Bearing and Oil questions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bearing and Oil questions
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:52 PM
quick question for you guys, I have had a turbo LD9 before, and I am looking to do it again. I basically have two questions for this forum:

1) with bottom end bearings, are 'clevite 77' the way to go, where is a good place to purchase them

2)I found a site that claims for 150 bucks they make the 2.3 oil pump swap useless, is this true, and if so is it a good route to take? Clicky
info on the main page about 1/2 and 3/4 way down

thanks, guys, any other tips and thoughts are welcome

on a side note I plan on using (2000 z24)
-wiesco 9:1 cr pistons +.020
-I've been looking at JE rods
-gm s/c goodies
-possibly a FPR (2:1 or something) pending dyno run
-garrett T3 turbo stage 3 wheel around .60 / .48
-johhnyracecar intercooler

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Re: Bearing and Oil questions
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 5:02 PM
I'm still at a complete loss why people remove their balance shafts.

As far as the 2.3 pump swap IIRC it has a vastly superior pump. The site is making neutral balance shafts, not improving the flow or reliability of the pump in any way.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:15 PM
That does not accomplish the same improvments a pump does.

Pump swap advantages:

Bigger, slower spinning oil pump
Better high rpm oil volume
Loss of 15 pounds in gross engine weight
Significant reduction of internal, revolving component inertia
Increased oil capacity

All 5 of those items are not improved by simply installing neutral balance shafts.
I also seriously doubt the shaft they sell are actually "neutral" balanced. More likely thay are simply stock items with most of the counterweight ground off. I seriously doubt they have ever invested in checking to see what the resulting shaft balance is at all.

sig not found
Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:08 PM
I have searched for the 2.3 swap, but what exactly is included? does anyone have any pictures or instructions? or a link to a forum that I didn't find... thanks, anything will help.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search