what kind of gains - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what kind of gains
Monday, June 06, 2005 10:09 AM
ok i am going to start installing my intercooler soon on my rsm supercharger
i am curious to know what kind of gains i will have i bought it from cavalierextreme.com
some people around hear say 10-20 hp but i honestly dont know all i know is that when it is idling and i put my hand by the blow off the air is hot

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/sinrocker/0061-2.JPG
check it
2000 Cav 4speed auto
rsm vortec v9 blower 8 psi, venom 270cc injectors, front rk strut bar,rear vibrant strut bar, jdm
floor bar stablizer, altezz tails, rsm ligthened crank pulley, upper/lower poly engine mounts,
msdingition coil packs, b&m shift improver, cooltek oil cooler, kick ass stereo with sirius,

Re: what kind of gains
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:34 AM
not 10 to 20 hp i'll tell you that right away. intercoolers lose air velocity in between the induction and the combustion chambers. HOWEVER, intercoolers give your charge temperature a MUCH lower temperature by the time that air reaches your combustion chambers, so you gain power back, usually more power gained from having that cooler air, and it's better for the life of your motor, to have that cooler air going in.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:03 AM
the rsm charger only heats up the air by about 10 degrees. and an intercooler only cools the air down by about 10 degrees for the charger anyway. and with a intercooler you lose about 2 psi.

but keep in mind i was only recently told this. not sure on how true it is

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:52 AM
it def heats up more than 10 degrees i will tell you that now... first off the charger is at what ever temp the engine oil is at so it is always broiling hot... i am hoping the new oil cooler will help that out a great deal.

when the car is idleing and i put my hand at the blow off, the air feels like it maybe more like 20-30 degrees hotter, and that is uncompressed

when air gets compressed it gets hot. so when the bov closes and the boost is getting created that is where it gets the hottest....

if i am running my car when i get into 3rd and go up to 80 from 70 i feel the power drop right off......

and then the power wont be there until the engine temp goes down to like 180-175. when i am boosting that temp goes right up to about 200....
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 10:17 AM
Quote:

Stage 1 Turbo Kit: Garrett T3 Turbo w/internal wastegate,
Turbo Manifold, Greddy Type S Blow Off Valve, Piping with
custom welds, Vacuum Lines, Oil Feed Lines, Oil Return
Lines, Manifold Gasket, T3 Gasket, Silicone Boots &
Clamps, and all necessary hardware for installation

Boost Levels - 4 PSI Range - 40 Horsepower Gain

Stage 2 Turbo Kit: Stage 1 Kit PLUS Intercooler & Piping Kit.

Boost Levels - 6 PSI Range - 60 Horsepower Gain

20HP Gain.

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 10:50 AM
Yeah, but that's also because the PSI is raised by about 2 pounds. Thanks for pointing that out though

I'd say that with the intercooler, you'd be looking at a good 10-15 HP gain.

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

TAX ID: 45-8013458577-3
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 11:25 AM
well even though my supercharger is rated for 8psi my boost gauge regularly hits 10psi every time i ride it out.....

since i bought it used and didn't know anything about the guy i bought it from i am thinking he may have upgraded the pulley or something

it so far hasn't mattered what temp it was out side or how humid it was it always hits 10psi

we will see

anyone put an intercooler on the rsm charger yet???

check it
2000 Cav 4speed auto
rsm vortec v9 blower 8 psi, venom 270cc injectors, front rk strut bar,rear vibrant strut bar, jdm
floor bar stablizer, altezz tails, rsm ligthened crank pulley, upper/lower poly engine mounts,
msdingition coil packs, b&m shift improver, cooltek oil cooler, kick ass stereo with sirius,
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 12:36 PM
Uh oh... low 15s here we come!!!!

had to man... you know the deal

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 2:54 PM
nitrous....no pressure loss whole lot colder...nuff said

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 3:41 PM
I dont think you need an intercooler.Vortech s/c's are pretty efficiant.I think the power loss your feeling is from runnig lean.I dont think the motor oil temp would effect the charger because the oil just squirts into the blower,theres no oil pressure in the charger.I dont know what your fuel mods are,but i dont see an upgraded fuel pump or fmu listed in your sig.If your running 10 psi with only 270cc injectors,your just asking for your motor to blow.If i were you,i would of invested in a wideband instead of getting the intercooler.Or atleast get it dynoed so you can see your air/fuel ratio.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:02 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:nitrous....no pressure loss whole lot colder...nuff said

Also illegal. God forbid he gets pulled over. Buh bye car

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 8:04 PM
well the cry02 system then

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 11:22 PM
an oil cooler would be a smart and cheap choice. motor oil runs from 180deg to 260 if you could cool that oil before it enters the charger the cooler the charger would be the cooler the air coming out. thats just my thoughts and i could be wrong. any other comments on a oil cooler before the charger?

see ya!

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:32 AM
rsm reporgrammed the ecu in the car.... that is the fuel managment system

as for the injectors rsm told me i needed bigger injectors so i got them. they said the stock pump was sufficent

and i know how regular air/fuel gauges are inaccurate but before the injectors were it i would gun it and it would pin in lean after 4psi

now with the new injectors it pins in rich.....

check it
2000 Cav 4speed auto
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 8:13 AM
im jsut saying what i was told. and i belive it was by Rodimus a few weeks ago before he got his Vortech

BlackZ2401 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:nitrous....no pressure loss whole lot colder...nuff said

Also illegal. God forbid he gets pulled over. Buh bye car

how would that be illegal?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:17 AM
the nitrous part is illegal in NY if not the whole country

check it
2000 Cav 4speed auto
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 10:47 AM
Way back when...we did the test with IAT for a turbos.

A turbo runs hotter on the exhaust side, but you are still compressing air on the intake side..... and it was at about 190 - 200 degrees F at 8 psi of compression. Non-Intercooled.

My car runs about 20 degrees above ambient.....at 18 psi. So if it is 80 degrees out the intake charge is at about ~100 degrees.

My boost reading and IAT for the TEC is below the T/B plate....in the manifold.

Signature Powered by Exploited Racing
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:13 AM
i don't have a turbo, i have a rsm supercharger with a v9 blower to be exact. but i don't know what the temps are at all. but i know if i put my hand at the bov while it is idling it is much warmer than the tempature outside maybe about 20-30 degrees warmer maybe more i need to check with the infered sensor

btw johnny mack your profile on your car says your running 21 and just said 18psi which one is the correct boost you are running?
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:46 AM
I can run both....... but turned it down because of traction issues

I know you are running a blower..... but you are probably at 170+ degrees with the blower under pressure

Signature Powered by Exploited Racing
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:52 AM
so how much of a temp drop would you expect since you seem to know much more about this than me. what kind of gains would you expect if you were me?

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 12:47 PM
I like the oil cooler idea that seems like it might be a solution, as far as the nitrous thing im only going to use that at the track, I wouldnt have it hooked up on the street. A more cop friendly option would be the Cry02 system which makes claims of cooling the charge by up to 50 degrees, also there would be no pressure loss in hooking up one of these systems

Monday, June 13, 2005 7:27 AM
i put in the oil cooler, it seems to keep the engine temps down a little bit

the way i ran the hoses were up behind the engine over the valve cover over the exhuast manifold , over the radiator and onto the oil cooler.... to prevent any other heat adding heat to the hoses i put exhaust wrap and wrapped the hoses

looks good i will get some pics

as for the intercooler it will be here on wednesday... should be sweet

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search