what will i run into with 15 psi of boost? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what will i run into with 15 psi of boost?
Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:27 AM
hey guys,

well the time has come. it is finally time for me to start planning out my turbo project for winter. i really dont wanna get rid of my vortech charger but i want a turbo. i have my engine fully built with forged internals, stainless valves, total seal gapless rings, and all the other goodies. i am going turbo for one reason, more boost. i cannot live another summer with having a motor that will handle boost finally and not being able to supply it. my brother is an engineer for general motors and he works alot with the guys on the cobalt drag car so he's been doing some major research with turbos and after last winters overhaul of my 2.4 liter, he has finally convinced me to go with one. we already have everything figured out as far as what turbo we are gunna run and what not. he spent alot of time with turbo maps and what not to figure out exactly what we want to run for my application. he was the one that figured out all the piston measurements and what not for wiseco when i had them custom made so i let him do all the engineering work haha.. i just help puting it together. anyway, we plan on running about 15 lbs of boost. the main thing i am trying to find out "basically from people that are running this much boost" is what types of problems will i encounter with this power? i am aware of how week the tranny is in my 96 cavy, its been replaced once already thanks to me having fun with my 2 step rev limiter at the track "oh well lesson learned". i was thinking however, since the turbo will not hit full boost until 2500 or 3000 rpm it will not be as hard on the tranny. the only thing i think i might encounter is tearing up axles.. i think that i will be fine running this much boost if im not slamming gears or dumping the clutch to badly... any comments will help guys. and by the way, the vortech unit will be for sale very soon, god i dont wanna get rid of that thing..

Re: what will i run into with 15 psi of boost?
Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:57 PM
axles.... KABOOM... if you launch..... me too ......... and clutch KABOOM... if you launch too many times......

Sweet build.... sounds like your almost ready .... can't wait to see the numbers !!!

Good Luck....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:18 PM
well i have a spec stage 3 clutch so that should do me in.... the axles will be the only killer, good thing i can get them cheap..

the only thing thats gunna give me some problems is the downpipe.. we are using the new style garrett turbo and i was gunna buy the downpipe from j-tuners but its theirs is for the older style bolt pattern. so im gunna have to find something out to do with that.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:07 PM
I have had no problems and I have been running over 15 for a few years now without upgraded axles. But, if you cant afford to break something then do not do it.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:38 PM
If you are interested, I am selling my DriveShaft Shop Level 3 500hp axles and hubs with upgraded shafts and heat-treated hubs. Here is the link from DSS's site...... http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item135625.ctlg

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:47 PM
Adler wrote:If you are interested, I am selling my DriveShaft Shop Level 3 500hp axles and hubs with upgraded shafts and heat-treated hubs. Here is the link from DSS's site...... http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item135625.ctlg

psssssssst. how much?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, September 30, 2005 3:39 AM
Quote:

psssssssst. how much?

Email me or catch me on AIM.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:56 PM
what size turbo are u using and what is ur compression ratio (just wondering). i and goin to be running 18 on a t3/t4 but i lowered the compression to 8:5:1 to handel it better. if u can sure wheel hop, ur axels should hold up fine. wheel hop kills them fater than nething. i am putting a motor stap on my car to hold my engine from jerking back and forth so much. u might try that and new mounts.
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:51 PM
I ran 14psi this summer on my axles... the best upgrade I made other than the NVG Tranny with a Spec Stage 3 was to put in the H.O axles. Frank has run 11 second passes on them again and again so I know they can take a beating, plus the jack-shaft stopped all the torque-steer I was getting off of a launch.

Problems you'll run into? Just keep everything under control.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:30 AM
sean minnis wrote:what size turbo are u using and what is ur compression ratio (just wondering). i and goin to be running 18 on a t3/t4 but i lowered the compression to 8:5:1 to handel it better. if u can sure wheel hop, ur axels should hold up fine. wheel hop kills them fater than nething. i am putting a motor stap on my car to hold my engine from jerking back and forth so much. u might try that and new mounts.

drag slicks kill axles more than wheelhop does.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search