Hahn Stage 2 for the ecotec...couple q's - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hahn Stage 2 for the ecotec...couple q's
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:18 PM
Ok im planning on purchasing the stage 2 for my ecotec and i just need to know a couple things.

Down pipe assembly? Is this included in the Hahn kit?

Tapping into the oil pan? How hard is this to do? I will have help from a lisenced mechanic and a hydraulic lift so.

Do you recommend anything like a boost controller, FMU, or anything else?

I already have a full 2.5 inch magnaflow exhaust so thats taken care of.

Re: Hahn Stage 2 for the ecotec...couple q's
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:12 PM
FMU comes with the kit, its bolt on and go pretty much, other than the oil pan tapping. You need to remove the oil pan to tap it.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:21 PM
To remove the oil pan is not a big problem and shifted is right, the hahn kit is ready to go and it has a rising-rate unit FMU.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:11 PM
Thanks guys but what about the down pipe......casue i have a weapon r header installed right now and i think the piping might not line up correctly? think this might cause a lil problem?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:17 PM
comes with a new down pipe

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:37 PM
you will have a part to sell shortly. the weapon-r header is not used with the turbo kit. you get a nice turbo manifold and custom downpipe assembly to replace it.

you got my email and AIM name. find me and ill answer an questions you got.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:24 PM
whats the size of downpipe? 2.5''? bigger?

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:29 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^im sorry but your quote will be proven wrong by an AUTO at that

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:35 PM
yea i found that on a website one night and it made me laugh

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:13 PM
the downpipe from Hahn is 2.25in. This is the same size as is being run on Adam Hahn's 11 second Sunfire....so don't tell me its too small

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:15 AM
hypsy(the12secondone) wrote:the downpipe from Hahn is 2.25in. This is the same size as is being run on Adam Hahn's 11 second Sunfire....so don't tell me its too small

it is.. if it was bigger he'd be running faster

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:15 AM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:
hypsy(the12secondone) wrote:the downpipe from Hahn is 2.25in. This is the same size as is being run on Adam Hahn's 11 second Sunfire....so don't tell me its too small

IT"S DEFINITELY TOO SMALL..... the same car with the same set up with the same pounds of boost entering the intake manifold will be much faster with a LARGER down pipe.... I know this because I saw 4 psi more with the 3" then I did with my 2 1/4..... AND it spools like double the speed.......... so ya QBE is right ...... he would be faster with a larger D.P.

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:53 AM
Lee wrote:
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:

IT"S DEFINITELY TOO SMALL..... the same car with the same set up with the same pounds of boost entering the intake manifold will be much faster with a LARGER down pipe.... I know this because I saw 4 psi more with the 3" then I did with my 2 1/4..... AND it spools like double the speed.......... so ya QBE is right ...... he would be faster with a larger D.P.

Lee

An important point to keep in mind...unless you are trying to make over 400 HP with a Hahn system, a 2.25" downpipe will not extensively affect you in terms of HP. We've done 'exhaustive' testing with this aspect.

I can't speak for your results, Lee, but the aspect of higher boost seen (the 4 PSI you describe) is more a result of the specific flow effects the pipe size change caused, than a pure HP-per-psi-of-boost gain. If the turbo also spooled faster, it was either due to this higher boost, or the fact that the small pipe you replaced was a real stinker in design, which ours isn't!

Of course, to be completely scientific, one would have to do back-to-back tests with a Hahn RaceCraft system, comparing the Hahn 2.25" downpipe with a properly engineered 3" unit at identical boost and AF ratio. Chances are good that in such a controlled test, at moderate boost levels on a stock head/cam engine (6-15 PSI), you'd see little difference in actual HP produced from one to the other. One thing you would likely see, however, is degraded low-speed performance with the 3" unit...oversized piping sharply reduces velocity, which has a derisive effect on exhaust scavenging efficiency, and thus low and midrange torque suffer, as can turbocharger response. Our standard systems take all this into account, and we aim for an overall effect that delivers in all areas, not just hi-RPM horsepower. Of course, as Adam's car proves, the hi-RPM power also ain't nothing to sneeze at!

Additionally, a common mistake folks make in general is comparing the turbocharged downpipe with normally aspirated exhaust characteristics. With the much greater pressure drop evident in a turbocharged application (from positive exhaust pressure), a given size of pipe flows much more turbocharged than NA.

For clarification...Adam's car ran either a 3" cat-back exhaust in the hi 11's, or an open 2.25" downpipe when in mid-low 11's...we are by no means advocating a 2.25" exhaust system all the way back....just trying to inject some information regarding the downpipe size. I just don't want anyone to get the mistaken impression that a 2.25" downpipe is a serious limitation.

Would Adam's car make more HP with a larger downipe? You bet! But we intentionally limited ourselves in this area to show the outer limit of what's available with our standard, off-the-shelf system.

Now, on the other hand...what we have done with our other applications is ultimately offer 3" downpipes for higher-HP versions. Of course, until there are enough cars running hi-HP to make this matter, it's a moot point. We're confident that this point will be reached soon with the Eco-J, and as such, Adam's car will be used to develop this product in 2006. Until then, our customers will have to suffer with a mere 475 HP upper limit on their standard systems!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:33 AM
Darn it Bill. What if I want 476HP? Am I SOL?

I need to get a hold of you in the near future too...would it be best to call you or email you?

Thursday, January 05, 2006 2:51 PM
just chiming in, blue splash.. if your state requires catalytic converters, id recommend having a high-flow cat with an o2 sensor bung on the rear end of it.. the hahn downpipe is just a straight pipe leading to your cat back exhaust system, theres no place for the stock cat. oil pan... youll need to find a 3/8" pipe tap (order online is what i did). i hope you choose the hahn kit... i have one... kicks ass.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 9:48 AM
I do live in pa and they do require the converter. I am planning on ordering the high flow magnaflow cat from gravana at the same time i order my turbo. Ill just have the exhaust shop weld in the cat. As for the 3/8 pipe tap i think ill be able to find a place around here that sells one. Thats for info Bill, Hypsy and everyone else.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:41 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

I can't speak for your results, Lee, but the aspect of higher boost seen (the 4 PSI you describe) is more a result of the specific flow effects the pipe size change caused, than a pure HP-per-psi-of-boost gain. If the turbo also spooled faster, it was either due to this higher boost, or the fact that the small pipe you replaced was a real stinker in design, which ours isn't!

One thing you would likely see, however, is degraded low-speed performance with the 3" unit...oversized piping sharply reduces velocity, which has a derisive effect on exhaust scavenging efficiency, and thus low and midrange torque suffer, as can turbocharger response.

Your turbo system is the BEST turbo system out for the J-body ..........PERIOD..
so in NO way, shape, or form would I knock the design....... You did what you did for a reason....

I know you can not speak for MY personal set up ..... BUT................

There are a Couple of things I have questions on .......................

My piping size................... since I changed my piping size to a larger size I have noticed PURE PERFORMANCE......... not one of my dyno pulls or anything had a lesser result................ it just PURELY pulls harder, faster, and with a more torquey feel......

The turbocharger response was upped GREATLY due to the complete 3" system now incorperated with my car ...... (Side exit... NO restriction...cat...muffler... NOTHING)

I went from my 6 psi to 10psi the FIRST time down the street.... I had to come back to the shop and turn up my fmu to make the car pull all the way to redline....
(I was leaning out before I upped my FMU)

NOW that has all been said ........

The hahn system incorperates a smaller turbo 16G vs T3 .63 trim .... thus it doesn't need a LARGE downpipe to make the system work together................your design had been tried tested and true... chevy .......................................... so I couldn't EVER say anything bad about it YOU SIR (Bill Hahn) are the WHOLE reason I boosted my cavi... your company showed me what COULD be possible..................

From my findings with my car ........ the upgrade in piping size was a great performance booster............

just imagine........ I dropped the car off with a 2 1/4" turbo back ............ I left with a 3" and 4 psi MORE.................. it was like I picked up a different car.......I would think I netted another 50bhp from that one trip to the exhaust shop......... not to mention I set of 4 car alarms when I was leaving ............so I was happy with it )

My second question ................. Bill, do you suggest I move from 2" charge piping all around to something a little bigger........ fitting the pipes is the LEAST of my worries....

Thanks in advance Bill.

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search