Adam Hahn goes 11.64 @ 119 MPH - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adam Hahn goes 11.64 @ 119 MPH
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:09 AM
We've been tinkering with the Eco Sunfire, and made some fun progress, resetting our personal best to

11.64 @ 119 MPH!

1/8 mile was 7.48 @ 95, with a 60 ft of 1.66.

Our previous best was 11.87 @ 117. The gain was attributable to several changes we made:

Took off the exhaust system and cat, ran open downpipe
Higher boost with 110 octane fuel instead of 100 unleaded
Installation of HD valve springs, replacing the stockers

The car still runs its stock ECU and injectors, with our PortFueler system added. Stock ignition too. It's also still our standard Stage II turbosystem, save for the fuel mods.

Additional special props...this is a new record for a 16G turbo. The previous record was owned by one of our Neons. But that Neon was lighter and considerably more radical, with a DFI programmable engine management system and Crane ignition.

Currently, the car dynos at 350 WHP / 395 Wheel Torque.

Thanks to everyone who helped in the Ecotec and J communities. Our next goal is the NOPI World Finals in Norwalk, OH , Oct .15 and 16. To cap off the year, we are installing a 20G turbo for this event. If the car continues to work as well as it has all year, we should have some mighty good fun there!

TURBO J's ROCK!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Re: Adam Hahn goes 11.64 @ 119 MPH
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:10 AM
WOW. u will be hearing from me when i get money.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:12 AM
come on, lets see a full-bodied 10 second J

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:17 AM
now is this a stock motor internally?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:18 AM
Damn, huge congrats

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:19 AM
oh eyah congrats!

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:28 AM
No, but it's far from a radical engine either. It's got Eagle Rods, JE pistons, and now Ferrea valve springs / retainers. Adam's registry shows details of the car, but he's not yet updated it to reflect the latest several changes as outlined above.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:33 AM
ok... thanks for the info

how much power do you think you could push through this motor?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:34 AM
what fuel mods do you have / stock internals ?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:45 AM
SWEET job bill & adam

pin the wastegate closed and go for broke , LOL that should put it in the 10's atleast once

micheal , read what bill wrote , the motor has had some work done to it

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:46 AM
fuel mods would be what the stage 2 kit comes with, injectors, booster pump, and fmu as far as I know

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:58 AM
NIce times Bill and Adam.... now I have an odd ball question.....

Why would you be changing the valve springs to something stiffer when your not reving any higher than what stock RPM would be and you are still running sotck cams from what I believe?

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:59 AM
I emailed you a month or two ago asking for a Super20G setup, you never emailed back. I guess you were never serious.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:10 AM
karo - my guess is due to the amount of boost , and how fast the motor is reving while under boost is why the heavier springs

phil - their car has the port fueler on it , so it has 8 injectors total

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:14 AM
Congrats Bill and Adam!

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:17 AM
gmfreak wrote:I emailed you a month or two ago asking for a Super20G setup, you never emailed back. I guess you were never serious.

My apologies! Much as I hate to admit it, we get thousands of inquiries a year, but some inevitably fall through the cracks. Sometimes it's email problems, sometimes we just plain drop the ball. If I can do anything to re-ignite your interest, please let me know.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:17 AM
oh yeah duh. I am sorry

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:23 AM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:NIce times Bill and Adam.... now I have an odd ball question.....

Why would you be changing the valve springs to something stiffer when your not reving any higher than what stock RPM would be and you are still running sotck cams from what I believe?

97Cavie nailed it. We found that at higher boost pressures, the stock springs could not keep the valves closed at high RPM, even with stock cams. It has to do with the area on the back of the valve being affected by boost and turbine pressures. With Ecotec springs only having about 50 pounds of force on the seat, when you do the math of the area on the backside of the valve versus 20+ PSI, you can see there is a sharp reduction in effective spring pressure.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:29 AM
gmfreak wrote:I emailed you a month or two ago asking for a Super20G setup, you never emailed back. I guess you were never serious.

If I were you I'd def give HAHN another chance. They are the only company out there producing Jbody turbo kits and proving their worth through dyno sheets and fantastic track times.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:29 AM
Hey Karo,
You install stiffer valve springs because of higher boost levels tend to have the air pressure push down on the actual valve (when its closed) along with the piston chamber's vacuum.
High mechanical lift on what a huge lift camshaft causes valves to float because the spring cannot keep up solid difference when it cycles at a high rate.

My buddy dyno 476HP on his turbo stock LS1, changed the valve springs only, dynoed 492HP.
He used the Comp Cam behive design stock replacement style, great stiff valve spring, but not to harsh to ruin lifters and then eventually cam lobes.
Lifters are a bitch to change out on a LS1, you have to take off the heads.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:32 AM
how mcuh power do you think you could run through that motor?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:35 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:NIce times Bill and Adam.... now I have an odd ball question.....

97Cavie nailed it. We found that at higher boost pressures, the stock springs could not keep the valves closed at high RPM, even with stock cams. It has to do with the area on the back of the valve being affected by boost and turbine pressures. With Ecotec springs only having about 50 pounds of force on the seat, when you do the math of the area on the backside of the valve versus 20+ PSI, you can see there is a sharp reduction in effective spring pressure.

Bill,
You are running the single spring which is stiffer correct? The Russ / Ray special? Or did you go with the dual valve springs with the new Ti retainers and new valve spring seats as well?

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:26 AM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:how mcuh power do you think you could run through that motor?

At this point, that's still an unknown entity, but one reason we are doing this project is to find out. If previous applications (non-Ecotec) are any indication, the stock crank should be good for at least 500 HP, perhaps much more. GM feels that the stock cylinder liners are good to 550 HP or so. We've run stock valves/cams well over 600 HP in other applications, so no reason for concern there.

The 20G we are about to put on can push out 500HP of airflow at its peak. Whether we get there with the stock ignition is probably the biggest question. We have customers in other applications pulling 540 HP with PortFueler and 25G turbos, so there doesn't seem to be a fuel limitation.

We'll run the car hard with the 20G and see what happens, as the 20G is an option on our standard turbosystem. If all is well, we'll proceed to the hairy stuff like a 25G. Our main concern is to first show the maximum amount with the most likely combos our customers would choose, so I am reserving the really nasty parts until after we've shown those capabilties.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:39 AM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

Bill,
You are running the single spring which is stiffer correct? The Russ / Ray special? Or did you go with the dual valve springs with the new Ti retainers and new valve spring seats as well?

Yessir, the Ferrea setup we used is the dual-spring combo with Ti retainers. Yes, the Ferrea spring seats nest right over the stock combo valve seal/spring seat. Easy install, but we did pull the head to put them in...lol, at first we tried some tools I have to swap the springs with the head on, but that proved tedious and really not time-efficient. Besides, it was nice to get a look in the cylinders after a summer of fun. And the look was good!

I was also impressed with the stock multiple-groove Ecotec valve keepers (locks), which should prove bulletproof as far as valve retention at high spring pressures/RPM/bigger cam profiles. Every time I work on these engines they just get cooler!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:48 AM
I cant wait for my built motor

I think according to gm the stock crank and sleeves are good till almost 700 whp, no? I need to go find thata rticle

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search