in boost preparation - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
in boost preparation
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 4:51 PM
been reading over the boost forum for a while now, trying to get familiar with everything, over this winter im gonna be prepping my car while its stored by buying parts and then installing them all when the car goes back on the road in march
im looking at buying the jtuners stage 2 turbo kit with intercooler

main objective with boost is to run about 5-6 psi, im looking for a good size gain, but im looking to do it safely where it can be driven everyday, thats my reasoning for staying at 5-6psi for now, until the boost bug bites me square in the ass

current engine mods-
air intake(will obviously be taken off with turbo)
rksport upper lower mount/insert
B&M shift kit
full 2 1/2 inch exhaust piping
magnaflow cat
flowmaster 40 series muffler
NGK iridium plugs

with these mods, im looking to add to this by getting the
crank and alt pulley from aem
trans mounts
porting TB to a 62mm
port matching the intake
yellow top battery
secret exahaust and intake cams
didnt buy a header cuz of plans of a turbo

questions for my prep, im tearing the engine down

1) will the 2 1/2 inch pipe be big enuff for 5 psi of boost?
2) larger injectors and high pressure fuel pump? is it needed with lower boost..avoid leaning out
3) while the engine is down im replacing the water pump and chain tensioner/ seals...is there anything else i should replace while im in there, if money allows im full force on making this a new engine
4) with the planned boost level, is it necessary that i replace the pistons, stronger valves?

last anything that i should think about adding to this list, gonna do it once and do it rite, ive searched and found bits and pieces of wut im looking for, with this i jus wanna get all the info and use this as a referance over the winter, thanks!

Re: in boost preparation
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:38 PM
By 2.5" pipe do you mean intercooler piping or exhaust piping? Because depending on compressor outlet and intercooler end tanks, you could run 2.5 or 2.5 easy. I'd run 2" from turbo to intercooler because most compressor outlets on a standard T3 is 2", and then 2.25 or 2.5 after the intercooler, to the TB. You should be fine on stock injectors for now, but if you find yourself leaning out then go with some 30# injectors out of a Cobra mustang. With 5 psi you are fine on stock bottom end. What kind of mileage do you have on the motor currently and does it run funny, burn / leak oil abnormally, or any other symptons of serious wear?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:12 AM
best advice i can give is make sure you plan out what you want to do with your fuel system first, if your going to want to run more boost in the future, your going to need a little room to grow. your bottom end should be ok til maybe 10-12 psi, given that you tune your car right, take care of it properly and have the right timing and fuel mods, but theres no magic number, some go at 8 and some go at 18. If your planning on cranking it up a lot in the future, it sure as hell wouldnt hurt to build the bottom end while its down, then you have a lot less to worry about thats for sure. At 5-6 you should be fine, but your right, the boost bug's gonna get ya.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:34 AM
If you want, your stock pump is fine, get some 320CC injectors from jtuners, and perhaps there splitsec box for fuel management. (if you plan to go over 5psi) if only at 5psi the stock plugs will do the deal, but during 3rd gear if you have a 5spd it'll begin to run lean. So by using the 320cc injectos, it'll give you all the fuel you need. As far as your engine plans, they are similiar to what I am doing with my jtuner kit, check my reg. If you have more q's e-mail me. ^^

Tim
KnightOfLegends@aol.com
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 1:10 PM
"thats my reasoning for staying at 5-6psi for now, until the boost bug bites me square in the ass"

That will be about a WEEK

You will want to get rid of those irruiduim plugs in favor of the ac delco rapid fire. There shouldnt be any modification needed to the internals until you get to about 12 or so.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 1:29 PM
thanks guys great info here,

ive heard the plug gap should be decreased down to .35 gap..as well as i have chance to get some 32 pound injectors put into my cav, neone know wut cc's these would be, or newhere equal to those 320cc injectors

main concern is of course fuel, so thats wut i wanna learn bout the most, ive rear on it, but jus to confirm, at this boost level, all i would really NEED is the bigger injectors and a rising rate fmu would be bonus but unneccsary?

thanks again ill keep reading on this
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 1:31 PM
and sorry i wuz tlking bout my exhaust being 2.5" rite now rear to downpipe, since im looking at the jtuners kit, i will assume piping is something that will already be done and ready to bolt up
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search