blew head gasket after 3 weeks of turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
blew head gasket after 3 weeks of turbo
Monday, October 24, 2005 3:27 PM
has anyone have this problem .i'm looking into a copper headgasket but i have been told that its a waste of money. i have a 2200 with a t3 and intercooled setup i also need to know if a oem headgasket can handle boost 6psi

Re: blew head gasket after 3 weeks of turbo
Monday, October 24, 2005 3:32 PM
I'm not familiar with boosting and head gaskets... but with a N/A engine, a copper head gasket works just fine. As a matter of fact, the new Fel-Pro ones I don't like at all, and will use a copper one any day over a new Fel-Pro. It's all a matter of how you seal the gasket. I use this copper spray on my head gaskets, never had a problem. Of course this was on a chevy 350, 383, and a 400. All mildly built (about 10:1 compression, except for the 350 which was about 9.5:1).

Monday, October 24, 2005 3:45 PM
Copper head gaskets work great for holding extreme cylinder pressure but they are not recommended for street cars, you also need to have either the head or block o-ringed to use a copper gasket. They require retorquing every so often to prevent leaks due to the soft copper getting squeezed by the head and block every time the motor heated up and let cool back down.

Since you mentioned 6 psi i'll assume its a street car, in that case i'd recommend a OEM gasket with ARP head studs.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, October 24, 2005 4:07 PM
We've finally got the N/A and boosted versions of the Cometic MLS head gaskets available for the '98-'02 2200's.

Formerly Cavalier Connection

Monday, October 24, 2005 4:56 PM
*waiting for the pre98 hg's from Cometic* damn I hope my names on that list, lol.

Monday, October 24, 2005 6:52 PM
<-- ordered one of there new head gaskets from jtuners.com ... being I blew my gasket after three days of boost -.-

Happy someone came out with these, or else I would be in a world of hurt right now..

P.s.
Thank you again Leo for the quick processing on that head gasket to me.

Timothy Kramer

Proudly Sponsored By:
High Rev MotorSports, INC.
www.HighRevMotorSports.Com
Monday, October 24, 2005 7:50 PM
hey Jtuners.com ive been trying to contact you about a turbo kit for the ecotec i wanted to know about a stage 3 for the eco could u please send me a email back about it
Monday, October 24, 2005 8:53 PM
my 2200 blew 3 head gaskets, NA. . .god im so glad that car is gone

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:45 PM
thanks i will be getting a hold of jtuners
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:39 PM
I can't wait for the Cometic MLS gaskets either

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:29 AM
If you guys can't get a hold of jtuners.com e-mail me your specs and what you need, I normaly get very lucky anc catch them while they are at the shop, maybe I can relay some info for you.

Tim

KnightOfLegends@aol.com

1996 Chevy Z-24 Turbo 5spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search