Need a Stronger Tranny for my 98 2.4 5spd HELP - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need a Stronger Tranny for my 98 2.4 5spd HELP
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:33 PM
These trannys stock are junk, what are my options for getting a better tranny or building it up in my 98 sunfire 2.4 5spd

Let me know. need something that will hold up 13's in 1/4

Re: Need a Stronger Tranny for my 98 2.4 5spd HELP
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:58 PM
Just dont drop the clutch at 3-5gs. I blew my first tranny like that. Best thing to do is feather the clutch out of the hole, you shouldnt have a problem. There is no true race tranny for our cars, gear swaps to change the ratios but nothing to stregthen.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:36 AM
My diff went out a while back, but I got in on the quaife group purchase...cryotreated the internals with different gearing and the quaife...I have no worries about the inside of my transmission anymore
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:54 PM
Drenyx wrote:My diff went out a while back, but I got in on the quaife group purchase...cryotreated the internals with different gearing and the quaife...I have no worries about the inside of my transmission anymore

what gearing and who treated them? also how much do the quaife cost><
Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:07 AM
like they said...... very few options....

quaife...... good luck. There was a group purchase for these last year (maybe longer then that)...... came from the UK...... dont think there are any more floating around....

there is this classifieds

its stronger, but in no way bullet proof....... just read Bill Hahn's <b>Sticky</b> post in the tires forum about tranny/axle abuse........

Gearing.... swap the 2.2 3rd and 4th gears into the 2.4 trans...... gives you a shorter ration, and helps with that 'weak' 3rd/4th gear (feels like a loss of power).... LINK

Or you can swap in the 00+ Getrag trans..... its a bit stronger then the Isuzu.....

Or you can swap in the 93-94 NVG-T550 trans LINK

hope that helps.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:54 AM
Thanks SpeedRacer, ill look into that.

this is gonna be the 3rd tranny and 2nd keeps blowing
Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:55 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Or you can swap in the 00+ Getrag trans..... its a bit stronger then the Isuzu.....

The Isuzu is actually rated by GM Powertrain for more torque than a 00+ getrag. It just doesn't absorb shock as well as the getrag.

So, the isuzu is stronger (power).
The getrag is more abuse resistant (5k clutch dumps with wheel hop).

sig not found
Monday, January 23, 2006 9:20 PM
I would say switch the diff out for an old isuzu diff with the forged gears. Not the strongest but definitely stronger than stock. I did it and never had any problems with mine and i ragged on it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search