Changing the torque converter,how to?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changing the torque converter,how to??
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:18 PM
Do anybody know a link to a good "how to change a tcc on the auto tranny 4t40e"? Apprecite any help.

Re: Changing the torque converter,how to??
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:43 PM
Remove transmission then slide off convertor. Put it back together and yer all done.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:39 AM
^^^^Prettty much!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:12 AM
Good! Is that a guess???? Seriously guys I know you can change some parts like valve body, solenoids etc... just removing the pan or side cover
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:17 AM
New tcc comes with three nuts so shoul be: losen 3 nuts , slide out the old tcc, slide in the new tcc, tighten 3 nuts and voi la! question is how to get to the tcc?
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:30 AM
drop the transmission

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:04 AM
Hi Luis. Como va?

Basically, most shops will support the engine from around the back at the top of the engine. Kind of around the exhaust. Then drop out the sub-frame. The subframe is the worst part. You should remove the axles, trans cooling lines, sway bar, ect.. Anything in the way. The transmission is lowered just enough to change the converter and then replaced. I would allow about 9 hours to swap it out just in case if you have any complications like missing tools.

The transmission is mounted to the sub-frame on the bottom and has a mount on the drivers side frame rail.

It is worth it! I had a J-body with a high stall in it and I regret selling it.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 3:21 PM
Thanx David, I´m sure the new YANK hi stall tcc you send me will make a diference.
By the way I used to get parts (hard to find) from a shop called The Camaro Place in Florida for my IROC and for 67 and older Camaros, anything to do with you?
Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:58 AM
all i did when i swapped my converter was support the engine, dropped the subframe, remved the tranny mount completely, removed the axles from the steering knuckles, seperated the tranny from the engine, lowered the tranny just enough to not stretch the cooler lines (there is room to do this just keep an eye on them), and then out with the stock in with the good one . id suggest having a couple extra people there to help, the subframe like said is a bitch and is fairly heavy and awkward. took me a 9-3 day to do with an hour lunch and a few breaks inbetween and no rushing.

The one, the only, ME.
Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:42 PM
i don't know why you have to pull the subframe. i've had my tranny out twice doing variuos mods to it and have never taken out the subframe. yeah it would be easier to get the tranny out but its more work taking out the subframe. the first time i left the subframe alone. the second time i took off all but two bolts on the passenger side. i loosened them. take the ball joint off the driver side and pull down. the subframe drops enough to get the tranny down or out without being in the way. the rest everyone has already covered a few times. just to clarify, not trying to sound like a know it all but a tcc is the tourque converter clutch. your replacing the tourque converter tc. just so no one gets confused. good luck and have fun. hi stall converters rock!
Thursday, December 29, 2005 4:58 PM
Awsome, thanks for the info, JBO Rocks

Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:13 PM
Haven't heard of that particular Camaro parts distributer. Sorry on that one.

You might be able to do it without the removal of the sub-frame, but I have never tried it. I did it back in 2002 so it has been a while. I just remember it in the way so out it went!

This swap took two people and I still had the time to take some quick pictures. Actually, I just wanted them for memory and not an install guide. Sorry for the @!#$ty pics but it went like this:

The transmission lines are just barely going to make it in this pic. So, I guess you could lower it less and get away with not disconnecting them.

Anyways...

--------------
Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:23 AM
Thanks David, I´ve got the idea, I will take it easy and give it the time it takes also thinking of changing the sleeve of the TCC regulated apply valve since I am pretty sure it´s bore is weared out too much causing the valve to stick sometimes.
¡Happy New Year!
Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:42 AM
I posted on this valve problem but seems no one has had it, don´t understand it is supposed to be common on the 4t40e transmission .Question is: it is cheaper to buy a reman. valve body complete than to buy the reamer tool that is needed to replace the sleeve of the valve, what should I do???
Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:13 PM
Unless you are a machinist and welder, you will not be changing the TCC.
That stands for "Torque Converter Clutch" and that is inside the "sealed" "welded"
torque converter "assembly".
What you do is change the whole torque converter assembly. Like everyone has said to do here.
Monday, January 02, 2006 1:38 PM
As the title of the post says it is the torque converter that I will change, sorry if somewhere I typed an extra C.
Monday, January 02, 2006 6:51 PM
I would look for a kit from Sonix or another transmission supplier. Might be like $60.00? UNLESS, you want to build up a new transmission and swap out the trans and TC at the same time.

--------------
Thursday, February 16, 2006 6:15 PM
OK finally my mechanic friend with a little help from you guys and me translating did the swap for the new Yank Torque Converter. Thanks.
Saturday, February 18, 2006 9:39 PM
Cool. How did it work out?

--------------
Sunday, February 19, 2006 8:52 AM
It works very well, I can burn the front tires just applying the brake for the back tires and pushing the throttle to some 50%..... but the swap took us two nights of work we were able to do it taking out all but one bolt from the passenger side of the sub-frame.
Thursday, February 23, 2006 1:25 AM
HEHE Sono contento a saperlo.

--------------

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search