Too restrictive? Exhaust opinions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Too restrictive? Exhaust opinions
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:14 AM
Yes I did quite a lot of searching but could not find what I was looking for. I plan to purchase a Hahn Stage II soon. I was thinking to run a Magnaflow race series 5X8" oval with 3 inch inlet/outlet. I plan to use 2.5" piping made by a local shop. I do not want my car to be super loud or sound like a buzz can. I found Magnaflow resonators in 4" diameters in 14" and 18" lengths. Would using a resonator and muffler be too restrictive? I know only one muffler would be pretty loud. Any examples of setups would also be helpful since I also need a high flow cat.
Thanks guys.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"

Re: Too restrictive? Exhaust opinions
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:22 AM
Most people are going to tell you to go with a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust to get the full exhaust flow for the turbo. I have a 2.5 inch on my cav now and im also purchasing a hahn stage 2 kit and im going to run the 2.5 till i can get a 3 inch.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:32 AM
hahn sticks with 2 1/4" for their stage 2 kit

he has said the 2 1/4" is good for 350 hp

id stick with 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" , there is no need for 3"

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:28 AM
I disagree Eric.. I think in any turbo car 3 inches is best mayb 4 but not till you reach like 700 hp..

how is a 2.25 good for 350 hp that does not make sense? if he ahd 3 inch hed be getting like 370... more hp is always good..

I think rating exhaust size is per whp is just stupid

but thats just me...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:24 PM
Thanks for the input on the piping guys. I think I was pretty well set on the 2.5" piping. I really do not want a very loud setup. I do need input on the muffler and resonator situation though as well as cat converter info.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:01 PM
Open pipe out the side....Muffled with a piece of wire mesh.

My cuz has a Magnaflow cat-back...it sounds good (deep & mellow)but he has a cat and a resonator(18"). and its 2.5 inch.

I like ravin mufflers too...there was a guy posted a bit back with one it sounded like a sub woofer test track.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:44 PM
As long as both the resonator and muffler have perforated cores, thenh there is no need to worry about restriction no matter what size muffler and resonator you go with.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search