V-AFC instead of S-AFC? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
V-AFC instead of S-AFC?
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:12 AM
I am considering boost in the future (rule book interpretation in progress). I have the opportunity to get a V-AFC for nearly free, if I take it within the next few days. Although I realize that the V-AFC is designed for VTEC Hondas, does anyone know if I can use it on my Cavalier to perform the same functions that the S-AFC would do?

Re: V-AFC instead of S-AFC?
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:59 PM
I dont believe so

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:24 PM
I think I found one person's opinion on the answer. This is from turbocalculator.com:

APEXi V-AFC/S-AFC Fuel Controllers
The APEXI V-AFC and S-AFC are electronic piggy-back fuel controllers. The V-AFC may be a better choice than the S-AFC even for non-VTEC engines, because of the additional control levels. The V-FAC also allows control over the RPM at which the VTEC system is engaged and the cam profile changed. The S-AFC and V-AFC all the user to define a fuel curve, defined as often as every 500 RPM. The S-AFC allows 8 defined points, and the V-AFC allows 16. Each of these points can be up to 50% different from the stock fuel level. The APEXi S-AFC and V-AFC can also display the several data channels in numerical, analog meter, and graphical displays. These include Intake Manifold Vacuum/Pressure, Airflow Capacity, Karmann Frquency, Engine RPM, Throttle Position, and Airflow Correction %.

Anyone agree or disagree?

P.S. What's happened to my sig?

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 3:49 PM
Yes you can use a V-AFC. There are several people I know that run them on a non vtech car.

I would rather use a V-AFC over a S-AFC. The V-AFC cannot tell if the Vtech signal is hooked up or not. So all you do is enable the vtech and you will get the extra 8 adjustment points.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:26 PM
Sorry but the SAFC is not the choice to use for boost. An SAFC does not allow fuel sensativity for boost. You adjust fuel curves by RPM. Turbo cars run differently with different fuel, different weather, etc etc. You are better off getting a standalone design piggyback, like a Greddy E-manage or if you know what you are doing, Megasquirt.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:01 PM
I realize that the SAFC (or the VAFC) is not the be-all, end-all of fuel management. But my time is at a premium, so unfortunately I haven't had the chance to do enough research on the MS yet to consider it.

I've not heard much good about the e-manage.

And for a case of beer, the VAFC is better than just a FMU, right?

P.S. Standalone piggyback is an oxymoron.
P.S.S. I like the sleeper racing theme to your website.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:03 PM
the only problem with the emanage is the fact that you need so much to support it, I was looking at spending at LEAST 800 dollars... including a laptop

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:10 PM
I know fo a few people with high boost applications to sue the safc without any problems... making mroe then 400 whp... well... we'll see I have the safc and megasquirt here with me

I just dont have a laptop for tuning

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:46 PM
I'm interested to know what you think of the Megasquirt.

It sounds interesting, but I'm afraid that the amount of effort to learn, install, and tune it would take longer than I'm willing to invest. This is my daily driver, after all, but I may acquire a winter beater this year, or just re-license/safety my ice-racer.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:55 PM
well mine isnt in, it honestly scared me, i didnt have the time to build maps, but if I can get a guy with a turbo eco who has it to come to me and help I wont be afraid.. hes close by

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:30 PM
Qbe you need to get in touch with Dj clueless.(I think thats who it is) he posted up his maps and we all now hes dialed in nice.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:36 PM
I talk to him is dj ruiz and rich from nj has a custom turbo setup and running megasquirt who is closer and can help me physically

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:11 PM
oh well @!#$! how long until tune up?

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:14 PM
idk, a decent time since I wanna get all ym ignition stuff done, msd coils, coilpacks, and plug wires and box.. then its the megasquirt time after the fuel pump

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:03 PM
eh you don't need a laptop. just a shop with a dyno. and any shop with a dyno has their own laptop. I'm going to run the emanage ultimate kit which supports datalogging. And from there, when datalogging is enabled, I will just go back to the shop every so often to check things out since they are just a few miles from my house. Adjust settings accordingly, etc.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:57 PM
I run a SAFC with no problems and pushing close to 300hp.. but i will be selling it in the winter or soon to get a reflash on my car...

FOR SALE....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...TRK%3AMESE%3AIT
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search