Similar Autotrans Problem (only sticking) - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Similar Autotrans Problem (only sticking)
Monday, December 19, 2005 5:11 PM
Ok here's the deal. I have had an Autotrans Interceptor on my 01 cavalier 2.4l for about 2 months so far. For about a month I had noticed that the shift hardness fluctuated every day. Sometimes it would shift with the pressure being at about 30 psi+, but other days it seemed to shift like stock. I pretty much put this to as I had a faulty interceptor (and was contacting Autotrans) . Well today, I was driving and between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear, the my car would rev about an additional 1500 rpms before shifting to the next gear. I could fix this by letting off the gas at the appropriate rpm range and the gears then shifted, but not when I held the gas steady. It did the same thing after I took the interceptor off tonight. Any ideas? It seems to me that it could be that there might be a computer error, and that it has increased my auto shift points unknowingly? Or could I have done damage to my tranny with the interceptor? I'm kinda pissed either way at Autotrans for the p.o.s merchandise. Any help would very appreciated.

Thank you.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Re: Similar Autotrans Problem (only sticking)
Monday, December 19, 2005 7:29 PM
Have you tried adjusting it? Trying different levels?

Or removing it altogether and seeing if your tranny is in fact alright?

Might be low on fluid, hard to say.

Monday, December 19, 2005 7:36 PM
Do you have a hiperformance Power Control Module? Iīve had kind of same thing with a Venom PCM and Venom Fuel Injectors everithing works fine if I keep the pedal to the metal... shifts at around 6500rpm (with the interceptor now shifts are stronger and less slipp) but....there is always a but if say I push the throtle to 3/4 then it will not shift, feels like it sticks some in 2nd or 3rd unless you go wot or just let go the throtle also sometimes it kind of hesitates... maybe not enough fuel???. I think itīs something about the PCM but not sure.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 4:32 AM
Well I just got my fluid flushed and refilled about late july, but I will have to go check that. Lol the ironic thing is that if I had gotten my computer reprogrammed, I would have had this done to increase the shift points by a little. But this happening when it shouldn't is what kinda worries me. I have a funny feeling that my Interceptor may have may have set the hardness a little too hard, and thats why it was sticking. I took it off last night and left the battery off to reset the computer to see if there was any changes. If that doesn't help, it's going to Cottman's today for the transmission diagnosis.

And I don't have a PCM like you ahd mentioned. But thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.

I'll keep you guys updated.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:18 PM
Yeah so Cottman's gave me an estimate of around 1500$ becuase they found a leak in the transmission's pressure. Hopefully if I talk to Autotrans they may give some assistance, but other than that I think I'm gonna be screwed.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:18 PM
Joe, parts to completely rebuild the tranny are somewhere around $1200 Labor=?
For what they told you it sounds as a blown seal... in your case I would get another professional opinion and estimate...cause it seems expensive unless thatīs a quote to a COMPLETE REBUILD, let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.
Monday, December 26, 2005 8:45 PM
Yeah so the $1500 original estimate wasn't the final one. Cottman's called back and after the tear-down. they found one of the brass fittings got shredded and sent metal filings throughout the transmission, They are doing a total rebuild and it is running around $550 for labor and then $1600 for the rebuild. I did a search around the area for another Z24 for under 40k miles on it, and couldn't deliver on that one. So I just went a head with the rebuild as I need the car in like 2 days. Oh well if I drop this money into this car, I'm into it for the long run now. I had been debating on a Coblat SS 2.4L or a Scion tC, but yeah lol. To me the price seems a little high, but the time delay and the frustration has pretty much made me decide already. Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks for everything so far guys.

Monday, December 26, 2005 10:56 PM
Ouch... I would have hit up a wrecker for a used one. Around here, 4T40E's go for $300 with a six-month warranty. Heck, after I swapped to a getrag, I sold mine for $100 and it was a strong runner, no problems.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:07 AM
The only good part about Cottmans is that that fee included a 3 year warranty on any trnasmission problems. lol the only good thing. Yeah and the only part is that I keep trying to keep myself from thinking that my cost is about the same as the supercharger....well im gonna go cry myself to sleep haha. Take it easy.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:42 PM
What brass fitting? Do you mean a bushing or thrust bearing?
Keep us updated on how it works after the rebuild.
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:20 PM
My bad....it was a brass bushing that was getting chewed up. I drove it up to Cleveland for the last 3 days and back to Columbus, and its been running great actually. Well actually for f'n 2k, it better be running great lol I called cottman's for a check-up and am taking it in 2 days for the check-up and then I'll know more. Thanks for staying interested in this guys!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:15 AM
Awesome... so yeah its been like 600 miles since I had my tranny's soft parts replaced and rebuilt. It's been running fine until now. I was on the way to work, going about 70 mph, when all of the sudden, my rpm's jumped to 6500 when I should have been at like 2200/3000ish. I pulled over and got it taken to Cottman's and they ran a dianostic on all the transmission sensors. Not a single code came up, my fluid is fine, and they are stumped. Any ideas? They took it for a half hour test drive on th highway and nothin happened. This is starting to piss me off. Thanks for any help.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search