Pros and Cons for Turbo Ecotec? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pros and Cons for Turbo Ecotec?
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:05 PM
i was wondering something tonight.

Could someone explain the pros and cons of these two setups:

Destroked 2.0 Ecotec running 8psi
Pros:
Cons::

Stock 2.2 Ecotec running 8psi
Pros:
Cons:

(psi is just an example to help relate the topic)
if more information (parts) to help make this pro/con more realistic, ill post more, but i just wanted to get some basic info out of the way. Please list any knownledge you have based on these setups.

Re: Pros and Cons for Turbo Ecotec?
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:27 PM
The only thing I can think of is that the 2.0L would probably rev slightly higher than the 2.2L. Don't take my word for it though, thats just me assuming. I'm doing alot of that lately lol.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:01 AM
other than revving higher is there much diffence, lets say in hp?
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:35 AM
The 2.0 Ecotec debuted as a turbo engine in European Saab applications. This same foundation is now used on the Supercharged Cobalt SS and Ion Redline.

The 2.2 Ecotec is, of course, the base normally-aspirated engine in many GM's, including our beloved J-bodies.

In order to build a more effective basis of discussion between the two, share more about your inquiry and interest, such as in which vehicle, at what power levels, with which base engine to start with, etc. Each engine has unique strong points based upon these aspects.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:54 AM
Thanks bill. okay heres's my reply to your post.

I'm thinking of swapping in a ecotec in my 97 sunfire, already have the donor car (2003 sunfire, ecotec, getrag) waiting for me with down payment at a local salvage yard. I plan installing a turbo in the car, while still keeping it a daily driver. trying to make this baby quick, lets say 300hp to 375hp when done, maybe more, but keeping it street able.

what i am trying to get at is what would prove to be the better of the two?

hen I look at the 2.0 being turbo it reminds me of a 4g63 engine in a Eclipse Gt-s/Gsx and has me looking at the big possible gains.

but when i see the 2.2 i see a stock oem engine for bolt ons and nothing else. skewed view on it i guess.

anything else i need to add, let me know.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:14 PM
Interesting!

I see advantages both ways.

With either engine, you'll need a turbosystem and related support equipment, so that's a given either way.

The 2.2L has shown itself to be very amenable to mods into the HP range you anticipate. Your total investment in parts to make it live should be limited to con rods, pistons, and perhaps valve springs. It's already the engine you'll have, and aftermarket support grows all the time for it.

The 2.0 is not to be trifled with, however! As you mention, it's a boost-intended engine from the ground up, so there's many details already covered beyond just better pistons, rods, valvetrain. Were you going to go full-on road-racing, with extreme continuous duty, its engineered-in durability would be a plus over the 2.2L..better valves, piston oil jets, many nuances. However, our street-strip J-bodies rarely see that kind of abuse, so a moderately-built 2.2 works well.

Cons with 2.0 in your case? I come up with a couple...

It's another engine to purchase.
Its compatibility with everything else in your swap is a somewhat unknown factor...the factory LOVES to throw us curves there as far as parts fitment and interchangeability.
It's 10% less displacement, with less low-end torque due to its shorter stroke.
Internal parts other than stock (i.e.:aftermarket) are not easy to find just yet.

Which way would I 'recommend'? Hmm, tough one...I lean towards the 2.2, but that's primarily due to my familiarity with it and the more strightforward nature of the project with this known entity. I tend to try to keep things simple for a lot of reasons, but that's ME...the way you go could be different and still right for YOU! I think you're doing the right thing, which is to solicit info beforehand. You'll be able to make the decision you can live with, and its definitely an interesting topic for discussion.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:02 PM
When thinking of the 2.0 you have to think one question:

Where am i going to get one?

I think that point alone makes the 2.2 a stronger contender as it is far cheaper to acquire currently than a 2.0.

However if you could fine a 2.0 for relatively the same price as a 2.2 you have that option available. When it comes down to it however you have more aftermarket support on the 2.2 and it will readily interface given you strip the 2003 sunfire of all components needed. The 2.0 you would have to find a none J-body strip it down and then figure out how to make it work vs the plug and play of the 2.2.

Personal opinion get the 2.2 will make it much easier plus you would have a wider knowledge base from which to pick from to help on the build. Sometimes K.I.S.S is the best policy.

I don't need no stinking SIG. Wait this is one.
DOH!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:13 PM
The 2.0 ECOTEC revs to 6500 rpm's just like the 2.2 liter. but if you went w/ a standalone you could probably squeeze more revs out of the 2.0.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:49 AM
thanks alot to everyone or replying

tough decision I must say. good points brought up for both engines.

when looking at the 2.0ecotec ... instead of getting an new engine, id would get new pistons, connecting rods, short valves, and a crankshaft but looking at the prices and work involved i may have my hands full.

so right now I'm leaning towards building up the 2.2 ecotec and boosting that baby. fall is here and winter is coming up, good time to get this project in gear.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search