Install '94 2.2L w/auto into '89 w/2.0L std tran - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Install '94 2.2L w/auto into '89 w/2.0L std tran
Friday, December 02, 2005 11:12 AM
I've got an '89 Cavalier with 2.0L 5 speed tranny that I raced (dirt circle track) last season. This engine was really kind of a dog....I need more power in the straights.

I've found a Cavalier '94 2.2L with automatic transmission that I can get a good deal on but I am worried about how much trouble I'm going to have taking this engine from automatic to manual.

Can someone give me information on what I'd have to do to make the tranny swap? I know that the '94 engine will bolt right into my '89 chassis. I'm planning on swapping out the engine, harness & computer from the '94 to my '89.

Will the computer out of the '94 automatic work without any programming changes on my 5 speed? Or is it going to throw an error code because its looking for shifting points off the automatic transmission?

The guy that has the '94 Cavalier for sale is telling me that he's 95% sure that I can use the flywheel off of my '89 & this engine should bolt right up. Is this all there is to it?

Any help would be appreciated. The last thing I want to do is buy this car for the engine & not be able to use it in my racecar....

Re: Install '94 2.2L w/auto into '89 w/2.0L std tran
Sunday, December 04, 2005 5:37 PM
94 Js never came with an electronic trans, so don't worry about any codes. Yes the flywheel from the 89 2.0 will bolt right up, just make sure you use the correct bolts (the flexplate bolts aren't long enough).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search