tranny making weired noises - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tranny making weired noises
Monday, February 06, 2006 8:00 AM
On friday coming home from work, I put the car into 3rd gear and it got stuck there. Had to pull really hard to get it out of gear. ( 5 speed ) Now it makes weired noises when in that gear. When I let off the gas in 3rd it gets louder. Sounds like the flywheel noise you get when at idle. But MUCH LOUDER. Still shifts ok. But something is definately wrong.
Also when coming home from the auto show yesterday my speedo started to do the bouncing thing. Going from 120 down to 40 then back up to speed. Car drove fine but now the speedo is screwed up.

Any ideas guys, I am stumped on this one.

Re: tranny making weired noises
Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:09 PM
sounds like its messed up

not much use full info in this post....... no mention of the year of car...... or anything

guess its time to go get it fixed.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, February 10, 2006 8:59 AM
Crap! New at this stuff. 99 Sunfire Gt 5 speed. Also When I let off the gas in 3rd gear and coast the thing makes some crazy noise. Everything still engages fine but should I worry about the noise.
Friday, February 10, 2006 9:15 AM
Mine's doin' the same thing. I blew my shift linkage 2 months ago and it got stuck in gear, just i couldn't get it out of gear till I replaced it.. $260 cdn from GM.. The plactic cover came out of the metal fitting on the end thus making it impossibe to shift. Did it grind into third with a big clunk? This is what mine did. Thus chewing up my diff gear and therefore I had to get the tranny rebuilt ($2500) cause it started slipping now there is a chatter when I slow down. I don't hear it at higher speeds but that's likely cause my car is so loud. I brought it back to the tranny shop and they tore it all down to show me it wasn't from the tranny.. I now suspect it's a CV joint but who knows.......
Friday, February 10, 2006 10:45 AM
Yes it made a clunk. when it went into gear. Getting the car in gear was the hard part. There is now chatter but gladly there is no slipping. I was thinking it might be the cv's making noise but not sure. Thanks for the info. I appreciate all the help and info.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search