B&M short throw - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
B&M short throw
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:13 PM
This shifter says it accepts the factory knob, does that mean the reverse thing too, where you have to lift up the piece to shift into reverse?

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=3&subcat=15&pid=118

Re: B&M short throw
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:07 PM
It cant take factory knob because its almost impossible to yank off the stock knob to get the shifter out. I think B&M made a mistake with the website. Plus the B&M shifter with its new knob gets screwed onto the stick not pressed on like the stock GM knob.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:23 PM
Maybe it's just my car that does this, but for example, when you're driving 30, can you easily shift into 1st gear, or do you have to push the shifter really hard? Is that with all manuals? It the B&M like this? I don't want to slam it into reverse when I'm downshifting to 4th.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:04 AM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:Maybe it's just my car that does this, but for example, when you're driving 30, can you easily shift into 1st gear, or do you have to push the shifter really hard? Is that with all manuals? It the B&M like this? I don't want to slam it into reverse when I'm downshifting to 4th.

Why on earth would you want to do that? what gear are you in when going 30 to shift into first?

i cant see why you would do that at all. youll kill your transmission!

Stop Doping it or it will cost you...
and with the short shifter you wont have the lock out in the reverse gear cause its not stock.

thought i would help..
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:It cant take factory knob because its almost impossible to yank off the stock knob to get the shifter out. I think B&M made a mistake with the website. Plus the B&M shifter with its new knob gets screwed onto the stick not pressed on like the stock GM knob.

this is true...

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:57 AM
I've never released the clutch trying to shift into 1st going 30. I know better than that, I was just wondering if the shifter was hard to put in the 1st position (clutch pressed in). I want to know if that's for every manual or every Cavy, or just mine.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:39 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:I've never released the clutch trying to shift into 1st going 30. I know better than that, I was just wondering if the shifter was hard to put in the 1st position (clutch pressed in). I want to know if that's for every manual or every Cavy, or just mine.

I KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT

CAUSE ON MY BEATER CAVALIER IT WOULD BE A PAIN IN THE ASS TO SHIFT INTO 1ST IT WOULD FEEL LIKE YOU WOULD HAVE TO JAM IT IN.

THERE'S LIKE THIS PEICE IN THE ENGINE IT LOOKS LIKE A SCRES IN A LITTLE CYCLE THING

THAT SCREW OF YOURS ISN'T BIG ENOUGH AND NEEDS TO BE BIGGER UR GRINDED DOWN
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:45 PM
on the B&M shifter for the getrag tranny, it does have reverse lockout and its the same as the stock one, only shorter (duh, shorter shifter) and metal, as far as the knob going on...it may go on, but the new shifter is threaded for its own knob, which IMO looks ton better.....till its 15 degrees outside

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:08 PM
Quote:

I KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT
CAUSE ON MY BEATER CAVALIER IT WOULD BE A PAIN IN THE ASS TO SHIFT INTO 1ST IT WOULD FEEL LIKE YOU WOULD HAVE TO JAM IT IN.

THERE'S LIKE THIS PEICE IN THE ENGINE IT LOOKS LIKE A SCRES IN A LITTLE CYCLE THING

THAT SCREW OF YOURS ISN'T BIG ENOUGH AND NEEDS TO BE BIGGER UR GRINDED DOWN

It's only sometimes though, when I'm barely moving, like 4 mph, it slides right into 1st, other times, it's much tougher (usually when I'm stopped). What screw piece in the engine....

Does the B&M come with the knob, or is that sold seperately?
Thursday, December 15, 2005 4:22 AM
comes with the knob for the getrags, not sure on the izuzu tranny cars

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:42 PM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:It cant take factory knob because its almost impossible to yank off the stock knob to get the shifter out. I think B&M made a mistake with the website. Plus the B&M shifter with its new knob gets screwed onto the stick not pressed on like the stock GM knob.

no it's not
it's very easy to take it out

you just pop it back in place

it works for the bm shifter i learned that today
Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:03 PM
Isuzu's short shifter uses the manual lock out, im thinking its either part of the shifter (didnt really see how in putting it in), or the tranny. The auto lockout of 1st atleast for the Isuzu i believe is tranny related, prevents morons from going back into first instead of 3rd. The Isuzu (95-99) short shifter has the groves in the sides for the clip, in fact im using my stock knob, IMO i like the leather over most of the aftermarket knobs out there.

Friday, December 16, 2005 12:59 PM
On the 2k+ Js: You basically have to destroy the factory knob to get the shifter out, so no reusing it regardless, it's just pressed on foam rubber.

Hard shifting into 1st:
For going into 1st at 30....the synchronizers in the transmission make that hard because it's got to try to spin the gear damn fast to make it line up nicely. Think about it, red-line in 1st is like 25ish, so to revmatch at 30 you'd have to be standing on the throttle. That's pretty hard to make up for with synchros.

As for low speeds, it's kinda the opposite, there's not much motion in the trans to let the synchros move to let it slip in easy. I find its easier drop to second then slide it up to 1st (same clutch motion)

Hitting reverse downshifting from 5th:
There's a lockout in the trans that prevents you from going directly from 5th to reverse, as well as the safety collar on the shifter, so there's no real danger there unless you really, really strongarm it. Seriously, gorilla level strength I'm thinkin.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Friday, December 16, 2005 10:25 PM
Thanks squisher, good information to know.
Saturday, December 17, 2005 3:20 PM
I was able to salvage my stock shift knob (not easy, involved a vice), and just screwed it onto the B&M shifter rod, cutting threads as I went. I like it far better than the cold/hot aluminum shift knob that came with the shifter.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:50 AM
squisher00z24 wrote:On the 2k+ Js: You basically have to destroy the factory knob to get the shifter out, so no reusing it regardless, it's just pressed on foam rubber.

Hitting reverse downshifting from 5th:
There's a lockout in the trans that prevents you from going directly from 5th to reverse, as well as the safety collar on the shifter, so there's no real danger there unless you really, really strongarm it. Seriously, gorilla level strength I'm thinkin.

Yes but that is only if you put the aftermarket lockout on the aftermarket shifter. With my b&m i left it off cause I didnt like the way it looked and even still to get into reverse without the lockout you have to push to the right, i have yet to slip into reverse from 5th and dont think i ever will.

Also if you arent 10 years old you should be able to get the stock shift knob off with a little bit of strenght, my friend also re-used his. All he did was really make his own threads inside the stock one by forcing it on the b&m(turning while pushing down). it looks good and is damn tight so it will never come loose.
Friday, December 23, 2005 9:00 AM
i have my stock knob on my b&m short throw

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.6@86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search