gauging intrest on M62 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gauging intrest on M62
Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:33 PM
Ok here is the deal guys, I will be doin the needed r&d and making the manifold to adapt an M62 on a 2.4. I am not tryin to get hopes up, it will be done. This is one of my winter progects. I have been doin work on Blackz2401's car and I will be adding this to the list of his mods. I feel right now he will be maxin the M45 for what is worth so time to upgrade. The question is how many guys would be intrested in this swap from an M45 to an M62? You will need a GM charger kit to start with since I am only gonna provide the manifold and T/B adapter, If it is worth my while. I have confidence that I will get this done I just have two other project cars to do first. So whats the verdict?

Stats for comparison: M45- .75 Liter/rev and about 320cfm @ 10lbs
M62- 1 Liter/rev and about 440cfm @ 10lbs

2002 Z28: Slp coldair Pac, Corsa Catback, 3200 stall

Re: gauging intrest on M62
Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:58 PM
interesting.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:45 PM
my s/c would be alot easier to make a M62 fit

http://www.azjbo.org/forum/garage.php?mode=viewgarage&u=8

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:26 PM
Yeah thats the same as Black's the GM charger, I will not be using the factory manifold though for the M45, you would accually be able to use and intercooler on this (providing your clearance). I am determined to do this, and I am willing to sell the manifold to adapt it, but Iam not gonna go through the effort of having the flanges machined and adapters made for others with no intrest. So this might be a one off or production

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:40 PM
there isnt very many around like mine , its 1 of very few that is 2 piece

but the m45and m62 use the same diameter rotors , the m62 are just longer , so doing a shorter snout and making a spacer would be easier

atleast compaired to making a 2 piece design

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:44 PM
Just remember I'm getting it first you @!#$ers

Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:06 PM
mine i plan to modify for a intercooler , and doing a M62 or M90

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:08 AM
This is not gonna be using the M45 at all, not the manifold, nothing. You will need it for the brackets bassically. They way I am gonna make the kit you will be able to use an intercooler from an early GTP. It will be the blower and Manifold seperate. This will honestly give me no personal gain but bassically be Me makeing Blacks hopes possible. I am bassically not even lookin to make much off of making this, I just like making fast GM's

Friday, September 30, 2005 12:18 PM
I'd be interested in a manifold that I could pick up an M62 from the wrecker and bolt it on to my LD9. So long as it fits between the rad and engine, and the pully lines up, I'm a happy guy. I'd been thinking about trying this for a long time, but lack of resource/welding skills have stood in the way. What kind of price were you looking at for the finished product?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Friday, September 30, 2005 12:25 PM
i could use a 2nd set up , if you can use the pics in the link i posted go for it

if i can help with other pics let me know

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:58 PM
well I have a car to work off of so I dont need pics, thank you though. As far as price I am not sure yet. The Flanges will be made by a machine shop I know so price will be based off of what they cost me. The whole Idea behindthe kit is to make it so all of the brackets used to support the M45 will be reused. Also the belt alignment will be the sam as with the M45, so it will be kind of a bolt in deal. What needs to be done it fab'n the manifold and T/B adapter and also figuring out proper pullies for boost. More than likely it will about $200 for the manifold but dont quote me on that yet. I will make the first manifold and test it on BlackZ2401's car and from there offer kits with the following idems: manifold, T/B adapter, and any instructions needed for vaccum lines and what not.

Friday, September 30, 2005 2:26 PM
Sounds real good! I'm assuming you'll be working with the M62 from a 3.8SC GM engine? I've seen ones from Thunderbirds, and they are totally different.

For Sale:
Friday, September 30, 2005 3:00 PM
The charger I am lookin to use is off say a 94 Bonneville. It seems to be setup how I would like it and they are available rebuilt on ebay at the moment. Whole Idea is it has to be done practicel so anyone who has installed their M45 can do this . I already have 4 intrests so I will prob make up 5 setup's at first. With the charger and all You will be lookin well under a grand, as long as you already have an M45

Friday, September 30, 2005 3:17 PM
if you look at the pics of mine , you can see who each of the 4 ports go into the plenium , and you can kinda see the dent they put in 1 tube for starter clearence (near where the bypass valve rod is)

i d rather the 4 ports went into the bottom of the plenium , for those that are using alky injection , it would mean less puddling in the plenium

also the flange needs to have the same o-rings as the production unit plus the vacuum port for the PCV system that you can see isnt done on mine in that pic

also i think the s/c should sit up like it would on the 3800 s/c motors , or maybe a slight tilt for hood clearence

ive attached the pic that shows best what im talking about , and ill link it due to its size

http://www.azjbo.org/forum/garage_img.php?pic_id=135

im willing to help with info on my set up if you need it , like i said my s/c is 1 of the proto type's , so its 2 pieces not 1 like the production units

Friday, September 30, 2005 10:47 PM
I see what you are sayin with yours. I will deff have the flanges machined exactally the way the m45's are so there is no issues with gettin gaskets. When I figure out the layout I an gonna try to get the charger to sit more level, agreed with the Alci puddling.

Friday, September 30, 2005 11:44 PM
a M90 on a eco

see ya!

Saturday, October 01, 2005 1:50 AM
I'd love to get a bigger blower once i get the gm supercharger kit. let us know for sure i will be very interested once i get the gm supercharger for my car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
Saturday, October 01, 2005 7:56 AM
Honestly I was thinkin about do am M90 kit but there is gonna be way to many clearance issues. Its just too big to wedge there for a non track only car.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 1:59 PM
yeah the M90 is taller and wider , due to the rotor size

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:06 PM
http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers/M45.asp There some sizing info for you all.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:29 PM
ok, so what u r sayin is that all I am gonna need is the bracketting from the m45 and nothing else. U r goin to be able to adapt the m62 onto it instead? And you won't need anything off the m45 blower itself? If you are for real, I am in! I haven't even gotten mine in yet and I wanna upgrade! Keep me posted!

97cavieLS - is there anything else different about the prototype supercharger, other than two piece and color? I have that one too, goin in this weekend, along with a new motor and tranny!

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost

Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:36 PM
Oh hes for real... me and him are the one doing all the work to my motor right now.

We've been talking about this for months and its going to at least get some attention over the winter and hopefully by spring / summer have a good idea as to how were gonna do this.

My car will be the guinnea pig so dont worry

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:40 PM
RaGiN Z wrote:

97cavieLS - is there anything else different about the prototype supercharger, other than two piece and color? I have that one too, goin in this weekend, along with a new motor and tranny!

Scott

you got the 1 schrams just sold on ebay right ? that is a production s/c not a proto type

it was just painted black

fats02z28 , if you need any help , just let me know

im in for the long haul

Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:53 AM
Ragin- Yes you will not need any of the M45 or its maifold.

97Cav- I will deff keep you posted and I will try and post up pics as soon as I can get started on the manifold. Since I have Black's charger off now I am gonna take the ness. info for the flanges off the M45. Hopefully I can get the flanges made up soon. As soon as I know the kit works 100% I will make sure you catch dibs and your just credit were due.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:17 AM
I don't have the GM SC kit, nor do I have any intentions of getting one. I should be able to peice together the supporting mods that come with the kit though (injectors, MAP sensor, reflash, etc), what about the support bracket for the top of the charger to the head, will you be making those as well? If not then people like me can't take advantage, and people with the kit already will have a harder time selling to recoup the cost, I think it's definitely worth looking into.

For Sale:
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search