replacing the clutch - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing the clutch
Sunday, December 18, 2005 5:57 PM
I have a 1994, 2.2L, 4cyl, std Cavalier Coupe.

Recently the clutch seems to be slipping and it's getting worse. If I apply over 60% throttle when accelerating, the rpm's rise but the speed doesn't. Someone told me that this could be oil on the clutch, but since it's slowly getting worse, I'm guessing that the clutch is just worn and not making good contact. (I have 200,000km on it, plus 3 people learned to drive stick on it).

Is there any adjustments I can try before I pull out out the tranny and replace the clutch?
I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, so I'm considering getting a $180 CDN clutch kit from Canadian Tire. Is that too crappy? Anyone have any better places to get one in the Toronto Area? Maybe you know of a good cheap place to replace my clutch for me?

I like to do my own work, but I've heard that replacing a clutch is a pain in the arse.
Are there any special tools that I need? I know I should get an alignment tool.

Any thoughts?
THANKS!

Re: replacing the clutch
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 4:57 AM
As far as I know there are no adjustments you can make to it.

Any OEM clutch ill do. Just make sure they have a manufacturers defect warranty on it. It would suck if you got it in and it was bad, then you would be up @!#$ creek.

An alignment tool is a must, but if your a little bit mechanically inclined you can do it. Its not super hard you just gotta have patience.

I know on my 02 I had to buy a 60 mm socket to take my axles out. I dont know about a 94.

Good luck.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Re: replacing the clutch
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 2:38 PM
I would advise you not to buy the Canadian Tire kit, it may have the proper warranty etc. but it is just too cheap - even for its price. I recently bought a clutch kit from Parts Source (which are really owned by Canadian Tire) and found a much better quality one afterwards.
Look at the clutch material itself, it usually looks very waxy, compare it to something from Car Quest or UAP for the same price.
I ended up with a clutch from Eurodrive in Burlington ON. They rebuild the clutches, machine flywheels etc. it was much cheaper and way better quality. It is not a franchise, its a family business and I was really happy with the work. The clutch material looks more like a brake material then the plastic stuff on the Parts Source one. The guy gave me good credit on the old clutch to boot.
When you buy a kit, there is often a plastic alignment tool included for free (as there was in mine).
Replacing the clutch is a real pain, but thats why people charge you $800 CAN and more to do the job for you. It can be done on your driveway (see post recently posted in this section) and I have done it safely with little experience and a simple jack, stands and some lumber.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search