GM S/C'er and Alcohol, Boost spikes to 11psi??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM S/C'er and Alcohol, Boost spikes to 11psi???
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:18 PM
Well i got the kit on and put the 2.6" pulley on.. and in first when i launch my boost sits at like 7 or 8psi then right around 5800-5900 RPM it spikes up to 10-11psi... does any one else have this problem?
Or if you don't have this problem do you know why mine is doing this?

- I have it set to come on around 4psi of boost
- Pump slowly increase as boost does and hits max speed at around 9psi of boost
- using pure alcohol

Clutch was slipping... would that have any thing to do with it?

Also i blew out my clutch at the track when it spiked this high.... new one was already on the way so i wasn't worried

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno

Re: GM S/C'er and Alcohol, Boost spikes to 11psi??
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:53 PM
im sure the clutch didnt help out the spikes

but i see 5-7 daily with mine , and whent he temp drops i see 8-10 psi

no injection yet

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:17 AM
Sounds about normal for a twin screw charger. If you have mods like a header you will also loose a small amount of boost naturally. Dont understand why but it always happens.

2002 Z28: Slp coldair Pac, Corsa Catback, 3200 stall

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:06 PM
boost is just a measurment of restriction

less restriction = less boost

but equals higher flow

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:37 PM
that dont make sense.

only thing i can think of is when your clutch starts to really slip/ rev up real fast the boost jumps with it.

u ever try getting on it with out the alky' injection and see if it still spikes that high?

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:21 PM
i see 6psi on the stock pulley on mine

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:04 PM
Is extra psi really a bad thing?
i see a 3psi difference at redline as opposed to earlier in the powerband on any given day.

Save a Tranny, Roll-on
15.3@88m.p.h.(I/E)
15.2@94m.p.h.(S/C'd)
15.5@89m.p.h.(Stock GTP)

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:07 PM
Jake wrote:that dont make sense.

only thing i can think of is when your clutch starts to really slip/ rev up real fast the boost jumps with it.

u ever try getting on it with out the alky' injection and see if it still spikes that high?

Nope... the air gets WAY! to hot and after i get on the gas about 3 times i only see about 5psi of boost and a small spike up to 6.5psi max.... (note i am at a VERY! high altitude)
but now its to the point where my car will stall... wont even idle at all... and if i am driving normal it will all of a sudden hesitate the go on and off... kind of as if i were to push the gas down all the way then let of... and it does this all the time now....

silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:26 PM
im running the 2.6" pulley as well and the cooling mist aky injection and my boost is maxing out at 10.5 psi so i'd say its pretty normal, ive been monitoring my intake air temps and im staying very cool, always under 100 degrees. Also you might want to look at using a mix of water and alcohol because the alcohol in straight form actually will evaporate too quicky to give you the proper benefits for cooling.

607 Motorsports is your one stop performance and car specialties shop, we can do anything your imagination holds. Check us out at www.cardomain.com/id/jimmyc99z24
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:47 PM
Hey Jim, are you running the embree set-up or the pulley boys as I have been trying to contact Paul at Blue Tongue Motor-sports to buy the 2.6 as I'm currently running the 2.7" with the cooling mist as well, using methanol and water mix though with my other mods.What were you running before the 2.6" and is there a big difference in power? Thanks
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:15 PM
Through on some bigger injectors and ride out the extra psi. lol
But seriously I was seeing boost spikes as well ended up being the cat
here is the link here

Save a Tranny, Roll-on
15.3@88m.p.h.(I/E)
15.2@94m.p.h.(S/C'd)
15.5@89m.p.h.(Stock GTP)

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:20 PM
i was thinking about the injectors and my dad put them into his computer and did some caluclations and they should only be good to about 210-215hp at the wheels (310cc) i have heard people saying their fuel ratio is still good even with the 2.6" pulley and alcohol but i think that could be part of the problem...

and i know its not the cat.. just put a Magna flow 2.5" in/outlet on not even 8,000kms ago

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:29 PM
Your vacuum diaphragm (actuator, whatever you want to call it) is probrably out or just getting plugged up with the alky injection.

I know the Mitsu Eclipse's would goe out all the time but they would lose boost (I guess maybe a failsafe deterrent system) on a cheap diaphragm.

I know on EFI roots superchargers that at part throttle and cruising speeds, that actuator releases pressure so the supercharger itself only absorbs 1/3 crank energy when its not needed under full boost.

At full throttle the actuator fully engages with the amount of vacuum it set at.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:05 PM
Its only spraying when i get to 4psi.... other wise its off... and actualy right now i have it turned right off... but its still doing this... i guess after this weeknd when i get my new clutch and every thing in i will see...

Thursday, October 06, 2005 12:59 AM
sc01z24 im running the pulley boys 2.6" pulley, this is the one i started out with and im actually looking to sell my 2.6" and buy a 2.5" seeing that my intake temps are low, my a/f is right, and im not getting any knock. If your interested in the 2.6" let me know jcarl_19@yahoo.com or aim jc92camaro. Thanks man.

The actuater shouldnt play a role in max boost levels, my best guess would be your boost gauge may be off a lil bit, but like i said running the 2.6" and the alcohol i was seeing 10-10.5 psi consistantly, however i did notice while at the track last weekend i was losing a bit of boost top end but that was being caused by a stretched belt, gatorback solved that issue now back to 10 and have even saw 11psi the other night in 45 degree weather I spoke to Jake earlier tonight and he had me check my alky injector and it is indeed an M3 which is a bit larger than the normal ones so im sure that is contributing a bit to my lower intake temps.

607 Motorsports is your one stop performance and car specialties shop, we can do anything your imagination holds. Check us out at www.cardomain.com/id/jimmyc99z24
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:07 AM
Just don't turn those impellars past 15,000 RPM, thats the limit.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search