WTF am i doing wrong with the fuel. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WTF am i doing wrong with the fuel.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 10:42 PM
Sorry if i sounds short and angry but Ive had it up to my head with my car. Its about at the point where i want to burn it and collect the insurance money. I have a non-intercooled turbo set up on my 99 sunfire.I also have an 8:1 fmu. Stock injectors were leaning it out so i bought brand new ford #30 red tops. Bought my safc-2 and started the fuel project. The car ran great for about 3 days after i had the safc and the new injectors in. Then one day coming back from school the car started to idle like a a muscle car and then it cut out. From then its been a constant changing of numbers just to get it running again. Finally, my friend has a data logger that he used to tune his boosted avenger so we tried it on my car. All the numbers were way outta wack so we straightened the fuel trims out. Took it for a test ride and the car ran amazing. Coming home from his house the car started stalling and finally shut off. I disconnected the battery, changed the plugs, and fired her back up. Drove for a little more and the same crap happened again. I then started the car back up and reset the idle using the brake technique. Drove a little farther and it started doing it again. I finally made it home using my two feet. (one on the brake and one on the gas) I cannot figure out what is going on with my car. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: WTF am i doing wrong with the fuel.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:44 PM
wide band , intercooler

real dyno tuning

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:01 AM
Read your codes. Your tps could have taken a crap on you or a couple other things. We really need more info though. What engine? How long has it been boosted? What other mods?

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:40 AM
The engine is the 2200. I has been boosted for about a mouth. Mods for the turbo include ford injectors, 8:1 fmu, Safc-2, data logger for tuning.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:00 AM
hmmm
I'm running a 2200 with Injectors, and an adjustable FMU...

maybe thats where your going wrong....
you need adjustable...

Do you have a AFPR..... so your idle isn't rich and stalling out...
When it Stalls does it puff BLACK smoke ??

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:11 AM
yes it does puff black smoke. Where can i get an Afpr and what do they usually cost.... Another thing, On the Car Select menu in the safc. Because of the way our car fires, you have to have it set at 2cyc right?
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:26 AM
black smoke = your running way to rich

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:14 AM
well i put the stock injectors back in and set all the fuel numbers to to 0 on the safc. I wish i had a beater car so i can let this one sit until i get it right.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:27 PM
like 97cavie said your way too rich... it bogs and stutters and what not your too rich..... get AFPR and you'll be good to go .... Thats all you need
oh and I'm not sure about the SAFC setting as I don't have SAFC..... sorry

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:14 PM
i set my SAFC to 4 cyl, and when i switched to bigger injectors i pretty much have to cut back on fuel most the time, so its set to like -25 at idle, but i have slightly bigger injectors then you so you might get away with it around 0 ish. I think the 2cyl thing was for the Eco's, but im not sure, my car runs ok, a little rich, but still hauls ass.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:25 PM
I put the stock injectors back in and completely disconnected the safc and its still doing the same thing. Not as bad but when im coming to a stop or something it will start bogging down and if don't catch it in time...it will stall. Before i ran it again i did disconnect the battery for about an hour. Why would it still be doing this when everything is back to normal?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:55 PM
i had the same thing ... howz the o2 sensor
When I moved it from the header I was using to the downpipe from my turbo... the o2 sensor was closer and thus warmer exhaust gas was hitting it.... it had been down at the bottom far away for so long on my pacesetter header set up......

we have learning ecus....

so when I moved it my car ran rich and black smoke and idled like a muscle car and would stall out if I didn't turn it off myself... I would just simply turn the car off before it got the chance to stall and start it back up... ( sometimes this would happen to me at a light) then it would be fine idle great and I could drive off.... this happened for like 2 weeks to a month...
I just kept reseting the ecu ....

plugged cat ???

just tryin to rule things out .....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:06 PM
I have my o2 sensor welded to the manifold. I know the ecu is a learning comp so i figured it would correct itself after awhile. I was just trying to get some other opinions.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:09 PM
Just a thought, being my turbo is pending the intercooler piping, I have it on a 96 Z-24 2.4L 5spd... did you adjust your spark plug gap? this is something jtuners.com told me, my car would run a little rough and kinda idle odly after I put the kit on, I used over size injectors, I think they are 320cc or 350cc, can't recall off the top of my head, but I do know that I had the GM Sparkplugs, and I had to get them regaped.

Timothy Kramer

Proudly Sponsored By:
High Rev MotorSports, INC.
www.HighRevMotorSports.Com
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:31 PM
I never really thought too much of the spark plug gap. Being that the fuel setup is back to almost stock except for the fmu. I am running the NGK iridium VIII
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:32 PM
Did you ever check your CELs?

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:37 PM
The only cel i ever got so far when it wasnt running right with the larger ford injectors. It stalled out and threw a cel. I plugged in my friends data logger and the code was for the car running too rich. I cleared it out and havent seen another yet.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:44 PM
I'd rule out everything else and work on getting some fuel out of there then. You shouldn't need an AFPR if you have the S-afc2 unless you injectors are WAY too big or the FMU puts way too much extra fuel in. Try to get it tuned properly. That means get it on a wideband. Just keep pulling fuel with the browns until it isn't blowing as much black smoke. Keep checking your plugs for signs of leaning out. Clean them regularly so you have something to go by.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:55 PM
If i get an AFPR, does that work in conjunction with the fmu or can i take the fmu off?
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:25 PM
You can take the FMU off with an AFPR but putting the large injectors on with higher fuel pressure and trimming out a lot of fuel before boost.

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:28 AM
okay the o2 sensor is way too close and is probably @!#$ beyond repair......

that turbo manifold glows when under boost man .........it's hot @!#$......
really hot @!#$......

move it about 4" away from the turbo on the downpipe.......

that fixed all my problems.... (I also have a 2001 2200...) Been turbo for 5 months now and just had some oil issues and tuning issues.... other then that ... happy boosting I'd say....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch

Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:40 AM
If my fmu was messed up, would that cause the car to act the way its been acting?
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:38 AM
The car wont even run anymore. I went otside to sart it to to get it warmed. And it wont even stay running. I started it up, went inside to finish getting ready, and i heard it die. Went back outside and started it up again, kept my foot on the gas up hear 2500 rpm for about a min, let go of the gas and it bogged down and stalled. Why is it doing this when the fuel setup is all back to stock? Someone please help. If i cant get it to work soon, being that its my only car, everything is comming off and gettin sold cause if sick of it.
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:55 AM
have you tried replacing your idle air controller or adjusting the idle screw?

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:08 PM
I havent replaced anything yet. I am changing the o2 sensor tomorrow. I just dont see how it can be screwed up when i didnt monkey around with anything.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search