Trans. Temp. Gauge, Is this location right...4t40E - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trans. Temp. Gauge, Is this location right...4t40E
Monday, December 19, 2005 12:22 PM
I been reading up on transmission temperature sending units locations. I see that a few people have mounted the sending unit in the plug under the transmission coolant lines.

Thanks bobby for the pic.

It there a better location for this, and does anybody know what the treaded hole size is?

I don't see a problem with the location, just wondering if there is a better one.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Re: Trans. Temp. Gauge, Is this location right...4t40E
Monday, December 19, 2005 2:49 PM
Hey that picture looks damn firmiliar .

If you buy the autometer gauge...The sender fits right into that spot...I thought that was pretty cool all I did was pull that bolt out. Then put the sender right in..Thats it man..

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Re: Trans. Temp. Gauge, Is this location right...4t40E
Monday, December 19, 2005 10:07 PM
-MD- Z24: do you have a tranny cooler? If not then, not meaning to thread jack, but does anyone have a better spot for the temp. gauge sender if a tranny cooler is hooked up to the system? I heard the pan on the transaxle, what do you guys think?

Blown.
Re: Trans. Temp. Gauge, Is this location right...4
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:38 AM
No trans cooler yet, would just like to know if I need one. Also would like to know what my trans is up to while I'm drag racing.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:03 AM
theres another plug just liek that on the back passenger side of the tranny on the like extension shaft if you want to call it that im not sure how much fluid is there or if there be any interfernce but its a plug just like it

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:10 PM
What temps are you guys getting?

FU Tuning

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:21 AM
Averages range from 160-190...depending on how much stop and go I am doing. Sometimes it gets up to 195 when I'm towing the jet ski.

Lately it hasnt gotten higher than 180 because its cooler down here now.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:55 AM
hi, dont mena to thread jack as will, but would this autometer have the adpater where it would plug into with the tranny sensor?
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=evendor.asp&N=120%20400237
thanks in advance.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:35 AM
with the internal trans temp the factory uses , and the 1 in that pic there is a average 5-10 degree difference

but its close enough to let you know what is going on , plus its easy to get to

i see temps as high as 220-230 with mine

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:07 PM
according to when i had the scan tool hooked up i never saw over 155 while beating on it in the snow driving around now if i sat and just stalled it to 2900 (i have a higher stall converter) and then just sat in one spot and spun up the tranny to like 6000 in gear yea i saw around 200 so normal everyday driving not much above 140 id guess

The one, the only, ME.
Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:20 PM
I would tee the sender in to the cooler line running/flowing out of the trans into the cooler in the radatior as that's where the fluid will be the hottest.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
1993 Lexus ES300
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

Friday, December 23, 2005 11:16 PM
Kevin Dennis wrote:I would tee the sender in to the cooler line running/flowing out of the trans into the cooler in the radatior as that's where the fluid will be the hottest.

That's what I originally planned on doing but if there's a plug I can just put my sensor into then it'll save me some work.

By the way, anyone have suggestions as to where/what cooler to get? (I'm sorry, -MD- Z24, I'm totally thread jacking. I posted a thread about this once but it never got answered. It seems you're more popular and get more responses).

Blown.
Saturday, December 24, 2005 3:09 PM
Get a B&M cooler. They're about $50.

www.bmracing.com

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
1993 Lexus ES300
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Saturday, December 24, 2005 5:27 PM
I've been looking at B&M coolers but I don't see if they come with a bypass, I figured I'd need the bypass for winter here in New England. And the only sizes that come with installation kits are the 11" x 7" or 8", nothing larger. I was hoping to find something larger, unless that would be fine for a boosted application?

-MD- Z24: did you have to use some kind of bung to attach the sending unit to the location near the coolant lines? If so, was this bung/adapter provided with your tranny temp. sending unit?

Blown.
Saturday, December 24, 2005 5:40 PM
B&M coolers are equipped with a bypass feature, and they're a better plate design over tube-and fin coolers.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
1993 Lexus ES300
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Saturday, December 24, 2005 7:59 PM
Don't know if this will work for you guys or not but i just tied the gauge right into the factory wiring in my bonnies. See's exactly what the ECM does and has yet to show any negitive effects. If any one is interested I have the pinouts. As a matter of fact i have the the whole ATSG set of manuals for the 4t60e's if any one wants info on there stall speed, final drive ratios, resistances, or any thing like that.

85 fiero GT 3800 sc swap in progress
98 Sunfire 4.9 and AWD swap in progress
85 S-10 turbocharged 3800
83 Citation x-11 turbocharged 3.1 with AWD 6000 running gear SOLD
94 Bonneville SLE daily driver
94 Bonneville SSEi wifes pearl pink daily driver
93 Bonneville SSEi I duno why
94 Bonneville SSEi parts for the rest of them

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:46 AM
Filip (The Polish Kid) wrote:-MD- Z24: did you have to use some kind of bung to attach the sending unit to the location near the coolant lines? If so, was this bung/adapter provided with your tranny temp. sending unit?

I have not done anything yet...but no adapter so far I am working on that. I believe but I am not sure that it needs to be a 1/2-14 NPT fitting. If someone could help and confirm that it would be great.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:42 PM
I just put the Yank in my trans and its running 140 on AutoTap scan tool.

Kyle

2002 B4C Camaro Black
2002 LS Sport Cavi Silver
Monday, January 16, 2006 9:21 AM
where can you get a tranny temp gauge?

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car tuning site)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 5:52 PM
CaliforniaCavalier wrote:where can you get a tranny temp gauge?

You can get them at any place that sells gauges. I purchased my Stewart Warner Performance gauges (inlcuding tranny temp gauge) at www.racerpartswholesale.com.

Blown.
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:50 PM
Ebay

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:56 AM
T J wrote:Don't know if this will work for you guys or not but i just tied the gauge right into the factory wiring in my bonnies. See's exactly what the ECM does and has yet to show any negitive effects. If any one is interested I have the pinouts. As a matter of fact i have the the whole ATSG set of manuals for the 4t60e's if any one wants info on there stall speed, final drive ratios, resistances, or any thing like that.

The books would be nice to see....but we are cursed with 4T40E transmissions...well THEY are. Im blessed with the F23 (or something) Getrag 5 speed

If it was me adding a temp gauge and trans cooler I would tap one of the lines coming out of the transmission going into the cooler and one coming out. Thats me though....I like to see the effectiveness of things like coolers. That is exactly why I'm looking to get 2 Intake Temp Sensors...one pre and one post IC. If you don't want to put 2 in then put it in the trans outlet line as close to the trans as possible. That should, theoretically, be the hottest liquid location.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:58 PM
I'm bringing this back from the dead because I finally got around to putting the tranny temp sensor in. I don't have a jack so my mechanic let me use his lift. I can't seem to find the correct spot for the sender even using the pic from the first page.

Does anyone have any other pics, preferably wider view, of the location?

My mechanic told me that the location I wanted to use for the sender was located at the high pressure lines and that is the wrong spot. Unless I'm looking at the wrong spot?

Blown.
Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:58 PM
If I remember correctly... that's the front of the trans case (by the cooling fan), but looking UP... the pic is upside down.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 6:03 PM
Yep just look at the front of the tranny case......you will see the two coolant lines.....and under those there is one lonely plug bolt.....take that out.....and immediately put the sender in, otherwise tranny fluid will start slowly leaking out......at least thats what happened to me

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search