checking gear oil - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
checking gear oil
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 3:05 PM
I have a manual 5 spd getrag and i just wanted to know how to check your gear oil, cuz i seem to be leaking oil between the engine and and the tranny and just wanted to check if it was the tranny. i could see where you fill it up and where it drains but there seems to be no way of checking the level. also what is the capacity of gear oil in this transmission.

Re: checking gear oil
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:54 PM
Most likely your rear main engine seal.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:49 PM
I have yet to get a straight answer from any GM tech about how much the tranny holds. When I replaced my tranny, I filled it with 3 quarts of Synchromesh and that filled it up to the line on the dipstick.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, February 10, 2006 5:37 AM
1.8 quarts according to the haynes manual
i would recomend that you use saturn manual tranny fluid (it is equivalent to gl-4) because damn GM wants you to put ATF in the damn thing and after having 2 trannys go out from bad synchronizers due to lack of lubrication i haven't had any problems with this one and the synchros

just my $.02

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:46 AM
1.8 according to GM
2.0 if you follow the GM recall for the Saturn fluid

Getrag calls for ATF in their trans because of the tight clearences, and ATF is thinner then most gear Oils. The Saturn fluid is for people that complain of noises, but it increases shift effort, exp. in colder climates.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, February 12, 2006 1:59 PM
well the shifting effort isn't too bad just when it is cold after a mile or 2 the tranny is just as easy to shift
so im my opinion very much worth it

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search