Installed a Type H but never opens. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installed a Type H but never opens.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:33 PM

I just installed a TurboXS Type H 25 BOV in may car about 8 inches from the TB.

I'm running 4 to 5 psi on daily driver, but the BOV never opens, is anything wrong or the low pressure is not enough to open the BOV.

So, if i never will be above 4 to 5 psi, is any reason to have a BOV installed.?

Can this low psi cause surge to damage the turbo.?

Yes, I can run up to 12 psi but it is OK to run with 5 psi everyday.

Well, Main question. Should the BOV open if running 5 psi or will help only with high pressure 10 psi or more.?

Thnks

Re: Installed a Type H but never opens.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:07 PM
ive had mine open when i ran 5-6 psi before. do you have the vacuum line hooked up the the intake manifold?
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:08 PM
i bought the same BOV i hope i dont get the same results
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:03 AM
The pressure in the charge pipes does not open the blow-off valve What opens the valve is the vacuum pressure line hooked to manifold pressure. When you let off the gas, manifold pressure drops very far down and it pulls the diaphragm of the BOV which opens the valve and releases teh pressure.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:53 AM
M I N I O N wrote:The pressure in the charge pipes does not open the blow-off valve What opens the valve is the vacuum pressure line hooked to manifold pressure. When you let off the gas, manifold pressure drops very far down and it pulls the diaphragm of the BOV which opens the valve and releases teh pressure.

Nope, I think the vacuum and the presure open the valve.

Yes I have conected my vacuum line to the TB and just to be sure I connected a vacuum gauge just an inch from the BOV and yes there is vacuum there.

I can see 5 to 6 psi at 5500 RPM then release the TB and see about 15-16 inHg of vacuum, but the valve never opens..

I think boost prevent the BOV from opening and leaking then when it sees vacuum it will help the BOV to open and release presure from the charge pipes.

I can hear my wastegate open without any problem.

Anyway, running 5 or less psi can cause surge to be danger to my turbo.???
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:47 PM
If you can hear your wastegate... (if its internal) YOU GOT PROBLEMS...
you shouldn't be able to hear your wastegate (if it's internal)... are you sure thats not your BOV opening .... if it isn't your getting compressor surges LIKE MAD ....

check that BOV... it could be @!#$

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:57 PM
I would run a single vacuum line to your BOV from the INtake manifold..no tee's or anything . Also the BOV does not work from boost...Minion is correct. A BOV is closed under 0 atmosperic. once it see's a certain amount of vacuum..usually around -15 to -20 ish vacuum it will start to creep open...very little (I tested my 1gen BOV with a vacuum pump and thats what i saw on the gauge). If my suggestion above doesnt work then you should test it..take it off the car ...get a vuccuum pump and hook it up and see if you can get it to open manually with the pump...you can buy them at autozone i beleive.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:08 PM
I'm pretty sure you have it hooked up wrong. Which port on the throttle body are you using??? It needs to be connected to a port that sees vacuum. Try "T"ing off of any line that connects to the intake manifold after the throttle body like the fuel pressure regulator line.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:06 PM
wasn't wrong here either SKILZ why must you go around saying that I don't know what I'm talking about........ Everytime you don't contradict me I"M GOING TO SHOVE IT IN YOUR FACE....... since you must contradict me.........

so next time you see me post...... better check it ......

DID YOU EVER THINK TO CHECK YOUR BOV TO SEE IF THE SPRING ISN"T WAY TOO TIGHT...... it is adjustable correct..... like the amount of spring pressure......

and I"M TELLING YOU... IF YOU ARE HEARING YOUR WASTEGATE STOP DRIVING THE CAR..... GET THE BOV TESTED.. AND GO FROM THERE...........

If you are hearing your gate then something is going wrong..... VERY WRONG...... so you BETTER make sure like SKILZ said, to check which port that vac line is hooked up to the TB..........

he doesn't need to run a seperate line....... I have my FMU, AFPR, BOV, BOOST GAUGE all "tee" together.......

so... got some work to do ....

Let us know

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:22 PM
It should open. When I was breaking in the engine in my Shelby Daytona I was only pushing 5-6 PSI and it would open, it wouldn't be as loud as it is now that I am running 10-15 but it opened. Try taking a few of the washers out of it there are some in there. Your vacuum line wouldn't have anything to do with it because all the vacuum line on the top of it does is make sure that the BOV stays shut under boost since you will have pressure in the pipe that the BOV is mounted to and pressure in the vacuum line on top of the BOV with an equal amount of pressure. In other words if it won't open your vacuum lines are fine because you have no vacuum leak and all that vacuum line does is make sure you have an equal amount of pressure on both sides of the BOV.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:23 PM
Cavy2Env wrote:It should open. When I was breaking in the engine in my Shelby Daytona I was only pushing 5-6 PSI and it would open, it wouldn't be as loud as it is now that I am running 10-15 but it opened. Try taking a few of the washers out of it there are some in there. Your vacuum line wouldn't have anything to do with it because all the vacuum line on the top of it does is make sure that the BOV stays shut under boost since you will have pressure in the pipe that the BOV is mounted to and pressure in the vacuum line on top of the BOV with an equal amount of pressure. In other words if it won't open your vacuum lines are fine because you have no vacuum leak and all that vacuum line does is make sure you have an equal amount of pressure on both sides of the BOV.

Hmmm... that is very incorrect. The vacuum lines OPENS it. Nothing else opens teh BOV. The lines does keep it hust by applying possitive pressure to the back of the valve while there is possitive pressure on the front, but the pressure on teh front does NOT open it. There are two types of valves, push and pull. You have a pull-type. The push type is held CLOSED by boost pressure, but it too is opened up by vacuum pressure.
How did you think FPRs and FMUs work? They aren't opened and adjusted by fuel pressure, I can tell you that.

If that valve is not openning, you either have a vacuum leak, connected the vacuum line to the cahrge pipes (or somewhere else?) instead of the manifold vacuum, or the BOV is simply broken.
It will open no matter how many washers you have inside of it. There is A LOT of vacuum pressure when the engine is at higher RPM and you close the throttle (engine is trying to pump in air but is jsut pulling against the throttle plate.)

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:43 PM
did you happen to buy this from EBAY? if so what is the sellers name? i think you may have gotten the same thing i did. reply back ASAP and ill tell you exactly what you gotta do

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:20 PM
No I am not incorrect. On the Type-H BOV the vacuum line on top of the BOV DOES NOT OPEN the valve. How would it do this. What opens the Type-H is the BOOST PRESSURE FROM THE INTAKE PIPE THAT THE BOV SITS ON. That vacuum line keeps the valve shut when in boost. Trust me man, you dont have a vacuum leak.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:21 AM
Lee wrote:wasn't wrong here either SKILZ why must you go around saying that I don't know what I'm talking about........ Everytime you don't contradict me I"M GOING TO SHOVE IT IN YOUR FACE....... since you must contradict me.........

so next time you see me post...... better check it ......

DID YOU EVER THINK TO CHECK YOUR BOV TO SEE IF THE SPRING ISN"T WAY TOO TIGHT...... it is adjustable correct..... like the amount of spring pressure......

and I"M TELLING YOU... IF YOU ARE HEARING YOUR WASTEGATE STOP DRIVING THE CAR..... GET THE BOV TESTED.. AND GO FROM THERE...........

If you are hearing your gate then something is going wrong..... VERY WRONG...... so you BETTER make sure like SKILZ said, to check which port that vac line is hooked up to the TB..........

he doesn't need to run a seperate line....... I have my FMU, AFPR, BOV, BOOST GAUGE all "tee" together.......

so... got some work to do ....

Let us know

Lee

Actually i didn't even notice you posted in this post, lol!

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:00 AM
bottom line is if it does not open on 5 psi something is wrong. i would try a different vac line from the manifold itself or i would test the BOV like has been posted above

Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:28 AM
Cavy2Env wrote:No I am not incorrect. On the Type-H BOV the vacuum line on top of the BOV DOES NOT OPEN the valve. How would it do this. What opens the Type-H is the BOOST PRESSURE FROM THE INTAKE PIPE THAT THE BOV SITS ON. That vacuum line keeps the valve shut when in boost. Trust me man, you dont have a vacuum leak.

what your saying only makes sence if you could change the springs in it. if it were the boost that opened it how would it hold boost pressure? how can you up the boost?

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:11 AM

O.K. Thank you very much to all for your answers. My problem is solved and I found this..

1. I was hearing my wastegate internal opening. That is so bad.
2. The BOV was not opening in anyway.
3. I don't have a vacuum leak.

The fuc*** BOV was stuck bad, I tear apart and dissarmed it, then just put everything together and started to open OK

Conclusion

1. Vacuum opens the valve 15 to 20 inHG open it correctly and now my turbo is not surging anymore, I rise to 10 psi intercooler added and everything is awesome.

Turbo is nice.
Friday, October 21, 2005 10:35 AM
Cavy2Env wrote:No I am not incorrect. On the Type-H BOV the vacuum line on top of the BOV DOES NOT OPEN the valve. How would it do this. What opens the Type-H is the BOOST PRESSURE FROM THE INTAKE PIPE THAT THE BOV SITS ON. That vacuum line keeps the valve shut when in boost. Trust me man, you dont have a vacuum leak.

If applying the same amount of possitive pressure to the back of the valve as is on the front holds it closed..... what do you think applying an EXTREME amount of negative pressure to the back of the plate would do?

My blow off valve opens up while there isn't even possitive pressure in the charge pipes and I let off the gas.......... I have the type-H. Mine is not broken. It is openned by vacuum. If you don't believe me, look it up on the internet for five minutes.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:49 PM
hahah so I was right ... he was hearing his wastegate... and ya it is bad... haha.... well good to hear it was just in need of a rebuild....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:52 AM
why would hearing the wastegate be such a bad thing if it is internal. Boost pressure opens up the actuatory off of manifold pressure. If you let off the throttle (trying to open the BOV) high vacuum is going to hit the actuator and snap that flapper valve closed pretty fast. I haven't listenned for it myself because I've never snapped the throttle while under the hood, plus I doubt I could hit the 20psi it takes for my wastegate to open without load, but I would assume that you would be able to hear that flapper valve closing pretty fast.

Please explain to me why this would be a bad thing.

Cardomain|Myspace

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search