Its time for boost again. cams go good with? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Its time for boost again. cams go good with?
Friday, December 30, 2005 5:31 AM
in my never ending supply of money. I have ordered a brand new gm s/c kit for my z.

Just would like to know how well the intake and exhaust secret cams will go with it.

Sorry...
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-09-21

00:33:32. This ban will expire 2005-09-28 00:33:32 Pacific Time.
Reason: Comments over the top regarding Jordan Kruger and other members in Versus. Also, if you have a problem with a member e-mailing you, do not bring it into the forums.

If you believe this to be in error, please contact us.

Re: Its time for boost again. cams go good with?
Friday, December 30, 2005 6:27 AM
very well

i love them

Friday, December 30, 2005 6:28 AM
need anything answered, just ask away.

welcome to the club

Friday, December 30, 2005 6:50 AM
Jake wrote:
welcome to the club

only one problem with that statment. you need to add the word back. lol

next weekend I will be boosted again.

what kind of gains should i expect with the cams?

Sorry...

Reason: Comments over the top regarding Jordan Kruger and other members in Versus. Also, if you have a problem with a member e-mailing you, do not bring it into the forums.

Friday, December 30, 2005 7:12 AM
not sure.

butt dyno was happy

Friday, December 30, 2005 8:39 AM
very cool congrats!
Friday, December 30, 2005 9:50 AM
Quote:

Sinrocker wrote:in my never ending supply of money.

Oooo...Can I have some? .....LOL

Friday, December 30, 2005 10:58 AM
EnviouZ wrote:
Quote:

Sinrocker wrote:in my never ending supply of money.

Oooo...Can I have some? .....LOL

lol last week i logged in 77hours at work. I work my butt off so play time can be extra special.

Sorry...

Friday, December 30, 2005 2:52 PM
Quote:

i logged in 77hours at work
..... man how ca you do that? I go nuts after about 25....course I gotta fit school in that too but Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyymm.

Sorry for the distraction. I also have heard that the secret cam work well with boost.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:38 AM
The Cams formerly known as secret (you might have missed my thread about that) with the GM charger will do you well. The duration, as we all know, is seemingly perfect for boost and N/A. It's right around the fun spot. You should have no problem gaining torque from those cams. The problem is, it won't be as noticable due to2 things. For one, you already get a massive jolt from boost. Two, you need headwork to maximize flow. If you don't have any headwork already done... I'd go ahead and do it. Have fun bro

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:30 AM
Assuming your head is unported, they will be alright. A friend of mine threw them on his cav with the GM charger and felt zero butt-dyno increase. In fact he was completely disappointed with how they felt like they did absoloutely nothing to his setup.

And yes they are timed right he is a GM Tech.

Everybody thinks the hybrid cams are god's gift to cheap cam upgrades... personally I'd rather port my head, have it flowed and a custom set of cams cut to compliment my setup, rather then put in extremely mild cams that might not make much of a difference.

And yes, I did run these cams for a few months but I ran into my issues with them. They certainly changed the car N/A but most of it was due to my ported and polished head... which is also the reason for the problems I had with them. I took them out in favour of stockers. I also know a few people who took them out because they lost power with them over stock.

The .org is going to say "do it do it do it" because 2 or 3 people push them very hard and the rest of the sheep just move along with them in agreeance.

Good luck with your decision, I hope you're willing to buy new lifters when you get the new cams as you should. Price those babies out and make your decision.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:44 AM
It really all depends on your application. Ported head and no wear on the cam lobes, it'll give you gains. But that's why you don't go pull a cam out of a junkyard car. To me that's a pretty stupid idea, especialy when we are talking about early 90's model cars with god knows how many miles on them. If you are going to go to a dealsership and spend $xxx amount on new cams, you might as well also just call up Crane cams and have custom profiles. I'm not trying to contradict myself based on my earlier post about the cams formerly known as secret. But at least you have multiple options ahead of you.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:46 PM
I just put them in this weekend.
I tell you what, The butt dyno loves it
When the car gets up around 4500 RPMs. It pulls like a banshee.
My buddy says "Sucks you have to shift", b/c the power comes on so hard.
3rd Used to be somewhat of a dog but now. It seems like it pulls as hard second used to.
The car also mantains a stock idle.
The gears seems so short now, because I'm just flying through them.
It something you have to experience yourself.
But I give them two huge thumbs up. I couldn't be happier.
Thanks to PimpinZ24 and the rest .org for all the help and info along the way.

Save a Tranny, Roll-on
15.3@88m.p.h.(I/E)
15.2@94m.p.h.(S/C'd)
15.5@89m.p.h.(Stock GTP)

Saturday, December 31, 2005 2:06 PM
well The cams are already in my car. I am also putting in a temp exhust system. not complete or anything but just to hold me over a little

so I am just adding on a walker hi-flow cat, and a dynomax superturbo muffler. also I am installing a 57mm throttle body

but when I get it all redone. I am going to get a
Obx stainless steel header
magna flow hi-flow cat
14 or 24in resonator(I haven't desided yet)
cat back 2.5in
and another dynomax super turbo muffler.

then I will start building another 2.4 to put in

my ultimate goal is to build everything

Sorry...

Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:14 AM
sinrocker wrote:well The cams are already in my car. I am also putting in a temp exhust system. not complete or anything but just to hold me over a little

so I am just adding on a walker hi-flow cat, and a dynomax superturbo muffler. also I am installing a 57mm throttle body

but when I get it all redone. I am going to get a
Obx stainless steel header
magna flow hi-flow cat
14 or 24in resonator(I haven't desided yet)
cat back 2.5in
and another dynomax super turbo muffler.

then I will start building another 2.4 to put in

my ultimate goal is to build everything

I'm glad they are working out for ya

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:13 AM
You can run as much cam as you want in your surpercharged application. You have to decide where you want your powerband to be, and cam accordingly.
These cams with the same duration on the intake side will not alter your powerband. Whatever gain you see with them, will be amplified by the forced induction, whether its turbo, or your S/C, this is why using hi perf. cams in a forced induction application is so important. Its too bad most people don't realize it.
BTW, pulling cams out of the wreckers is fine. These cams have no wear problem, and can be easily checked for wear in seconds. The lifters DO NOT have to be changed unless you see obvious damage,. or wear to them(rare). They, too do not have a wear problem. Thats old school bs. These are not small block chevies.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search