Does the B&M ShiftPlus affect your times? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Does the B&M ShiftPlus affect your times?
Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:17 PM
Hi guys,

I've done all I want with my car in regards to mods and performance (not much, but I didn't want much), the last thing that would make me satisfied is the B&M ShiftPlus, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm not expecting much, but would the ShiftPlus give me better run times in any way (and if so, how much. even if it's just 0.05 seconds difference) or is it intended just to give a better feel when you shift?

2. Whats the easiest way to get the wires running through the firewall so to mount the unit under the climate controls?

Re: Does the B&M ShiftPlus affect your times?
Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:21 PM
id say run it through where your steering column goes through just move that boot a little and slip it through
and you may see actually .1 faster in the 1/4 jsut cause the shifts are faster and more positive/firmer and you should be able to chirp second haha

definitely worth it either way

The one, the only, ME.
Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:24 PM
what ever you do dont keep it on. only use it for agreesive driving

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:28 PM
Honestly, if you don't have the B & M Shift Plus, don't get it. You shouldn't have to splice wires to get a better shift. Spend the extra money and buy an Auto Trans Intercepter that will plug right in with no problems, no splicing, period. That's my opinion. I have it and it works fine.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I don't really mind splicing the wires so I guess my question is:

Does the Intercepter perform better or do anything extra that the ShiftPlus can't?
Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:53 PM
I guess they don't make a real shift kit for the auto's in J's? I had a transgo shift kit in my camaro and that thing was bada$$.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:04 PM

Quote:

Spend the extra money and buy an Auto Trans Intercepter

Is that always on?? or can you turn it off???
Do these hurt the tranny?

Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:15 PM
Moe Moe wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys.

I don't really mind splicing the wires so I guess my question is:

Does the Intercepter perform better or do anything extra that the ShiftPlus can't?

Well the intercepter is much more "plug and play" and more adjustable. The only real advantage the shiftplus holds over the interceptor is that it's adjustable from inside your car.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:16 PM
nasty04cav wrote:
Quote:

Spend the extra money and buy an Auto Trans Intercepter

Is that always on?? or can you turn it off???
Do these hurt the tranny?

When you plug it in, it's always working. You can adjust it to be very soft on shifts to very hard on shifts...much more adjustable.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:18 PM
Jcavi wrote:what ever you do dont keep it on. only use it for agreesive driving

It shouldn't hurt their transmission if that's what you're worried about. I can only see it hurting if they have it really high. I'm like half-way on my Auto Trans interceptor and I can't imagine it being necessary to be any higher.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:58 PM
i have had my B&M shiftplus on my car for about 55000 miles now and it has never left the highest position and my tranny is just fine i love the thing figure you pay $150 for plug and play or $35 and have to do a little minor splicing
honestly its personaly preference i think, they both have the same purpose and both work jsut as effectively

adam doesnt like to work on cars dont listen to him

lol j/k man

The one, the only, ME.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:10 PM
Quote:

"This just in...Roy aka Joey Lawrence is jealous that Adam will be turbo and he will still be this pathetic all motor ecotec...back to you Champ"

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:28 PM
NJHK (That Black Guy) wrote:
Quote:

"This just in...Roy aka Joey Lawrence is jealous that Adam will be turbo and he will still be this pathetic all motor ecotec...back to you Champ"

you've used that twice today. you're fired.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:32 PM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:
NJHK (That Black Guy) wrote:
Quote:

you've used that twice today. you're fired.

"I don't see your point..."

Friday, December 23, 2005 6:41 PM
JEALOUS??? HA never my all motor will keep right with your turbo when im done if not ill have a little kick of juice, = poweradder like your turbo, lol to make it certain

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, December 23, 2005 8:52 PM
adam you forgot one key point 100 something VS. 38.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, December 23, 2005 9:55 PM
04eco wrote:JEALOUS??? HA never my all motor will keep right with your turbo when im done if not ill have a little kick of juice, = poweradder like your turbo, lol to make it certain

You guys and your baby bottles...ehem...I mean nitrous. Trust me Roy, you won't be close. Lets race if theres a bash this year and we'll see what's really good in da hood

Friday, December 23, 2005 9:56 PM
Jcavi wrote:adam you forgot one key point 100 something VS. 38.

True but you could always find them suckers mad cheap in the classifieds (or know someone...I bought mine off of Mastin and now he's pissed cause he wants one now )

Saturday, December 24, 2005 12:35 AM
id be all on your bet at the bash if i knew i could come up with the other $5000 to finish my car lol and with current events ill be lucky to keep my car

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, December 24, 2005 1:05 AM
04eco wrote:id be all on your bet at the bash if i knew i could come up with the other $5000 to finish my car lol and with current events ill be lucky to keep my car

Jeez you're a loser and we didn't even race yet...tisk tisk

Saturday, December 24, 2005 6:50 AM
Moe Moe wrote:Hi guys,

I've done all I want with my car in regards to mods and performance (not much, but I didn't want much), the last thing that would make me satisfied is the B&M ShiftPlus, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm not expecting much, but would the ShiftPlus give me better run times in any way (and if so, how much. even if it's just 0.05 seconds difference) or is it intended just to give a better feel when you shift?

2. Whats the easiest way to get the wires running through the firewall so to mount the unit under the climate controls?

I love my B&M. I can turn it on from inside the car. It shifts faster, and stays in the powerband more with the quicker shifts. I would definately expect quicker times.

I wasn't sure if I would like it at first, so I ran it through the door(in between the hood and fender).

Saturday, December 24, 2005 6:58 AM
Also check out the Transmition section for more info, as well as an install guide. There are alot of positive feedback in there about shift kits.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 2:17 PM
Even if yours is quicker adam, if it breaks, you wont be able to fix it. lol.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, December 24, 2005 3:13 PM
Alright guys I've done a bit more research and am now leaning towards the AutoTrans Interceptor as it seems that customization is better than "cool factor" (ie: the b&m in-car switch) in my head. *PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE*. My final two questions are these:

Is the Interceptor capable of LITERALLY doing the same thing as the ShiftPlus (ie: capable of increasing the line pressure to the same exact points of stage 1 and stage 2 on the b&m)?

I'm still a bit confused but from what I've read, aside from increasing line pressure, the Interceptor can also help modify the torque converter, does that translate to a change in shift points and if not then what does it mean/affect?

Thanks for all the help guys
Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:53 PM
Quote:

Is the Interceptor capable of LITERALLY doing the same thing as the ShiftPlus (ie: capable of increasing the line pressure to the same exact points of stage 1 and stage 2 on the b&m)?

That and some....it's much more adjustable. Say you don't want it as hard, you can turn it down with a small screw driver to the "T" that you want it.

Quote:

I'm still a bit confused but from what I've read, aside from increasing line pressure, the Interceptor can also help modify the torque converter, does that translate to a change in shift points and if not then what does it mean/affect?

No. It has nothing to do with increasing your stall on your torque converter nor does it change shift points. All it does is increase line pressure to perform more efficient shifts and not the usually sloppy shifting of an automatic.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search