Tapping the oil pan for oil return... (LD9) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tapping the oil pan for oil return... (LD9)
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:09 AM
I'm taking the oil pan off tonight in order to drill the hole for my return line. I've heard of alot of people using JB Weld. Not just on our cars, but all cars... Lancers, Civics, Eclipses... To me, using JB Weld is pretty half-a$$ed... So here are my options:

1) Tap threads into the oil pan. Is the oil pan thick enough to tap threads into? Am I going to be able to get enough "bite" into the pan to just teflon tape the threads and screw in my fitting? I've never seen an oil pan from a 2.4L, so I don't know how thick they are.

2) If it is too thin, Dad's idea is to use 2 rubber washers, one on each side of the oil pan, and just tighten nuts up against each side of them on the fitting, along with using teflon tape.

Which is the better way to go? Will dad's idea even work? Maybe I'm worrying about something I shouldn't, but we'll see tonight.

Once the oil kit is on, and I put in a "T" for my oil pressure gauge's sender, on goes the IDI cover and the car will be FINISHED. (All except for fuel tuning). It's been in the garage for the past 2 weeks waiting on an oil feed/return kit, but we won't go there. The problem was taken care of and the car will roll out of the garage tomorrow night!

Re: Tapping the oil pan for oil return... (LD9)
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:33 AM
the pan isnt thick enough for threads.

what we did is drilled the hole enough to somewhat thread the return in and then put a nut on the inside......then tightened it up. we used jb wels just for the added sealing of the pan....it doesnt look bad at all. its just to ensure a good seal.

the rubber washer may or may not work that great. im not sure

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:42 AM
ive done 2 oil pans and drilled and tapped both

but the oil pan i used on my 97 after i drilled and taped it , and knew the angles were right , i had the fitting welded to the pan , just to make sure no oil leaks

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:30 PM
Had 2 pans done. The first one was just drilled and tapped professionally - it seeped.

The 2nd one I had drilled and tapped by the same company and then welded on the inside of the pan. It's 100% perfect.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:31 PM
scary

haha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search