Turbo fitment problems - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo fitment problems
Sunday, September 25, 2005 4:30 PM
Hey,

I bought a turbo manifold off of E-bay.. Awesome manifold.. It's a log..

Today I went to bolt up my Garrett T3 Super 60, and the compressor housing is rubbing right up against the front of the engine bay... It's making it so the turbo cannot even be bolted up.... Really sucks. Now I have to notch the front of the engine bay out to get it to fit, and even then it looks like there could be some interference between the turbo and fan...

Anyone have these problems?? What did you do to solve it? Any pictures?? Advice? Anything....?

Re: Turbo fitment problems
Sunday, September 25, 2005 5:07 PM
notch it and get a thinner fan; or get a new manifold.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 7:56 PM
hmmmmmmmm... that's really wierd. i don't think i've ever heard anything bad about those manifolds.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:43 PM
Find another spot to mount it. The back of the engine bay is a good spot.
Monday, September 26, 2005 5:43 AM
He cannot mount the turbo in the back of the engine bay his manifold faces the front of the car. If you want to see if the switch works with the screw out hook up the entire system and leave the main feed line off, blow into the vacume supply and watch to see it water comes out the line.
Monday, September 26, 2005 6:07 AM
Will the turbo fit into the spot at all? I know when I put mine on (opposite side, I know) I had to remove the mounts and rock the engine forward. There wasn't enough room to push it down past the firewall and A/C lines without doing so. It looked like it was going to rub the wall at first but it didn't end up doing so. Maybe this will work for you, to at least get it bolted up anyways. If it interferes with other moving parts, thats another story though......Good luck!
Monday, September 26, 2005 7:42 AM
Darius Washington wrote:Find another spot to mount it. The back of the engine bay is a good spot.

i seriously hope you are joking

Monday, September 26, 2005 12:01 PM
okay it all depends of what size the compressor housing is on your turbo.. I have the same manifold with solid engine and tranny mounts.. there is MAYBE a 2 credit card thickness from the turbo to the front of the engine bay....

Fits SOOOOOO tight!!!!.....

WHen I beat on it hard the paint on the front of the engine bay is kinda scuffed from the turbo hitting...... like when I say it fits tight I F*$KING mean it....

My stock fan..... has melted a tiny bit from the turbos heat... cuz of how close it is.....

New soft coolant line from the thermostat housing to under the coil packs.....cuz that was in the way too.... new custom oil dip stick tube..... moved the wiring harness on the driverside of the motor under the cooling line by the coil packs...

F*$K it....

JUST CHECK MY PROFILE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See the fitment .... it's tight shizzle....

note how tight every thing is !

Hope that helps !!

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Monday, September 26, 2005 1:19 PM
Didn't think about trying to push the engine back a little bit. It's SOOO close to fitting. All I need is about 6MM more room. Most likely going to have to make a custom bracket for the wastegate (Internal) since it will probably interfere with the fan.. Maybe not, we'll see... I'll keep an update on the progress..
Monday, September 26, 2005 1:21 PM
Darius Washington wrote:Find another spot to mount it. The back of the engine bay is a good spot.

you are now banned from the Boost forum

Monday, September 26, 2005 1:25 PM
Mine is a very tight fit also....Im glad i removed the stock fan and bought a smaller one to put on the front of the radiator. It helped out alot.

Monday, September 26, 2005 1:27 PM
crap. this has got me wondering. wtf am i gonna do with the 67 trim i'm using?

Monday, September 26, 2005 4:44 PM
your going to be kicking your self in the ass for that one !!! sportabee...

haha

Good luck with that

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Monday, September 26, 2005 10:13 PM
Lee wrote:your going to be kicking your self in the ass for that one !!! sportabee...

haha

Good luck with that

Lee

i'll figure something out. fans are overrated lol

Monday, September 26, 2005 11:08 PM
From looking at Lee's pics, if you plan on running anything bigger than a T3 with that manifold, you might have to cut into the top of the radiator support to get the compressor housing to fit.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:27 PM
Adler wrote:From looking at Lee's pics, if you plan on running anything bigger than a T3 with that manifold, you might have to cut into the top of the radiator support to get the compressor housing to fit.

yea i'm planning on sticking with a cheap log manifold, unless i decide to have some fabricating done to make an equal length... hmmmmmmm

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:31 PM
any one have any sugestions about dealing with the same many and a t3 and an external wastegate? like where to put the wastegate flange?

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:28 PM
CAVI.DEMON wrote:any one have any sugestions about dealing with the same many and a t3 and an external wastegate? like where to put the wastegate flange?

um... internal wastegates need no extra flange as they are connected to the turbo itself. External wastegate flanges go on the turbo manifold

Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:05 PM
yes i kno an external is on the many. but what i ment was, does ne one have sugestions on where to put the flange for placement so i can get everything bolted up. just wanted to know where someone else put there wastegate wit the same turbo. if it helps i have an innovative turbo wastegate. the small one

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:31 AM
Just got a random thought-take the manifold and turbo to a machine shop and have them mill of a couple of millimeters from the flanges so they will fit into the car. It should work as long as you don't take off too much. That might make them crack. Also you could machine a little off the flange side that bolts to the head. If you machine all three then you don't have to take as much off of each so they would be less prone to cracking.

Boosted 97 2.2L 5 Speed
Boosted 3.4L soon to come
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:33 AM
Has anyone has this kind of problem with exploited's manifold? Ide much rather get his SS one than the mild steel one on ebay, looks sketchy....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448390

Friday, September 30, 2005 7:58 AM
we have a 2.2l no tec..... t3 will be fine forever !!!!!!
trust me ... my t3 can push 25 psi ..........
I'm never going to upgrade the turbo... maybe the fan the rad and the manifold but never the turbo...
and hey adler..... I'm facing my compressor outlet down like you have yours... less piping..... woot.... thanks for the confidence... just cuz you were able I'm going to try!!!

haha

Good luck with the fit ment... you'll get it... no worries...... notch away !!!
haha

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Friday, September 30, 2005 9:43 AM
Sorry Lee, I didn't know the manifold was in the front. Obviously , I don't know much about 2200's. We will add that to my list of dumb comments I made on the org. Pay attention to Adler. I think he had some fitment problems at one time. I've had my share. I have a eco and not a 2200. Which are not even setup the same at all. Good Luck.
Friday, September 30, 2005 11:04 AM
hstylez wrote:Has anyone has this kind of problem with exploited's manifold? Ide much rather get his SS one than the mild steel one on ebay, looks sketchy....

In all honesty, it's basically the same damn thing. And you will get it in a few days as opposed to... months.

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:07 PM
Darius Washington wrote:Pay attention to Adler. I think he had some fitment problems at one time. I've had my share. I have a eco and not a 2200. Which are not even setup the same at all. Good Luck.

No fitment problems from my kit.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search