's from the beginning it would be a sick setup. people just kept flaming me... Its gonna need some more weight in the back though for ppl without big sub boxes.
Saturday, June 03, 2006 9:25 PM
Forget RWD, why don't you guys look at the old pontiac 6000 AWD. if you are going custom, at least start with a setup that has maximum grip and a transverse mounted engine to begin with. You would probably have a time making it work with a manual though. Later.

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG
Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:17 PM
now you got me thinking.... oh god, more research... i already have too much stuff to do, now i have to waste more time on my computer... thanks alot!!
Friday, June 09, 2006 10:13 AM
The easy-est way I see this working is to back half the cav/sunfire(tube frame), find a rear that is about the same width. I would use a 4-link set up, coilovers. If you choose to go this route this will open up a lot of options for engine/trans combos. Northstar v8 comes to mind, doch, all aluminum and 300 horse from the factory........................hmmm, now this sounds interesting.
Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:13 AM
if you are going RWD, I think the northstar would be a waste. They charge too much for those engines. They are a pain/ almost impossible to mod, plus Northstar is setup as a FWD engine not RWD. Your best bet is an LS1. you can get tem for as little as 1200 taken out of a camaro or firebird. 345 horse factory, all aluminum. heads and cam and tune will make 450hp.

A guy at the local 8th mile track has a 2nd gen cavy. It is back halfed. He is running about a 283 SBC (small cube for a v8) and is in the low 5's.

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG
Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:22 PM
most of GM small SUV's (ex. Equinox, Vue, Torrent) are fwd based awd. in an older thread it was found that an older awd 4-cyl version had a F23 trans (same as 5 speed 00+_J) and an ecotec. that should be the easiest way to mod the cav to awd. new gas tank is prolly needed. with the irs setup of an N-Body, it may make for a fun setup. this is all speculation. I have not had a chance to poke around and do some measuring. need a car and the t-case for that..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..

Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:33 AM
if it was AWD, could you not just eliminate the front portions, and weld the front diff up? it would give 100% to the rear wheels would it not?
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:53 AM
Rob wrote:if you are going RWD, I think the northstar would be a waste. They charge too much for those engines. They are a pain/ almost impossible to mod, plus Northstar is setup as a FWD engine not RWD. Your best bet is an LS1. you can get tem for as little as 1200 taken out of a camaro or firebird. 345 horse factory, all aluminum. heads and cam and tune will make 450hp.

A guy at the local 8th mile track has a 2nd gen cavy. It is back halfed. He is running about a 283 SBC (small cube for a v8) and is in the low 5's.

I agree with you on the LS1 being more tuner friendly and less expensive. Northstar would be a little more unique, after al were are talking about a rwd j. If I remember correctly, all that is needed for the northstar to be put in rwd config id to use a 2.8 camaro bell housing and rout the air inlet through the cowl?

FIREHAZZRD wrote:if it was AWD, could you not just eliminate the front portions, and weld the front diff up? it would give 100% to the rear wheels would it not?

Not to sure on this FIREHAZARD, I think if you welded the diff for the front and removed the front cvs it would send all power to the rear. I think it would trick the diff into thinking it was loosing traction in the front an re-rout the power to the rear? I had a subaru xt that was awd and just removed the front cvs and it work for me though.
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:45 AM
BlackPghZ24 wrote:ive been starting to search a lil bit on the thoughts of a rwd cav myself , has anyone thought of the 2wd manual shift s10??? they run 2.2 ohv and 2.2 ecos with a rwd set up why could you not bolt those up to the same motor out of a cav???

The S10 NEVER came with the EcoTec...... as far as I have ever seen......

BlackPghZ24 wrote:and if the will match up to the cav motors, all the cav motors do have similar auto/manual trans......the 00+ use the same style auto and manuals correct??? so why wouldnt you be able to turn the motor 90 degrees and bolt up a 5speed from a 2wd s10 /quote]

Each engine has a different bell housing bolt pattern....... The S10 trans will only mate to the 2.2 OHV (or just about any GM V6)..... the Solistice and Sky trans will bolt to any EcoTec (2.0, 2.2, 2.4)........ Mantapart offers Bell housings to bolt to the Quad 4/Twin Cam engine and mate to the popular RWD transmissions

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search