Horsepower vs Gas Mileage - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Horsepower vs Gas Mileage
Monday, October 17, 2005 9:44 PM
Just a quick ponderance. I'm seriously thinking about going turbo, but I also love the gas mileage I'm getting now. I've heard turbos both help and hurt gas mileage from different people. Can someone with experience tell me what kind of mileage they're getting?

Re: Horsepower vs Gas Mileage
Monday, October 17, 2005 10:02 PM
well when your in boost range your going to watch the needle for the gas drop and it all depends on how much your gas mileage drops by how much boost your running. normally as long as your out of boost range your going to see better gas mileage than when in boost
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:06 AM
well, you completely lost me on that. I'm a turbo noob. If you wouldn't mind explaining, I'd really appreciate it, I'm trying to learn all I can.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:33 AM
what he was trying to say is that if you have a boost gauge and normally your needle will sit in the "vac" portion as long as your needle doesn't go into the boost your gas milage will be better that it would be "stock" or also knows as if you don't beat on your car alot and always up in the 6-9psi range you should be ok.

**changes are here**

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 10:01 AM
oh okay, thanks.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:27 PM
I average 26-30 mpg on the highway with both of my turbo cars. My wife averages 30+.

I think she gets better mileage because I'm always checking wastegate operation.
-->Slow
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:09 PM
sorry i didnt make that very clear i was out of it you get the point tho right
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:10 PM
basically what he was trying to say was : Keep your foot out of it and your mileage won't change a helluva lot

Jay

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:23 PM
Gotcha, that makes a lot more sense
Thanks again.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:16 AM
I thought that a turbo charged (stock car) would get better milage than a NA car if your driving habits stay constant (although most people's doesn't). It takes a certain amount of work (power) to go a given distance at a given speed.
A turbo car is more efficient, so if you need to go from a stop and get to 100miles/hr in 1 mile you would use more gas to do that in a NA car than a FI car.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

www.drluc.ca
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search