High Fuel Pressure = limp - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
High Fuel Pressure = limp
Monday, October 17, 2005 6:12 PM
Well,brought the car out for its last run last week, hooked the fmu back up(adj. 12:1), put my foot down on the peddle and I was pushing over 100psi of fuel pressure. After I hit the pressure, the car went into a severe limp mod. The car still runs, but if I get into the boost, and let off, it back fires like Crazy!!!!!. I use to get little bubbles and pops, but not these big back fires. Anybody have this happen to them with an FMU??????? Or did I fry my injector driver?, I don't have a scanner and the cars put away. Any help would be appreciated.

T04B V-trim baby.....Time to Open a Can of Whoop A S S !!!

Re: High Fuel Pressure = limp
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:51 PM
Common, I've heard of a few people with this particular problem......Anybody feel like helping??

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:01 PM
yeah it could be an injector. is the car misfireing or just backfireing. also did you check your spark plugs? also whats the AF look like

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:51 PM
The car was running really rough, like it was missing, and it was back firing..bad. My A/F was all over the place, I mean bouncing all over the band. Hmmm...I wonder if it is the injector(s) stuck open??

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:07 PM
sounds like it.

check the injectors and put in a fresh set of spark plugs and see what happens.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:24 PM
why are you running such high fuel pressure an injector max pressure that it can work properly is 65lbs anything over that and your over powering the inj and it might work damaging it . IF YOU WANT MORE FUEL GET BIGGER INJ AND A WAY TO MANAGE THEM!!!

13's or blowning it. one way or the other!
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:03 PM
Hey man...i'd watch it.....i was running the vortech with my S/C (which i didn't need to) and ran super high fuel pressures and messed something up....i was away for 6 months and tried to drive my car again....well the FMU did something to my fuel system...still not exactly sure..but i was running really ruff (misfiring like crazy even got codes)and had huge backfire from too much fuel and the next thing i know...i take out all 4 plugs and they're coated with oil after being in there less than a week.....it's proposed that too much fuel ate thru my piston rings and all piston rings failed.....so becuz of this misfortune..i'm gettin a forged rebuild....get my car back in a week.....Vortech FMUs suck....the disk probably went bad
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:24 PM
ooh...i forgot to add.....that i could drive fine under normal driving conditions but as soon as i hit boost....the misfiring began...and of course i let off as well and had major backfiring...so i thought maybe i had the gapping wrong on the plugs i just put in...you might have the same problem i have...(might.)...check your plugs and if ALL of them are coated in oil..you have your answer....
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:08 PM
Jamesn29 wrote:
Quote:

why are you running such high fuel pressure an injector max pressure that it can work properly is 65lbs anything over that and your over powering the inj and it might work damaging it . IF YOU WANT MORE FUEL GET BIGGER INJ AND A WAY TO MANAGE THEM!!!

I didn't purposely try to run 100psi. It happened as soon as I hit 5 psi on the the road. I also had a bleeder valve between the FMU and the turbo. The really funny thing is that, the bleeder valve was wide open, what I mean is that the valve was taken right off and the fuel pressure still went throught the roof. I said it once a long time ago, and I 'll say it again...those vortech FMU's are evil!!!!

Blackwidow 660 wrote:
Quote:

ooh...i forgot to add.....that i could drive fine under normal driving conditions but as soon as i hit boost....the misfiring began...and of course i let off as well and had major backfiring...so i thought maybe i had the gapping wrong on the plugs i just put in...you might have the same problem i have...(might.)...check your plugs and if ALL of them are coated in oil..you have your answer....

That is exactly what my car sounded like. I haven't pulled the plugs yet or anything, so I'm not sure what I'll find. But the motor is coming out this winter. Just called Venolia and got a great price on some pistons. I wonder if anybody else is using venolia's???

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:16 PM
ya ADLER IS check his profile you'll be VERY pleased with what you find....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:29 PM
i just installed my 440cc injectors and hooked up my cartech fmu. My car runs exactly how you describe. i thought it was way to rich at idle so i turn the fuel pressure way down and it still dumps too much in. THen I step on the gas and it misfires, bogs, and backfires. COULD I HAVE WIRED ONE INJECTOR WRONG? THe Last one on the rail i dont know for sure but I was confused on the color of the harness and clip of the stock one???? Please help.

01 Z24 Turbo

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:39 PM
fouled plugs.

sig not found
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:01 PM
i just ordered some venolia pistons through cavalier conn they gave me a pretty good deal i think 600 shipped for 30 pistons and stock diameter s/s valves .what price did you get ? 20 or 30 over?

13's or blowning it. one way or the other!
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:48 PM
that happened to me too back when i was running an fmu. i found it to be the injectors clipping.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:59 PM
protomec wrote:fouled plugs.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:14 PM
shouldn't matter how you hooked up your injectors. they are solenoids and will work the same regardless which wire is connected to one another. 100psi at the rail can deffinently jam your injectors unless you are running ridiculously huge ones. get a stethoscope from your local auto store and listen to the injectors while at idle see if you hear them clicking then have someone give it gas and listen to each one. they should all sound relatively the same and you will know right away if one is sticking or jamming under too much pressure or other malfunction. If there is no sound from it you have a problem with that injector. you can get a stethoscope for like 10 dollars and they are GREAT for diagnosis without ever turning a single wrench to find the problem. If you have or know of anyone with a noid light kit or hell even go to checkers they carry em for like 10 bucks again. Anyway thats another great way for checking to see if you are getting electricity to them or shall I say a good way to find out if your PCM is properly providing ground to your injectors. Good luck

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:22 PM
your fuel pressure will go that high if you have some how pinched of the fuel return line. this is call deadheading he fuel pump. i would just take a look, is worth the try.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:57 PM
This is the type of feed back that I and many others need. Thanks to all. If you have anything else to post......give 'r.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:58 PM
I think the likely hood of him getting a "deadhead test" like result at the point in which he states is VERY unlikely unless somehow the line is becoming restricted once in boost. If he had a restriction such as a pinched line it would be high all the time not just in boost.

Not real familiar with your FMU but if you are using a check valve on your vacuum lines if one were to be put in backwards it too would cause your pressure to rise but then rise way high like you describe.

Also Im assuming you have a way of monitoring your pressure from in the car from what it sounds like. Is the gauge rising steadily or is it rising and once pegged, oscillating? If oscillating is your FMU making noises? If you have these symptoms likely your FMU has crapped out on you and or something is way out of adjustment but i think you had said it wasn't adjustable. Just a few things more to check. Wish you luck

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:06 PM
I monitor my fuel pressure from inside. I also have a gauge right on my fuel rail. Whats wierd is that I have a fully adjust casper FPR and when the screw on the FPR is back right out, it still reads 40psi??????. Should it not read more like 20 -25?? Anyway, The rise of the fuel gauge under engine load(which wasn't much) was very fast and right up to 100psi and over. I still haven't had a chance to check things out. And by the way, the FMU doesn't make any noise and my FMU is directly hooked up after the signal to the wastegate in a "T". Signal from the turbo, to the wastegate and then to the FMU. Personally, I think that my FMU is jacked, how, I do not know. I took the FMU all apart (not too much to them) and didn't find anything particularly wrong. Both diaphrams are o.k., the disc is fine, the plunger floats good and doesn't bind and the flow holes didn't have any blockage......dunno what the hell is up with this thing.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 1:16 PM
my car is starting to do the same thing it runs like a beast through mid of third gear.... then towards the top end of 3rd and on through 4th and 5th it fells like it just quits pullin... i am also using a 12:1 and it only does this around 4-5 psi usually at 80mph and upand it starts throwing the blinking cei...and under idle the car misses and u can fell the car shaking front to back pretty hard... but is isnt backfireing when i let off.. i have somenew plugs (ngk tr6)and 370cc injectors and a safc2 that i can put in and disconnect the fmu but i didnt want to do that yet because i dont have a afpr
HELP GUYS

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search