Turbo on a 2001 cavalier 2.4L - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo on a 2001 cavalier 2.4L
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:44 AM
I'm thinking about putting a turbo on my 2001 2.4L with 160 000 km. Should I buy a brand new complete turbo kit or should I consider looking on the used market. Will I save money???

I know that the turbo is the most important part of the kit so if I find one brand new turbo and buy all the other used parts(manifold, downpipe, intercooler, blow-off), this seam ok?

What I should know about the wastegate? Is an external better than an internal wastegate.

I want run this turbo on a stock 2.4L engine at approx 6-7 psi.

One thing I need to know about the downpipes, does it depends on the turbo or on the car???? Will any downpipe fits any turbo?? Where I can get one for the 2001 cavalier 2.4L engine?

Thanks!

Re: Turbo on a 2001 cavalier 2.4L
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:43 AM
FAQ

Portage, MI
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:43 AM
FAQ 2

Portage, MI
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:25 PM
do some turbo research before tackling it. research all the parts and their functions then build ur own setup to ur liking. saves money that way. im working on the same thing.

check your local library for the book Maximum Boost!!! and read it cover to cover.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:13 PM
To nail down the majority of your questions:

You're best bet is to have someone fab up the downpipe for you, its the easiest, pain-free way. I would recommend buying the turbo new. If you're buying it used, I would want to see it first hand to check for shaft play and other things. A lot of these used turbos are in need of rebuilds. Thats another option if you want to go that route. It would be a little cheaper, but chances are you would have to wait a while. Used intercoolers are fine. Just make sure they have brackets, or a place ot mount brackets. Worst comes to worst, you just weld your own on. Used bov's are fine. Manifold, used is fine, just make sure it's not cracked and has your same flange. At that amount of boost, an internal will be fine. Good luck with your setup

z24 aint afraid of no ecotec
Thursday, November 17, 2005 12:52 PM
Go to Borders and buy Maximum Boost. Let it become your bible.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search