Ecotec. How much power? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec. How much power?
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:10 PM
How much power is safe to throw at a 4t40e transmission...stock?

Re: Ecotec. How much power?
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:53 PM
more then you will make hahaaha jk. Um well depeneds some are tearing up stock ones with nothing done but bolt ons and others are runnin boost with close to 190-240 and are having no problems. Then you have ppl like dragrace that are eating like 2 - 3 for breakfast hahaha. So i think it comes down to maintance and the tranny is a pain to check fluid and all that fun stuff.

Thanx Charles
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:45 PM
Thanks.

so in the end, what your sayin....just run it and see whats happens.
ok...I will...
A shift improver should help somewhat shouldn't it...(interceptor or the B&M one)
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:43 PM
itll hold as much as youll want to run on the street

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:16 PM
yea it seems to be hit or miss on if it will hold. Try it if it destroys it throw a new one from a junkyard in it. You usally can get them around here for 250-300 with a 6 month warrenty/

Thanx Charles
Friday, January 06, 2006 2:46 PM
If you're going to be putting greater power into the engine, make sure to purchase a tranny cooler. One of the main reasons your tranny will fail will be due to excessive heat. Check out the thread in the performance forum called "Hayden Oil/Transmission coolers," there's some good info being thrown around in there.

Blown.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 2:06 AM
Wow...finally a thread that isn't spreading falseness of the 4T40E.

Like everyone said, it can handle plenty of power. Ask Turbo Tech Racing...I was talking to Aaron and at one point they were running over 300 WHP on a stock 4T40E transmission with no problems.

The only real thing that kills autos is heat. Autos generate tons of heat from all the work they do internally...that heat can overtime destroy a transmission. My suggestion is when you start to enter the high power range, get a transmission cooler (I'm buying one on Tuesday in prep for my turbo install )

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, January 07, 2006 7:49 AM
Great...I am shooting for 200-250 hp right now...should be between 170 and 220 whp. Still haven't decided on turbo or not...but in either case at least I know my trans can take it.

In the distant future...who knows......

Thanks guys yet again....

"I know not with what weapons World War III
will be fought, but World War IV will be fought
with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstine-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search