Info on NVG Tranny Swap - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Info on NVG Tranny Swap
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:45 AM
I just blew the 5 speed transmission on my '99 Cavalier Z24. I am looking to do the NVG swap that I have read about here. I found a transmission from a '93 2 door Achieva SC that had a HO 2.3L. The scrap yard said his notes say that it is a New Venture model MY5. The VIN on the car is: 1G3NL14A5PM045640. IS this the same transmission and/or will this work as a direct swap? Any information on this would help out ALOT! Thanks in advance.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Re: Info on NVG Tranny Swap
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:18 PM
I didn't realize you had a Z when you wrote me that email. Thats not the same trans I'm running, so I'm not sure of specifics. All I can say is that it should work, seeing as how the bellhousing bolt patterns are the same. I don't know about it being a "direct" swap, since yours is a 2.4 and its coming off a 2.3. Sorry I can't be much more help.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:51 AM
You're gonna need to lengthen a shift cable and fabricate a rear mount. Nothing overly difficult.

Blew it up
Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:16 PM
I already knew about the part about fabricating a rear mount and the lengthening of the shift cable. That's no problem. I guess what I need to know is the following:

1. Is the MY5 tranny the same as the NVG-550? If not, is it similiar to the NVG in quality, working with a 2.4, etc.?

2. What other parts do I need for this transmission to work with my car. Do I need axles, different sensors, tranny mounts, etc.?

3. Will the VSS sensor from my Isuzu tranny work with the swapped tranny?

4. Will the clutch and flywheel from my Isuzu work (direct bolt-on with no modifications) with the swapped tranny?

Hopefully someone knows a few of these answers. I know there have been people that have done this swap. Thanks!

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:15 PM
1. Yes the MY5 is the correct tranny. If you want, ask and make sure the slave and throw out bearing are on piece and located on the inside of the bellhousing before you buy it.

2. You need the tranny and the front trans mount off the car it came from. If you shim your stock rear mount it will work properly, no fabbing required. You will have to drill out the 2 top holes for the bigger getrag bolts tho, not a big deal.

3. Your stock VSS plug will go right into the tranny and read correctly, no problems there.

4. Your stock isuzu clutch and flywheel will work just fine. If your smart tho, ask for the lighter getrag flywheel and just buy a new clutch for a 93 HO achieva. Might as well put a new one in while you got the tranny out.

Eventualy ill pull the cable extender bracket i made and take good pics and measurements for everybody and maybe even write a how too. If you want the pics i do have, go HERE!!!!!!!

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:09 PM
WOW! This is a great help! I never expected to get all of those questions answered so quickly. Thanks you VERY much! I just have a few more questions.

1. When you talk about the Getrag, do you really mean the flywheel from the Getrag or the Isuzu, because I have the Isuzu.

2. From what I read, a SPEC clutch for the Isuzu tranny will work with the MY5 tranny. Is that correct?

I think that's all the questions I have for now. I am going to try and pick up the transmission tomorrow. Would you be willing to help me with questions along the way? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all the help you have already given.

Luke

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:12 PM
There is one more question I forgot to ask in my last post which I am most concerned about.

Will the axles, joints, etc. that come stock on my 2.4L with the Isuzu tranny bolt directly to the MY5? Or do I have to get the axles, joints, etc. from the MY5 also?

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:37 PM
The "isuzu" flywheel is stepped up around the edges and this makes the clutch pressure plate specific to the stepped up flywheel. It also adds weight, quite a bit actualy. So long as the SPEC clutch you order is for the "isuzu" (ie Stepped) flywheel it will work no matter what tranny you have in there.

I mentioned the old getrag flywheel because its flat across and quite a bit lighter than the isuzu stepped one. If your already getting the tranny, and can get the flywheel cheap in the deal, its like getting a light weight flywheel for say 25 bucks er whatever. Not as light as an aluminum one, but every bit helps. If you plan on replacing the clutch anyways, why not? SPEC makes clutches for the older cars also.

You can run your stock axles just fine in the old getrag. I answered this in #2 earlier, just not directly. All you NEED is the tranny and the FRONT tranny mount from the car you pull it from. If you want the lighter flywheel get that too.

I might suggest the bolts from the rear trans mount, they are a bigger diameter than the isuzu ones and are just nice to have so you don't have to bother buying some down the road. Another optional item might be the passenger side axle and intermidiate shaft from the old car. Makes your passenger side axle equal length to the driver side and could cut down on torque steer. If your not pushing a ton of power or racing all the time at the strip, its probably not worth the hassle or money tho.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:15 PM
I just ordered the tranny and it should be here within the next day or so. I also ordered a SPEC clutch for the Isuzu tranny. I couldn't get a Getrag flywheel in time, so I decided to stick with the old flywheel. If anything, I may just get a aluminum flywheel sometime down the road. Anyway, I thought of some more questions.

1. Since I kept the Isuzu flywheel and went with an Isuzu clutch, it comes with a Isuzu throwout bearing. Will that work with the NVG, or will I have to buy a throwout ebaring for that particular transmission?

2. When you say that the rear mount needs to be only shimmed, what do you mean by that? What exactly did you have to do? shim it to the right, left, up? Any idea how much? I'm sure I will be able to tell more once I get it, but I'd like some sort of idea so I can get parts in order.

3. The tranny I got doesn't come with the shifter cable bracket. I was thinking of using the one from my Isuzu or possibly making one. I thought that instead of lengthening the shifter connector on the actual transmission, I would just move the bracket that holds the cable closer to the connectors. Then I realized the the actual shifter cable may be too short. Am I correct? If so, which part of the shifter assembly did you have to modify? It appears that you only had to modify the top piece where one of the cables connects too. The other cable doesn't look like its connector was modified. Could you clarify?

I'd hope to write up a How-To and compile some pictures when I am done with everything. Thanks again for all the help!

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:42 PM
nvg is stands for new venture gear.
if that helps
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search