Sport Shifting - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sport Shifting
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:32 PM
So today was the first time I have ever heard the term "sport shifting". I was racing my friend in my 1996 Cavalier, and he was in his 1996 Cavalier LS. He said he was sport shifting. He also has 1-2-3-D set up I have the 1-2-D set up.....If I was to do the "sport shifting" would going from 1 to 2 then to D (3rd gear over drive right?) hurt my tansmission? I am worried if I do this my engine will blow, or my tanny will get messed up or something.

Re: Sport Shifting
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:39 PM
you shouldnt do that with a automatic........ reason he beat you is cause he has a 4 speed automatic and you have a 3 speed. more gears makes it easier to accel

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:51 PM
well he has a 3 speed I know that. but yeah I dont think its a good idea to sport shift.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:04 PM
The shifting had nothing to do with it. The 4 speed and 3 speed transmission difference made the difference. Shifting it like that isn't bad but won't give you any gains.

You have a 3 speed...he has a 4 speed. His car accelerates better than yours for that fact alone.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:44 AM
well ive been told by some tranny mechanics that it really does wear a bit quicker on the tranny
Sunday, January 29, 2006 2:12 PM
i heard that the bands stay locked on manual shifting it. when its jsut in drive it pulses the band and doesnt hold it. This is where the extra wear comes in because it holds the band the whole time in 1 and 2.

Thanx Charles
Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:27 PM
Sport shifting does nothing those who say it do are wrong and smell

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:21 PM
haha i was jsut sayin what my tech teacher told me. But i do it anyways sometimes hahaha o well

Thanx Charles
Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:05 AM
i was told blah blah by tranny techs, yeah right. makes no difference. if you want proof i can ask one of my best friends who works at sdr transmission here in town. the previous points are whats right! more gears give s the opportunity for closer ratios....which increases accel.

mecp certified installer#39272

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:07 PM
the 4 speed is geared bettter, simple as that

"spot shifting" or holding out gears does nothig for you. unless you got cams or seriouse boost stock shift points will do you best.

the only time this could possibly help you is if you are anticipating a run from a roll in which ou can hold out the gear you want to hit it in eliminating the time the trans will take to downshift. then after that you might as will put it in 4th.

the only time "sport shifting" will damage a trans is if you downshift at to high a speed or try to downshift under power

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't actually read your posts
I stare them down until they give me the information I require
Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:34 PM
Charles (the haha one) wrote:i heard that the bands stay locked on manual shifting it. when its jsut in drive it pulses the band and doesnt hold it. This is where the extra wear comes in because it holds the band the whole time in 1 and 2.

that makes no sense at all.. when the band is holding, there's no friction on it... no friction, no wear. The only time the band gets warn is as its engaging, and as its disengaging, or if its only partially engaged. Just like the clutch on a manual tranny, if its in gear, and the clutch is engaged, the clutch will not wear... only during engagement/disengagement, when it is slipping against the flywheel.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search