turbo question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo question
Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:35 AM
how much does just the unit of the turbo cost if were to go to a junk yard and suggestions on which car to get it from. what do i look for? if i have it how much is it for the rest of the kit and where do i pick on up? ontario location. any one else hear of the turbinator? i seen it on this site is that really worth while getting that?

Re: turbo question
Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:07 AM
turbinator = crap.

depending on what engine you have in your car, you're probably going to want to look for a T3 out of a turbo Saab. If you buy your own turbocharger, you're going to have to piece together the rest of your own kit. Do you have any clue what you are doing with a turbo project? Go to Borders and pick up Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Read it, learn it, memorize it.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:39 AM
thank you for the help i have no clue as to what to do or look for i have a 2200 sfi 2002 cavy w/ stage 1 upgrades to the car minor. i want to build my own turbo over a peri0d of time looking to spend $500 or $1000 what ever , i need advice something not major just simple basic turbo stage 1
Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:42 PM
joe kennedy wrote:thank you for the help i have no clue as to what to do or look for i have a 2200 sfi 2002 cavy w/ stage 1 upgrades to the car minor. i want to build my own turbo over a peri0d of time looking to spend $500 or $1000 what ever , i need advice something not major just simple basic turbo stage 1

Even to build a custom turbo setup, your lookinat over $1000. Being that you don't know much about how turbo setups work and installing them, firs suggestion is read more posts. Look at what people do right & what they do wrong. Second, best and easiest thing for you is to SAVE your money and buy a kit. Building a custom turbo setup even with a professionals help isn't easy. Buying a kit will save you alot of headaches (in your case).

If you have more questions, just ask...that's how you learn. Good Luck to you.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:16 PM
building your own kit is the only way to learn in my opinion, if you want to learn everything there is to know and learn how things work, how to troubleshoot, etc. and it's cheaper. but i'd only recommend this process if you have the ability for more car downtime.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, June 03, 2005 12:08 AM
Spotabee Racing wrote:building your own kit is the only way to learn in my opinion, if you want to learn everything there is to know and learn how things work, how to troubleshoot, etc. and it's cheaper. but i'd only recommend this process if you have the ability for more car downtime.

Yeah he'll learn but I don't think he wants to spend a bunch of money if there is a mistake made. Also like you said, downtime is a big issue...

Friday, June 03, 2005 4:34 AM
Everything on my car is custom built, and it took a week (maybe two, can't remember for sure) to install the turbo. Keep in mind that it was at a shop with a hoist, welder, and other tools. Also keep in mind that I work on cars all the time, that I'm a fairly good fabricator, that I had already collected and/or assembled a few parts ahead of time, and that it still cost me something in the neighborhood of $400 for parts alone.

There's one thing I've found to be true. You can spend time, or you can spend money. Either way, a good job has a higher price.

-->Slow
Friday, June 03, 2005 8:12 AM
thank you for the advice. i am a daily driver and also yearly. i was hoping maybe during a full day or take one day to do it. is there are links for me to go and read and review set up's and how too? also where would i pick up a kit. in ontario?? what comes with the kit? wires waste, blow off, cooler????? i am going to be buying part by part, cause @!#$e now a days is to much expensive and i am not provilidged or spoiled so i have to do part by part and really dont want to spend 4 grand for a turbo, would almost be worth the buy back lol
Friday, June 03, 2005 8:54 AM
^ get a second job for a month or two and get a kit....

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Friday, June 03, 2005 9:32 AM
what does the kit consist of? and where is the place to get it?
Friday, June 03, 2005 2:20 PM
joe kennedy wrote:what does the kit consist of? and where is the place to get it?

First, what motor do you have?

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:31 PM
cavalierconnection.com..... cheapest out there. stage 3 = +80HP

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:33 PM
sorry.. i meant cavalierextreme.com...

Friday, June 03, 2005 7:34 PM
It's really not that hard to make a turbo kit. The hardest part is geting the pipes ran and fuel.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Saturday, June 04, 2005 12:09 AM
Red2.ZCavi (The Slanky One) wrote:sorry.. i meant cavalierextreme.com...

Thanks for mentioning us.

Joe - Let me know if you have any questions or need any help on a turbo setup. I'd be more than happy to help you out: admin@cavalierextreme.com

Good luck!

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

TAX ID: 45-8013458577-3
Monday, June 06, 2005 9:14 AM
ok thanks i may as well get stage 1
Monday, June 06, 2005 9:29 AM
ok thanks i may as well get stage 1
Monday, June 06, 2005 9:32 AM
so lets say if i pick up the stage 1 kit i dont need to change all sorts of stuff just hook it up and im done i dont want to change nothing just a straight hook up to the car ?
Monday, June 06, 2005 11:21 AM
joe kennedy wrote:so lets say if i pick up the stage 1 kit i dont need to change all sorts of stuff just hook it up and im done i dont want to change nothing just a straight hook up to the car ?

Having a stage 1 doesn't mean that your installation would be any easier. The lower the stage, it's supposed to be less the power gains, that's it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search