People With 3 Inch Exhaust Systems over Axle - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
People With 3 Inch Exhaust Systems over Axle
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:25 PM
How did you do it? My exhaust shop that i always go to, little backwoods place.. great guys and cheap said there is no way to keep the exhaust pipe 3 inches in diameter to go over the axle.. they said it would end up getting crimped and being like 2.25-2.5 all around. they suggested to just get a 2.5 inch mandrel bent catback which would be better.

can you post pics of the under the car? thanks!

and does anyone know where I could get a 2.5 mandrel system or a 3 inch system?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Re: People With 3 Inch Exhaust Systems over Axle
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:30 PM
My turbo car has 3inch mandrel bent exhaust. It can be done. I can't get pictures right now because the car is somehwere else.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:32 PM
why do u need it over the axle

Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:38 PM
they need to do the exhaust with the cars tires in the normal position if they do it with the axle hanging it will end up hitting the exhaust.. mine its every once in a while but other then that its great. 3 inch is the way to go.....

. member 1244or55
.http://www22.ocn.ne.jp/~cavalier
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:39 PM
mine is 3in and it easily goes over the axle. even after hitting speedbumps its still at just under 3in. your exhaust shop doesnt know what theyre talking about. sorry.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:43 PM
yes they do hypsy.. take pics for me...

they do amazing custom work, i have seen many cars they have done..

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:45 PM
I want it all 3 inches if I pay for it. They explained that making a pipe to be 3 inches up and over that axle and keeping it a full 3 inches would be near impossible.. without the axle hitting it

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:38 PM
im lowered about 1.75in in the rear and we still got mine in there. heck...we even had to make ours from 180 degree U bends we had laying around because we dont have a pipe bender at the shop i work at.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:49 PM
Mine is 3 inches over the axle also. It can most definately be done. My car is also lowered.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:49 PM
I had mine done full 3" as well. It makes a little noise when going over large bumps or potholes. Its the full 3" the whole way back, over the axle and all. I dont have a good pic right now of it. I'll have to search for one.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:57 PM
Phil hit me up in email or call nikki or Matt to get my phone# My guy that made turbo can Fabricate u one exactly like mine with whatever muffler and cat u want for 1/2 decent price (Wagner Motorsports) Andy is in York,PA. also.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:00 PM
QBE your exhaust shop blows I doubt they know what there talking about.

but who ever did this work did an amazing job you only wish your engine could look like this

Thats yours right? not trying to be an @!#$ hehe. but yeah Im am trying to figure this out also so some pics would help I wanna see hypsys car some more anyway.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:20 PM
its do able you just have to hug the gas tank and frame rail

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:22 PM
thanks fetter

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:24 PM
thats a huge shop! BTW sexy exhaust.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:58 PM
yeah every shop does their own thing. I brought mine in just today and the guy working on it was convinced that he couldn't do anything bigger than 2 inch. I told him to go as big as possible cuz I'm in a hurry to get it done. He stuck on 2.25 inch. I gotta get a different system anyway cuz no one in town even has a fricken mandrel bender! They only do crush bends. He charged me 200! just for a piipe from the DP to my magnaflow muffler. I got screwed, but I'm tired of dealing with it so I just wanted it over with.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:18 PM
Jcavi, isnt that aarons engine from turbo tec?

Quote:

I want it all 3 inches if I pay for it

aww come one phil, dont cut yourself that short buddy.

but i have 2.5 piping all the way back. no cat. i have a cut out right after the downpipe.

13 psi and climbing......

Friday, October 21, 2005 12:23 AM
Here is the Johnny Mack exhaust....... 3"

Attachments
JMTS Catback2.jpg (79k)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, October 21, 2005 7:03 AM
Jcavi wrote:QBE your exhaust shop blows I doubt they know what there talking about.

but who ever did this work did an amazing job you only wish your engine could look like this

Damn, who's engine is that?

Thats yours right? not trying to be an @!#$ hehe. but yeah Im am trying to figure this out also so some pics would help I wanna see hypsys car some more anyway.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:04 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:
Jcavi wrote:QBE your exhaust shop blows I doubt they know what there talking about.

Damn, who's engine is that?

Sorry, messed up that quote

Who's engine is that?

306 TQ
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:23 AM
I'm guessing your exhaust shop is just being conservative...they've probably learned that it's just not worth it for them to create systems that are troublesome in ANY way as far as clearance on surrounding components is concerned. Heat is one factor, noise over bumps another, rubbing through items it contacts, etc. I applaud them for holding the line on quality!

But as you've seen here, if you are willing to put up with the occasional 'thump over a bump'. etc, it can be done.

I'd also like to add...we have found that, on the average, 3" exhausts aren't really required unless you are running over 350 HP. A well-made 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 can actually be more efficient at lower power levels due to improved velocity and scavenging effect...we've actually seen cars in lower power ranges LOSE low end power from the installation of a 3 inch, with little if any improvement at top end. Just food for thought...

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Friday, October 21, 2005 7:36 AM
Bill, what is the diameter of the downpipe for your Eco Turbo systems? I too need to know so I can plan what kind of exhaust to get working on. I planned to do something very similar to what is being discussed.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"
Friday, October 21, 2005 8:01 AM
Thanks bill....

damnit.. i wonder if j Mack would make me a kit.. just the piping

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:11 AM
Our downpipes are 2 1/4". This is what we are currently running on the Sunfire @ 475 engine HP, but as an open downpipe.

Of course, at this power level, we'd likely benefit somewhat from a larger one, especially if we had a full exhaust on it at the track. As we've done with our Neon and Eclipse sytems, once enough of our customers move into higher HP regions, we will offer bigger downpipes as an upgrade for existing systems, or optional on new system purchases. But for now, we've proven that the standard iteration can go mid 11's @ 125 MPH, which should certainly satisfy the bulk of our customers.

Just for relative purposes...we've seen the 2 1/4" downpipes stay decently efficient up to 400 HP, and, as you can see, continue to work reasonably well on up to 475HP.

Now, something to keep in mind...normally aspirated guys would say NO WAY, and they'd be right...for them, such a small pipe would certainly be restrictive. But you have to keep in mind...the exhaust coming out of the turbo is pressurized. At 15 PSI boost, there's approximately 15 PSI exhaust pressure too. As such, the pressure drop into the downpipe is HUGE compared to a normally aspirated engine, so smaller piping stays efficient on up to much higher power levels.

When we ran the Sunfire with a complete exhaust and cat, our exhaust got progressively bigger from the turbo (outlet size: 2" ID) to the cat (inlet size: 2 7/8" ID). This is actually the best way to go for a street car. You retain the excellent velocity coming out of the turbo for the best spooling and RPM response, then as the gases cool and decelerate, you give them bigger piping to keep moving on the way out of the system. Best of both worlds, not unlike the 'stepped headers' you see on the market. Very much like what I am talking about on the 'turbo sizing' thread going right now, or even the charge-air piping thread, insofar as HP 'peaks' vs. usable power at a multitude of RPM levels.

Tapered, stepped progressive transitions are superior to simply 'dumping' right out of the turbo into a 3" pipe in a street car. They retain useful velocity, and prevent the turbulence caused by jumping instantly from a small ID to a large one.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:17 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:I'd also like to add...we have found that, on the average, 3" exhausts aren't really required unless you are running over 350 HP. A well-made 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 can actually be more efficient at lower power levels due to improved velocity and scavenging effect...we've actually seen cars in lower power ranges LOSE low end power from the installation of a 3 inch, with little if any improvement at top end. Just food for thought...

Ive heard that to, thats exactly why im going 2 1/2 inch because I dont wanna over do it. Im pretty sure I wont be over 300 HP so Ill play it safe.

306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search