Injectors?? Im sure that this is a newb question. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Injectors?? Im sure that this is a newb question.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:57 AM
I see you guys are talking about 30#, 32# and 36# injectors, and 30LBs, 32Lbs, I also see on other posts, 320cc's and up to 370cc's! Is there any correlation between these measurements? are they different units of the same part of the injector or how different parts of the injector are measured??

Let me know thanks.

Im planning on boosting my car in the near future, so im trying to learn up on this stuff.

Where can i buy injectors for my car? 2005 Pontiac Sunfire Ecotec 2200.

P.S. Im planning on running like 7-8 psi for the first step of making my car super fast

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|

Re: Injectors?? Im sure that this is a newb question.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:31 AM
An engine's fuel and air needs are calculated by mass. The total mass of air entering the engine determines the total mass of fuel needed. Mass is commonly interchanged with weight, so fuel mass is measured in lbs or in the metric unit of grams. Fuel delivery by an injector is rated over a fixed period of time to make the numbers useful, and the injector sizes are generally given in lbs / hr or grams / minute.

However, fuel density changes with temperature. One quart of fuel at -40 degrees F does not contain the same mass of fuel as one quart of fuel at 200 deg F. Regardless of fuel temperature and density, a fuel injector held open for a fixed length of time will deliver a certain volume of fuel. The volume of fuel is easily measured and reported, so injector sizes are often given in metric cc's (cubic centimeters) / minute.

Converting the volume of a fuel to find the mass, or converting the mass to find the volume, requires knowing some information we generally do not have available, such as the fuel density and temperature at the time of testing. I believe there's a standardized test fluid for injectors known as Stoddard fluid, which has a known density and gives the following conversion factor:
1 lb/hr fuel = 10.5 cc/min
1 cc/min = 0.095 lbs/ hr

Other conversions can be found here.

hth
-->Slow
Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:35 AM
All of the numbers measure the same thing. 30# and 30lbs are the same thing. To convert lb hr to cc per min you mutply lb hr by 10.5 a 30lb injector is the same as 315 cc/min injector.

For you car your best bet is either 30# or 42# ford injectors. Depending on how much power you want to make and what your going to use to control the fuel. You can ushually get them on e-bay for a decent price.

injector calculator
Thursday, July 07, 2005 1:13 PM
smart people are awesome! Thanks guys.

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search