*Help* Car breaking up bad - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
*Help* Car breaking up bad
Monday, June 20, 2005 11:48 AM
Well, its not tuned or anything, but i have the extra injector controller on the richest setting and it is breaking up constantly in any gear as soon as i get into boost. I lowered the fuel on the highway in 5th gear and it would still break up, no matter how much fuel I added or took away. Tonight, it was fine in 5th on the highway all the way up to 5 psi or so. It was fine for a few pulls. Then it started breaking up around 2psi. First gear it always breaks up but I don't have a clue why. I turned off the extra injector controller (greddy rebic) and it still broke up so i don't think that is what is making it break up. But i am pretty sure it is runnin rich as hell because i get @!#$ty gas mileage and blow black smoke whenever i give it a little gas. I am also throwing a code for insuffiencet egr flow and no rear cat (but i know the rear cat has nothing to do with fuel). I also have ngk tr-6 plugs gapped at .028. Only fuel mod besides the 2 extra injectors is a walbro 255lph in tank pump. Anyone??

1998 Cavalier Z24

Re: *Help* Car breaking up bad
Monday, June 20, 2005 12:01 PM
1) Buy a wideband
2) What do you mean its "breaking up"?
3) Buy a wideband
Monday, June 20, 2005 12:21 PM
Why the hell are your plugs gapped so small? Open the gap.

What do you mean "breaking up"? As in the car is misfiring?

Too much fuel + too little gap quickly makes a car misfire like hell....

Check your plugs. Are you really running as rich as you think?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, June 20, 2005 6:09 PM
I'll open them back up to about .032 tomorrow. What is a wideband going to do besides tell me that i'm pig ass rich, which I already know. I'm going to the dyno next week anyway.

1998 Cavalier Z24
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:33 PM
Anyone? By breaking up, i mean misfiring. But I am spitting black smoke, so it might just be getting tons of extra fuel and bogging out. Hard to tell

1998 Cavalier Z24
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 9:23 PM
sounds like your losing fuel pressure.. check your ground wires on your pump and pressure check your system.. make sure that fuel filter is clean and if it aint spend the money and get a good one to replace it.. give it some seafoam or lucas inector cleaner.. it never hurts
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 9:43 PM
Doubtful, I just replcaed my pump. And there really isnt a ground wire to check, all the wires are in the clip-in harness.

z24 aint afraid of no ecotec
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 10:01 PM
98redcavz24 wrote:What is a wideband going to do besides tell me that i'm pig ass rich, which I already know.

your right....it probably will tell you you're running pig ass rich. but with a wideband you can see what A/F you're actually running instead of just guessing. then you can tune accordingly to achieve a certain ratio you want. adjust the fuel and widen your plug gaps and i bet you're problem will go away.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:16 AM
still your either loosing fuel or getting to much.. your injectors could be flooding or like mentioned earlier your loosing fuel pressure.. put a noid light on your injectors and test em out.. but i would definately pressur check the system.. but thats just me
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:25 AM
With my blown blazer pump my car misfired like a whore on crack past 5000 rpm and under 2500 rpm...

It just drove like a sack of monkey crap.

I have since pulled my GM Charger plugs and cleaned them, put the new pump in and the car runs smooth as silk again. Rich - but smooth. I will have to drag it to the dyno for a tune sometime soon, methinks.... 14 psi untuned is fun but not smart.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 7:44 PM
hmmm i hope you get that worked out. i want a ride

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search