Good oil to use for a turbo vehicle - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Good oil to use for a turbo vehicle
Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:54 AM
Well basically what the topic says, I will be turbo'd soon but want to know what kind of motor oil I should use.

This is a question I'm asking for a couple reasons...I am currently running Synthetic Oil but I was told that synthetic isn't good for a turbo'd vehicle because it's not good for the turbos internals and there is more likely problems from doing this.

I was told Royal Purple would be good to use...any other suggestions?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Re: Good oil to use for a turbo vehicle
Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:36 AM
NJHK (The JBO Negro) wrote:Well basically what the topic says, I will be turbo'd soon but want to know what kind of motor oil I should use.

This is a question I'm asking for a couple reasons...I am currently running Synthetic Oil but I was told that synthetic isn't good for a turbo'd vehicle because it's not good for the turbos internals and there is more likely problems from doing this.

I was told Royal Purple would be good to use...any other suggestions?

that synthetic thing is news to me... turbonetics told me to use synthetic.

I was told to run just a little heavier weight by a few people like 5w 40 or 10w 40

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:11 AM
Hmmm I've just been running 5w30 synthetic mobile 1. No problems yet.....but I'm listening.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:12 AM
really ...........................

I used Mobil 1 5-30 before turbo .............

Now I use Castrol Syntec 5-50.................... The car runs GREAT with it !

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:13 AM
^^^same

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:14 AM
What do you guys know about Royal Purple on our turbo cars?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:17 AM
it's great just get the proper weight and your looking good !!! I want to switch but it's like $7.00 /L up here ..... FORGET THAT ..... I spend $33 CDN on 4L of Syntec.... and $12.00 on the Synthetic oil filter...... so $50.00 changes everything month SUCK ..............

But again 5-50 hasn't given me ANY problems

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:31 AM
why are you guys running 5-50, I've never heard of people doing that... very interested

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:50 AM
what I had said was that synthetic oil gets thinner in a turbo than regular oil wih the extreme heat. It wont wear out parts faster, it will leak through the seals unless you up the weight. I'm using 10w30 regular oil with my sunbird.

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:54 AM
so what do you recommend for minion ? 5w40 synthetic oil ? I use 5w30 Torco SR-1 at the moment and am getting bossted this summer.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:56 AM
eh... I use mobile 1 5w30 or 10w30 depending. and thats what I will always use. never let me down either. and with that extreme heat I want a oil that can stand the tolarance.

**changes are here**

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:04 AM
The misconception is that regular motor oil is not good for turbo use when actually it is. Oil is made to a specific API rating to cover broad uses. Remember that the first number of a multi visc oil is when the oil is hot, not cold. 5w50 is a little hard on the motor until it warms up, but doesn't offer any more protection when oil is warm

Basically, what I am saying is the oil that NHJK is using is fine 10w30 synthetic max.

It doesn't hurt that I work for Valvoline, LOL!!

Jason
99 Z24

Racers Edge
Johnny Mack Turbo Systems
Engineered Performance
Thursday, January 05, 2006 2:57 PM
from all tired and true, aged, wise mechanics i know... no synthetic oil can really beat dino oil when it comes to parts (Even though synthetic can last longer). For you adam, in jersey, id say 5-30 for the winter, and 10-40 for the summer... or 10-40 could probably work all year round. (at least thats what ive been doing, switching) i use castrol.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:02 PM
You guys do know that our cars are designed to run using 5w30 to 10w30? I would just use 10w30 Royal Purple synthetic, Adam. Don't risk throwing all that money away over some claim that heavier oil is better for a turbocharged jbody.

Just so you know, the viscosity of the oil decreases as the oil becomes warmer. You don't want thick ass oil trying to flow through your turbocharger when you turn it on during a cold day that's like 32 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Wouldn't you rather have smooth flowing oil to begin with for nominal operation? Basic physics folks!

Saab Turbo Project... 2006
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:23 PM
Sasuke wrote:You guys do know that our cars are designed to run using 5w30 to 10w30? I would just use 10w30 Royal Purple synthetic, Adam. Don't risk throwing all that money away over some claim that heavier oil is better for a turbocharged jbody.

Just so you know, the viscosity of the oil decreases as the oil becomes warmer. You don't want thick ass oil trying to flow through your turbocharger when you turn it on during a cold day that's like 32 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Wouldn't you rather have smooth flowing oil to begin with for nominal operation? Basic physics folks!

umm.... I have been running heavier oil for pretty long and other people have and no one has problems so take that bs comment and eat it....

and I disagree with your oil explanation too... I think a little heavier oil is better as do a lot of people, mechanics, and tested racers on turbo motors. May I see your certification?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:29 PM
I'm not turboed but I love purpe royal.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:38 PM
I dont understand why everyone wants to run any viscosity oil other than what it says in the manual. In my manual it says 5w30. Just keep what it says in your owners manual in the car and it will run good.

From the all research I've done (Online forums, magazines etc) Redline Oil is far more superior than Royal Purple, but who really knows. I'm happy with my Sythentic 5w-30 Mobile 1 oil, it's good enough for the corvette, and it's good enough for my turbo cavy.

With that being said...
QBE: Why do you and other people (mechanics, and tested racers on turbo motors) think a thicker oil is better?
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:40 PM
Actually, the 2nd # is the oil's viscosity at 100C. The first # is when the car is cold, but not related to the 2nd, 30 weight should be fine, 5w30 or 10w30 Mobil 1 i would recommend. I personally use Mobil 1 5w30, and my boss who's got a 68 GTO that he drag races, i believe he uses 10w40, but its a different style of car as well. He uses 5 or 10w30 in his Avalanche, and 10w30 in his wife's 3800 Impala. Knowing that Mobil 1 was the first Synthetic oil on the market (and patented for 50 yrs) It is the only true Synthetic out there on the market, with the others having parafin in them, ie like 96% synthetic, and the rest being candle wax..

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:58 PM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:
umm.... I have been running heavier oil for pretty long and other people have and no one has problems so take that bs comment and eat it....

and I disagree with your oil explanation too... I think a little heavier oil is better as do a lot of people, mechanics, and tested racers on turbo motors. May I see your certification?

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I don't need to eat any comment I make, but I hope that you can some day acquire some reading comprehension. Anyway, you missed my point in the post I typed above. "Our" cars are NOT designed for higher viscosity oil. Turbocharged or not, unless you have a "race" motor, which you don't, utilizing higher viscosity oil in the typical streetable Cavy isn't necessary. There are many performance TURBO vehicles that use 5w30 to 10w30 synthetic oil like the Mitsubishi EVO for example. Point proven. I don't have a certification by the way, but I am a physics major. Cheers!

Saab Turbo Project... 2006
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:17 PM
the first and second number are directly related... the work one a straight visc. line

they are both at certain temps, then just draw the line...

Viscosity-temperature relationship : The manner in which the viscosity of a given fluid varies inversely with temperature. Because of the mathematical relationship that exists between these two variables, it is possible to predict graphically the viscosity of a petroleum fluid at any temperature within a limited range if the viscosities at two other temperatures are known. The charts used for this purpose are the ASTM Standard Viscosity-Temperature Charts for liquid Petroleum Products, available in 6 ranges. If two know viscosity-temperature points of a fluid are located on the chart and a straight line drawn through them, other viscosity-temperature values of the fluid will fall on this line; however, values near or below the cloud point of the oil may deviate from the straight-line relationship.

can't remember but I think it is on a ASTM graph or something, and which oil is better, hmmmm, I agree with buddy above, lots of vehicles(turbo) run 5w30 factory seems to work.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:25 PM
Saab eco 2.0 turbos use 0w40. Mobil 1 syn.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:42 PM
I don't think anyone here has hit the nail on the head yet, so I'll give it a shot...
First, there are two considerations for what oil to use on a turbo motor...what's best for the motor, and what's best for the turbo. Now to make this as short as possible, the motor may prefer 10w30, but the turbo won't. Most people turbocharging their Js are using oil-cooled turbos which cost more than a spare engine would, so it only makes sense to use what is best for the turbo when looking at it from a repair/replace cost standpoint. I can pick up another engine and put it in for a couple hundred, but another turbo will run a few hundred more than that. This is only considering a stock engine of course, as a built engine would flip it around.
The center section on an oil-cooled turbo will get VERY hot, hot enough to brake down lower viscosity oil if you push it (and who doesn't ), ruining the turbo. This is why you run a higher viscosity. Factory turbo cars can use lower viscosity oil because they almost always use water-cooled turbos, so the oil doesn't see as much heat.
Feel free to correct if necessary, this is just how I see it.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:02 PM
listening...

I run M1 10w30 being it doesn't get cold enough here for 5w30 like GM recommends.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:11 PM
OHV notec wrote:I don't think anyone here has hit the nail on the head yet, so I'll give it a shot...
First, there are two considerations for what oil to use on a turbo motor...what's best for the motor, and what's best for the turbo. Now to make this as short as possible, the motor may prefer 10w30, but the turbo won't. Most people turbocharging their Js are using oil-cooled turbos which cost more than a spare engine would, so it only makes sense to use what is best for the turbo when looking at it from a repair/replace cost standpoint. I can pick up another engine and put it in for a couple hundred, but another turbo will run a few hundred more than that. This is only considering a stock engine of course, as a built engine would flip it around.
The center section on an oil-cooled turbo will get VERY hot, hot enough to brake down lower viscosity oil if you push it (and who doesn't ), ruining the turbo. This is why you run a higher viscosity. Factory turbo cars can use lower viscosity oil because they almost always use water-cooled turbos, so the oil doesn't see as much heat.
Feel free to correct if necessary, this is just how I see it.

SO is what your saying ...... is that a 10-40, or a 5-50 or something of that nature would be better for a stock internal turbo J...... ???

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:51 PM
Lee wrote:SO is what your saying ...... is that a 10-40, or a 5-50 or something of that nature would be better for a stock internal turbo J...... ???
I'm saying you need to assess your priorities to determine the optimal oil. I have a built engine and a junkyard turbo, so I plan on running 10W30 (not a daily driver and it's never below 40*F here, but often above 110*F, otherwise I'd run it even thinner). For a stock engine turning the odometer fairly rapidly and a pricey turbo, I'd definately say to go with 10w40. It all depends on you and your car.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search