Compession and Turbo on 2.4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Compession and Turbo on 2.4
Monday, June 06, 2005 4:53 PM
Would it be safer on the motor to have less compression with a turbo? If so is there anyway to space the head from the block to decrease compression? Another question, with adding a turbo, should the timing be retarded? Any help please.....

Re: Compession and Turbo on 2.4
Monday, June 06, 2005 5:03 PM
Yes, its safer with low compression, it gives you more leeway in your tuning. No, don't use headgaskets, or head spacer type things to lower your compression, it will put a lot of stress on your timing chain.

The timing should be retarded usually, but its something only a dyno can tell. Some people have actually advanced the timing.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, June 06, 2005 8:29 PM
depends.... if you want to run ridiculous boost, drop the compression, but if you want a really responsive turbo car, run more static compression with a smaller turbo and less boost. Big turbo with lowered compression is more what you're looking for on a drag setup. Safety is all in the tuning.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:36 AM
i can't really post the chart because my scanner doesn't work. But there's a nice graph in Maximum Boost that shows correlation between compression ratio, PSI level, and octane level necessary for maximum performance and safety. If you don't have that book you might want it.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, June 12, 2005 11:30 PM
Jersey Jay 1.8T wrote:depends.... if you want to run ridiculous boost, drop the compression, but if you want a really responsive turbo car, run more static compression with a smaller turbo and less boost. Big turbo with lowered compression is more what you're looking for on a drag setup. Safety is all in the tuning.

My theory on boosting J-s as well......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search