100K trans fluid my arse! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
100K trans fluid my arse!
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:11 PM
So today I finally decided I would switch to synthetic trans fluid and I'm already using synthetic motor oil and so I figured why not. I have an auto with 37K miles on it, by the way. I began draining the fluid and I was digusted by the way it looked. It was brown and grungy looking. After seeing that, I remember back to when I was told by the salesman the factory trans fluid and filter would last 100k miles before it needed to be changed. I never really bought into it and I was really skeptical when he said that to me. So anyway, I proceed to drop the pan and I was once again disgusted by the way the filter looked. The funny thing is I baby my car and it still looks like that after only 37K. So I got it all back together with the new filter, gasket, and filled it with Mobil1 synthetic fluid. I can actually feel a difference with the new synthetic fluid. So I guess the moral of the story is that you shouldn't trust that whole 100K tranny fluid BS and replace the fluid and filter every 3 years/36,000 miles like I've been told and advised to do by many mechanics and transmission shops.

Re: 100K trans fluid my arse!
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:26 PM
Thats probably 100k before your tranny need a rebuild because everything is totally wasted!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:32 PM
GM's been doing that forever. It came out when this Dexron III came out.

According to GM, this fluid is Synthetic and is why it can last that long...

The fluid itself is still fine when you drained it. It's properties are still there, but so is all of the @!#$ that has worn off lol...

I agree, i do mine every 25k on every car i own, the GA i just got hasn't had one done and i'm almost at 37k. the kid who owned it before me beat it too... Be happy you're doing it now, and not @ 100k

Rob
'91 Beretta, 3400 and 5 speed swapped
14.553 @ 94.01 mph.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:04 PM
Its the same thing with my motor oil. Its Mobil 1's full synthetic, but I'm not going to go the whole 15K miles before I change it just because they say it can last that long.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:14 PM
i did that for my manual getrag and put the mobil syn ATF in my trans. I know you dropped the pan and changed the filter, but that didnt get all of the fluid out. There is still what its left in the tourque converter and in the trans cooler. IF you can find someone with a flush machine, see if you can use it and flush in the new fluid to make sure you get as much of it as you can.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search