turbo hot? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo hot?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:17 PM
this is a stupid question but im pretty new at this turbo thing...i put a turbo on my Z last week with my dads friend nick who owns a turbo garage but thats besides the point. my question is i drove about 3 houses down (its not even an 1/8 mile there and back)and back just cuz my friend wanted to hear it. i hit like 2 psi because im untuned at the moment and just enough so it would boost up. i kno this is going to be stupid but i noticed that something was smoking that was basically sitting on the DP so i slide it aside because i dont need a fire. at that time i happened to accidently touch the turbo on the exhaust side and it was the hottest thing that i have ever touched in my life. is this normal? i could see if i drove it hard for a few blocks or mile but i honestly gave it little to no gas shifted 2 second and just gave it once again alittle gas..reversed and did the same back to my drive way.. like i said i barely got on it and it was the shortest of distance. its frontmounted and intake. is this due to untuned? or is something wrong?

speed kills, drive slow, drive a honda

You are what you Drive!

Re: turbo hot?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:23 PM
Exhaust gasses being over 1000 degree's, things heat up quick.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:36 PM
ok i knew it would get hot but i never thought it gets taht hot in a minute..thanx

speed kills, drive slow, drive a honda

You are what you Drive!
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:05 PM
yea... even having it sit at idle for a few minutes it will heat up... ahaha i wouldnt even go near it after a long drive...

Saturday, July 09, 2005 1:35 PM
how hot will the manifold get, because I wanted to get mine painted, will high temp engine paint work? or do I need to powder coat it???
Saturday, July 09, 2005 3:30 PM
ive only seen 500degree engine paint so i would get it powder coated

Saturday, July 09, 2005 3:54 PM
Whatever you paint it with will burn off. Turbo manifolds (and turbos) get so hot they glow.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, July 09, 2005 8:18 PM
if you just installed it, the smoke is normal. its oil and grease on the turbo and manifold, which burns off once it starts to heat up. (kind of like that bad smell you get at first with a brand new exhaust system.) Mine smoked for the first 10 mins after my first startup, and driving for the first day or so it left a bluish residue on my windshield. but yes, turbos and manifolds get VERY hot. If I had been on an hour-or-more drive, i would wait like 5 hours before even THINKING about working on it.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:54 PM
i can't even touch the pod rod barley because my turbos so close to it.

cavaliers been laid to rest
The saturn is being born
a new cavalier is in the mist
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search