debating on selling hahn kit and going sc Q??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
debating on selling hahn kit and going sc Q???
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:00 PM
am i thinking straight. lol. for some reason im going for a change. im really wanting to go with a sc. preferably gm but whos knows when that will come out. anyways. i was thinking that the sc is less maintenance. am i wrong. i just want something to give me a little bump down the road. i love the power that the turbo has but i think it would be pretty cool to have a charger on my car but thats just me.
whats the most power you can get out of a charger without burning it up? and im keeping in mind of other bolt-ons that can be done unlike the turbo. i drove a new cobalt SS today and it didnt seem fast at all. mostly because it was SO quiet it just picked up so smooth. and 10 psi of turbo boost and 10 psi of sc boost is TOTALLY different because there is no spool up of course. one other question here, whats the best header to run for a blower.

Post Edited (06-29-05 5:16 PM)

Re: debating on selling hahn kit and going sc Q??
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:40 PM
the gm charger will prob be low maintaince but also low power

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 7:20 PM
Whhaaaatt come on man you're like my idol. Keep turbo!
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 7:39 PM
dropping to the gm s/c will likely drop you 50-60hp, that's a big kick in the pants. RSM's s/c is IMO as much if not more maintence then a turbo setup....I'd keep what you got. but if you want to sell your hahn setup, I got a buyer for you RIGHT NOW

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:05 PM
uh I havent done a bit of maintaince on my supercharger, there isnt any required

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:42 PM
GM charger is alot less work... alot more reliable... but there is a limit to your power... 10psi is about it but you need Alcohol or water injection (or a mix) to act as your intercooler... its not all that expensive as with the SMC kit i have you can just put windsheild washer fluid in the tank and your good to go.

Supercharged 2.4L
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:33 PM
Get the GM Charger, its design to run 100,000 miles with no problems.

Turbos are great but the mitsubishi turbos are getting a bit outdated, if you had something from the Garrett GT Series line of hair dryers I would recommend to stick with the turbo.

But hahn doesn't give you that option, so GM Charger should be enough kick in the pants with a pulley swap and a full exhaust.
Friday, July 01, 2005 8:19 PM
bah so uncool...keep the turbo, you'll simply be disappointed if you get something that is less powerful than what you already have. You'll always be thinking "if I still had my turbo"

15.891 @ 88 mph stock, still getting @!#$ty launches...
Sunday, July 17, 2005 5:05 PM
gmfreak wrote:Turbos are great but the mitsubishi turbos are getting a bit outdated, if you had something from the Garrett GT Series line of hair dryers I would recommend to stick with the turbo.

But hahn doesn't give you that option, so GM Charger should be enough kick in the pants with a pulley swap and a full exhaust.

In terms of efficiency and response, the Mitsu turbos we use are still among the best available. Garrett's GT line has similar, but not superior, capabilities in this particular power range.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, July 17, 2005 9:40 PM
In my opinion it's up to you...

Honestly, I hate how everyone is putting down the GM charger and how they are comparing it to the Cobalt. I've heard people say that the SS doesn't feel so fast but the people usually say that haven't been inside a supercharged vehicle and wouldn't know the difference from s/c car to the next.

Also, you can't compare the Cobalt SS to what our cars will react with the supercharger. First of all your talking about 2 different motors (even though it's destroked). The 2.2 has more displacement which means more torque than the 2.0 (if it wasn't supercharged). Your also talking about one motor being run at a 10:1 compression and the other at a 9:1 compression. Also, the cobalt is heavier than a base cavalier/sunfire.

So overall your talking about for us: More torque, bigger displacement, lighter vehicles, faster off the line, which will not compare to the SS. If what I'm hearing is correct, the 2.2 supercharger will run a 10 psi pulley which is the same as the cobalt, so as far as boost they will be equal.

Even if you decide to drop the turbo and go supercharged, you'll still be happy. For god sakes it's better than being all motor lol Boost = Fun

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, July 17, 2005 11:10 PM
just alittle off topic but will the hahn kit work on automatics? i heard they dont.. let me know

here comes the boost!

Sunday, July 17, 2005 11:43 PM
teamjenzo wrote:just alittle off topic but will the hahn kit work on automatics? i heard they dont.. let me know

Nope...doesn't work on autos, I think it's something with the piping interfering with the transmission (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If you want a turbo kit that will work on autos, check out Haas Performance

Sunday, July 17, 2005 11:45 PM
oh snap LOL disregard that last post

I just checked their site out and they went out of business...too bad. They made a nice kit for the autos.

Monday, July 18, 2005 7:29 AM
i would get the gm charger with the 2.5 pulley for around 10 psi and add alky injection... you should sit around 220hp-230hp

Monday, July 18, 2005 8:40 AM
^^^ no he shouldnt. were talking about the ecotec s/c. the 2.5 pulley would fr the m62. it comes stock with a 3.5 pulley but some of the redline/ss guys are already using 3.25 and 3.00 pullies.
Monday, July 18, 2005 8:48 AM
ya know bill....you should make a kit for the autos. i keep getting emailed by people with autos that want your kit. hint HINT. i know why you arent (or why i was told you arent but it might be worth it to make it.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, July 18, 2005 1:49 PM
this post is dead please delete it. thanks for the opinions

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search