Help me understand my cars Timing #'s - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help me understand my cars Timing #'s
Sunday, August 21, 2005 3:59 PM
OK, i have a auto x ray hooked up testing out my water injection kits' temputure differences. I really havent got to testing out that yet.

anyways, my timing when driving normal is -45 degrees, when i get on it a little it goes down. i let off the gas completely it goes to 0.

at full throttle it is around -13 degrees. is that normal? i think i remeber back with out the water injection i was seeing like -30 . but i dont remeber if timing was in the negatives at all.

i had it hooked up to my wife's 02 ls sport and the timing on that was 0 up to 32, i seen nothing negative.

so any advice, or info to help my understand the whole timing advance/pulling stuff would be appreciated.

thanks

Re: Help me understand my cars Timing #'s
Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:17 PM
my areo force gauge , reads timing as BTDC and it shows between 0-32 , allthough ive never seen it as low as 0

highest ive seen my knock retard is 6-7 degrees

i wonder if your comp being a 96 is why its showing it different

Sunday, August 21, 2005 7:08 PM
ya i dunno.

it runs and drives perfect.

other thing i do wonder is if the lack of EGR is causing problems. Like when the computer senses something isnt right it does that. I clear the check engine light when i start up the car.

thing i noticed with that was timing was at -30 at cruising speeds with the CEL on, then it went to -45.

i really am not sure. the car hauls a$$ with the way i have it set up. so i am not going to worry about it. i am just curious on learning more about timing and what not.

isnt when you advance timing that it feels slower? cuz i think with a bad fuel set up(ho injectors, FPR and stock pump), I WAS seeing as high as 40 degree advance. and the car didnt feel near as fast as it does now( better pump,FMU, water injection).

Monday, August 22, 2005 4:15 AM
Sounds like the auto xray interprets the timing values differently. It's a matter of how the numbers are sent to the scantool. You might need to add 50 or 55 degrees to whatever it says. You can figure this out by hooking up a timing light and measuring the timing at idle, then comparing the measured timing to what's shown on auto xray.

-->Slow
Monday, August 22, 2005 3:56 PM
today i programmed it as a 97 and it read advanced timing like normal.

no worries, i was just curious.

thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search