rear-wheel drive? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear-wheel drive?
Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:41 PM
has this been done I know you can do this with a 2.2 but con you do it with a 2.4l?

Re: rear-wheel drive?
Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:56 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to do it with a 2.4? You can do anything with enough time, effort, and money.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:34 AM
well because the 2.2has rwd tranny in the s-10 i figure theres yout key but im not about to have a custom tranny for my turbo 2.4l. did the izuzu use rwd tranny with the 2.4l, any one?
Sunday, January 29, 2006 1:48 PM
The 2.4L will bolt right up to the bell housing for the 2.2L RWD. So will all GM 4 cyl and 6 cyl up to the 3.8L. The 4.3L uses the V8 bold pattern.

Anything can be done with enough time, effort, and money. Heck there's a cavy round that has a V8 in it.

Monday, January 30, 2006 11:06 AM
good oint and tahnk for the info so if I got this rght the tranny for the 2.2 s-10 will fit my 2.4?
Monday, January 30, 2006 11:24 AM
Even if it did, there is a lot more work than the tranny. You'd have to cut out the body, weld in a channel for the axle, find a rear end that matched the dimensions of the cav, change all the rear suspension, remount the engine so that it faced rearward, and more.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:45 PM
dont forget placement of the gas tank and all the front sus parts theat will have to be modified to accomidater a longitudinal oil pan.

you would also have to do something with the center hump in the chassis towrds the front so you can fit a trans in there

have fun routing an exaust system too
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 4:30 AM
your best bet from what ive seen working on j-bodies is to get an f-body v6, tranny, driveshaft, and rear end.

the rear end wont need too much work to make it fit, the axle is almost the same length as the car, maybe require some cutting and re-welding.

the engine they had in them i know were the 3100, dont recal if the 3400 was in it, but same engine regardless. the transmission would require a new subframe. i think you maight have just enough room to squeeze that in between the front of the engine bay and the friewall.

you would probably need to do some extensive exhaust work, as if it was me, i would be using the current j's exhaust channel to run the drive shaft. the drive shaft may need to be cut to length.

the gas tank will either need to be severly modified or a fuel cell placed in the trunk of the car.

all in all, unless you have virtually unlimited funds, dont bother. it would cost you more than a rear wheel drive car will run you.

my advice, go pick up an old f-body or fierro, that would be cheaper.

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:40 AM
get a fiero.. then call V8Archie..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Friday, February 03, 2006 6:57 AM
What Jrobz23 said

and no, the Quad 4 and the 2.2 do NOT have the same bolt pattern (as far as I know). the 2.2 OHV (and 2200 I think...grr too many similar-but-not-quite-the-same motors) use the same bolt pattern as GM's 60 degree v6s (and the 3800), but the Quad-4 is its own animal, since it was never in production as a RWD (front/rear) setup.

Whitegoose has a good recommendation though. Take the running gear from a similarly sized rear wheel drive car (Such as an F-body) and use it, fabbing up your own mount points. For everything.

v6 F-bodies came with (chronologically as IIRC) the 2.8 v6, the 3.4 v6 (both 60 degree blocks) and finally the 3.8 (90 degree) v6. If you go that route, you'll have the best luck with the 2.8 or 3.4 since they're physically smaller than the 3.8 (or 3800..whatever you want to call it). In that case I recommend the 3.4, as it will 1. Be newer and 2. have about 30 more HP than the 2.8.

This kind of question pops up every now and then, somebody else thought they might try to use an S-10 running gear, but that seems to have flopped.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Friday, February 03, 2006 1:40 PM
It is going to take a custom subframe and you will have to design a tube frame for the rear.

Forget a F-body driveshaft. You are going to have to have your own custom made. It will never be the correct size.

In reality, you will have to design each part custom by yourself. You will have to make some of them and you will have to draw up others in AutoCAD and send them to a lasercutter. It is going to be rough, a lot of math, drafting, and knowledge of how a RWD car works. AS WELL YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT A LARGE PORTION OF YOUR UNIBODY CAR OUT COMPLETELY. Then, you will have to design patch panels, pop rivet them in place, and then have a custom interior job to cover it.

If you are asking this question, then I know for a fact you can't do it yourself.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:00 AM
?? dumb idea!!

mecp certified installer#39272

Monday, February 06, 2006 6:38 PM
cut the car apart its fun and a great learning experience and if you dont get it all back together hey scraps up
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search