Transaxle removal - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transaxle removal
Friday, January 13, 2006 8:14 PM
I know many of you may think this is a simple process, but I can really use some help. I have spent a full day trying to drop the auto transmission from my 99 z24. There is a 2 inch gap between the engine and tranny and I am able to move it around by hand but I cannot seem to free it. My goal is to replace the Flywheel(flexplate) which is cracked. Is there something I am missing here?

This is a list of everything I have removed thus far:

- Air intake
- Shift Linkage
- Coolant hoses
- Wire harnesses
- Front suspension
- Both half shafts
- Drivers side motor mount
- Every single bolt I could find connecting the tranny to the engine, including that really difficult bolt behind the engine near the subframe and the odd bolt thats threaded from the inside out at the bottom of the engine in the center.

I spent good money on the Chiltens manual and it is moderately useful. I found it to be too general and did not list how many bolts or what size I had to remove. Very fustrating!

I would greatly appreciate specific and detailed instructions on how to replace my Flywheel or (Flexplate) on my 4sp automatic pain in the ass.

Thanks!

Maybe not the best, but at least it's American.

Re: Transaxle removal
Friday, January 13, 2006 9:39 PM
Unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate. Through the starter hole.

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:18 PM
Yup.... take off the starter, then pull out the three bolts that hold the TC to the flex plate. You have to turn the crank to get to the bolts... rotate it until you can access them thru the hold. Take out the plugs if the compression makes this difficult.

If you don't have anything supporting the trans case, you'll want to put a couple of bolts back in 'er.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 5:51 AM
Bottoms first to. atleast that is the way it is with manual tranny. And make sure you have an extra set of hands.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:23 AM
Hey Thanks for the quick response! I think I'll use a jack to prop up the tranny as to level it out before attempting to remove the Torque Converter bolts throught the starter hole.

I'm working today but I'll let you know how it turns out when I get the chance.

You have been extremely helpful!

Sunday, January 22, 2006 9:18 PM
Well I finally put my tranny back together. Thanks to your advice I was able to do it . Once I replaced the severely cracked Flywheel, I used 2 jacks to gradually hoist the tranny back into place. The engine was suported from below by blocks of wood during this process.

Problem now is... I cannot seem to get the HALFSHAFS all the way back into place.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated! Unfornuately, the Repair Manual does not specify a method.

- B4N

Monday, January 23, 2006 11:42 AM
There kinda tricky to get back in. I know when i did mine( btw i have a 97 2.2 manual ) i had to like ram those things back in there. I dont know if yours are the same but mine have like a metal ring on the end that fits back in there perfectly to lock them in place. Make sure you didnt accidently bend one of them if your axles are the same.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:54 PM
Tell me about it! I used a wooden cylinder and a mallet to bump them in and they're still not in all the way. Is it possible that it's not lined up correctly, or perhaps I will have to replace the rings on the shafts.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:54 PM
you kinda have to like shake them and push at the same time to get that ring to seat in there right.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:34 PM
Well, I got the axles in... everything is reassembled and car is operational again. However, I noticed my transmission isn't shifting properly now. This is a new problem. In the process of replacing my flywheel, I changed the tranny filter and added 3.5 quarts of mercon III fluid. I took notice in reattaching the wire harnesses and plugI. Somehow, I may have caused a problem in the electrical because my ETC light is on and engine light as well.

I fear that this may be beyond my abilities and bank acount.

Is there some troubleshooting techniques I can try to help narrow down the problem?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:03 PM
You sure you have enough fluid in there? I used way more than 3.5 quarts when I changed my filter... and that didn't involve dropping the whole works.

Check the level...

Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:56 PM
Ok, The owners manual calls for 4qrts of tranny fluid for the 4spd auto, so I added a half qrt. It shifted a little better at 4qrts but still not right. So I added another quart. The ETS light went off, but the engine light remains. Also it seems to shift better now, but when in final drive, it arbitrarily shifts in and out of gear...causing high revs. And for some reason my speedometer is flickering which is causing the cruise control to malfunction.
As you see, I have issues.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:32 PM
Ok, now instead of going on theoretical measurements from the owners manual...

Check the fluid level properly: http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq8.htm#41

Saturday, January 28, 2006 9:01 AM
Ok, I added another 3 quarts of tranny fluid ( 8qrts total ). Drove the car 10 miles and the engine light went off. I followed the instructions on checking the fluid level. I raised the car from both ends, with engine running, I went through the grears, then removed the plug. Oil came gushing out! It was warm but not hot. The instructions say if no fluid drips out than its too Low. My question is, at what point to you know if you have too much oil? And if no is it harmfull to the tranny? Note: my transmission shifted flawlessly before this ordeal... It still isn't right. Also, My speedometer is still flickering when it reaches over 50mph.

Thanks in advance for all your usefull input! I greatly appreciate it. Your a life saver!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:42 PM
id like to know as well when u know u have to much, should it jus barely drip or actually pour?
Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:52 PM
when the oil stops comming out, your at the right level.

its crappy, but it is how it is

As for the speedo..... not sure on the auto's, but I think you can pull the sensor out. If you can, clean it off, it might have metal on it (maybe from running so low on fluid)

IDK, I hated the 4t40e trans, thats why I traided my 97 in on a 02.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:27 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll try cleaning the sensor near the passanger-side axle.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search