2200 sfi getrag TEC. BULLETION - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 sfi getrag TEC. BULLETION
Monday, January 02, 2006 5:56 PM
2 weeks ago my clutch went out for no aparent reason I put it in first and I heard a grindig noise and it kicked right out of gear. the cause of this was the a master cylinder in the clutch due to the fact that it is a hydraulic clutch. I picked the car up today and talked with the mechanic and he showed me a document that came from chevrolet with the new parts that read ( The majority of clutch system failure in this vehicle application is related to (clutch) master cylinder failure, in fact a strong possibility exists that the master cylinder failed in the clutch system you are replacing. Performing the following specific instalation instructions will help to ensure that the warranty is not viod 1) Always replace the clutch master cylinder. 2) This kit contains a concentric slave cylinder that replaces the warn slave cylinder / release bearing. Do not apply hydraulic presure to the concentric slave cylinder prior to installation. 3) Do not bleed the clutch hydraulic system untill all replacement components in the clutch system have been installed.) the point to all of this is that chevrolet knew of a problem in the getrag transmission in the master cylinder (clutch), the new clutch is $855 and the new master cylinder is $250 and due to chevrolet fileing a chapter 13 bankruptcy back in Nov. there is no recall on this. I just wanted to get this out before it hapend to another member and they have to pay $1500 to have this fixed. To prevent this from happening have the master cylinder checked. I will get pictures of the clutch and the master cylinder to show the damage later this week. and I dont know if this should be a stickey or not you guys decide thanks SpyderJ

A J-body owner since 1998
91 cavy, 99 sunfire, 00 cavy
06 cobalt SS/SC YELLOW
09 cobalt SS/TC sedan WHITE 1 of 41

Re: 2200 sfi getrag TEC. BULLETION
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:41 PM
No need for a sticky I think. Although

Quote:

the cause of this was the a master cylinder in the clutch

I dont think you meant to say this but the master cylinder is not in the clutch.

Its not even in the transmission.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:10 PM
Jbody2nr wrote:No need for a sticky I think. Although

Quote:

the cause of this was the a master cylinder in the clutch

I dont think you meant to say this but the master cylinder is not in the clutch.

Its not even in the transmission.

In the clutch system.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:45 AM
yes there is a clutch master cylinder this clutch system it is a hydraulic clutch I just had it replaced, and it must be checked or replaced when you change out the clutch the paragraph was a statement from GM when I received the part like I said before it was a defect that GM knew about and I will get the pics. up and I will scan the bulletin that came with the master cylinder If you think that this is a prank or I dont know what I am talking about go check with a GM dealership. All I was trying to do was save someone $1500 to have this all fixed cause it could go out any time and what it does is lock up a couple of gears and rip the face on the presure plate side right off .

***Jbody2nr---email this address---krysten.whited@gmail.com---i will give you a copy of the tech bulletin that states that the problem was a "clutch master cylinder failure"

****anyone else that wants the CORRECT info can do the same

A J-body owner since 1998
91 cavy, 99 sunfire, 00 cavy
06 cobalt SS/SC YELLOW
09 cobalt SS/TC sedan WHITE 1 of 41
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:02 AM
no one said they didnt believe you....... just that the master cylinder is located on the fire wall, not "in the clutch"...... but yes, its in the hydrolic clutch system....... the slave cylinder is located down by the clutch.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search