working over the details...little help :) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
working over the details...little help :)
Monday, May 30, 2005 11:45 AM
Ok, i've got 2 directions planned for my car, one a layed back cruiser that looks nice and has bolt ons, so most of my money will be on the outside of the car, the other a street sleeper i can do track days with so most of the cash will be on the inside of the car... we will focus on the last one as the first i have figures for already.

I'm wanting to run a decent sized turbo, i want a quick spool but not something thats maxed out half way thru the revs, i was considering a t3/t4 since they spool up quick, but the compressor wont max out early, i'm not sure what trim would be good and the a/r numbers i'm still working out. ideally i'd like to build my own setup, i'll probably build my own manifold with a waste gate on it, and my own downpipe and charge pipes.
I would like to run an intercooler as well for flexibility in the long run, i plan to run stock internals on a 2200 at first so i'm thinking 6 to 7psi with a new high flow fuel pump and filter.

Now, what size injectors would be a good starting point or does anyone know a nice way of figuring this out?

What add on fmu should i use or which do you guys prefer?

is there any way to modify the maf in these cars?

does anybody else do reflashes besides jbodyperformance.com?

does anybody sell cams for the 2200?

will the stock cooling system handle 250hp?

will i need an oil cooler even with as little as 6psi?

is there any relativly cheap way around timing issues?

thanks in advance

J~

Re: working over the details...little help :)
Monday, May 30, 2005 1:52 PM
J~ wrote:Ok, i've got 2 directions planned for my car, one a layed back cruiser that looks nice and has bolt ons, so most of my money will be on the outside of the car, the other a street sleeper i can do track days with so most of the cash will be on the inside of the car... we will focus on the last one as the first i have figures for already.

I'm wanting to run a decent sized turbo, i want a quick spool but not something thats maxed out half way thru the revs, i was considering a t3/t4 since they spool up quick, but the compressor wont max out early, i'm not sure what trim would be good and the a/r numbers i'm still working out. ideally i'd like to build my own setup, i'll probably build my own manifold with a waste gate on it, and my own downpipe and charge pipes.
I would like to run an intercooler as well for flexibility in the long run, i plan to run stock internals on a 2200 at first so i'm thinking 6 to 7psi with a new high flow fuel pump and filter.

Now, what size injectors would be a good starting point or does anyone know a nice way of figuring this out?

What add on fmu should i use or which do you guys prefer?

is there any way to modify the maf in these cars?

does anybody else do reflashes besides jbodyperformance.com?

does anybody sell cams for the 2200?

will the stock cooling system handle 250hp?

will i need an oil cooler even with as little as 6psi?

is there any relativly cheap way around timing issues?

thanks in advance

J~

you can get a manifold on ebay for under $200 for the 2200, i see them allll the time. they are a simple mild steel log style manifold.

a good turbo for your setup would be a T3/T4 with a .48 a/r it will spool quick but not too quick to get heat soaked easily. a lot of people like the Vortech FMU. Personally I can't stand FMU's. I prefer to go with an Aeromotive FPR and a better form of tuning such as E-manage. Our cars are not MAF, they are MAP. You don't need anything above the stock MAP sensor for now. If you are running in excess of 19 psi, a GM 3-bar MAP might be in order, but you are no where close to that yet. As far as injectors go, that depends on how much power you want to make. For 200 whp, some 30# injectors would work great, for 250 hp go with around 38 to 42# injectors. RC Engineering makes great injectors. Jbodyperformance sells forced induction cams for the 2200. Make sure you order their Forced Induction cams, not stage 1, stage 2, etc because those are n/a cam profiles. With boost, you want high lift, SHORT duration, as a long duration will cause too much overlap and you will lose power. i would recommend getting an oil cooler, i just see it as a good idea. you will be fine at 6 or 7 psi on stock bottom end with the correct fuel system modifications. as for intercooling, some people prefer the Johnny Racecar front mounts, just take measurements and figure out what you need. OR you could be super sleeper style and use a Saab side mount intercooler with both end tanks on the same side, relocate your battery and run the piping where your battery tray once was.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, May 30, 2005 6:44 PM
wow, simple and straight forward answer...i was wondering if the org was capable of that , thanks for the info, i couldnt remember if the j's were map or maf, good to know 100% now, i've heard you can run ford injectors as well? i've heard more good things about rc engineering though, the .48 a/r was around what i was looking at, seems to be what most places point at for larger 4 cylinders, who sells e-manage? i dont think i've seen it anywhere yet, most of what i've seen is msd products. do you happen to know at what rpm does a t3/t4 with a .48 a/r start building boost? and what rpm does it peak? i dont have any compressor map sheets for the turbos yet and cant seem to find a site that shows anything useful.

other than that i think you covered everything in one post, thanks postabee

J~
Monday, May 30, 2005 7:21 PM
J~ wrote:wow, simple and straight forward answer...i was wondering if the org was capable of that , thanks for the info, i couldnt remember if the j's were map or maf, good to know 100% now, i've heard you can run ford injectors as well? i've heard more good things about rc engineering though, the .48 a/r was around what i was looking at, seems to be what most places point at for larger 4 cylinders, who sells e-manage? i dont think i've seen it anywhere yet, most of what i've seen is msd products. do you happen to know at what rpm does a t3/t4 with a .48 a/r start building boost? and what rpm does it peak? i dont have any compressor map sheets for the turbos yet and cant seem to find a site that shows anything useful.

other than that i think you covered everything in one post, thanks postabee

J~

MAP or MAF can easily be told by the intake. if it has one of those huge goofy looking sensors it's a MAF, but if it has the IAT sensor plugging into the air intake tube somewhere, it's MAP. you can run just about any topfeed injector on the 2200. A lot of Ford injectors will work, anywhere from Thunderbird TurboCoupe injectors to whatever. RC Engineering is who I would turn to because you will get a brand new product and a warrantee. You can order the e-manage from Greddy or any performance shop that sells Greddy products. I believe the retail cost for the unit and every harness and software item you need is in the neighborhood of $830, and again that is RETAIL. With that .48 turbo you will probably begin spooling at around 2500 to 2800 and peack boost at around 5900 rpm, which is your best shift point.

Monday, May 30, 2005 8:03 PM
i like the idea of a sleeper look, i know the dsms have side mounts and you said saabs do to, how do i go about creating airflow across the intercooler? i was thinkin about making a stainless or aluminum panel for the inner fender well with louvers in it, pointing down of course and maybe a deflector to push air over to the front side of it, do you think thats possible or could i find a small electric fan on top of the intercooler and get good airflow?

J~
Monday, May 30, 2005 8:10 PM
that's too much of a pain. you want to position the intercooler behind the front bumper where you can bolt it to the subframe, but not blocking too much of the radiator. no matter what anyone tells you, do not spray the intercooler black, it screws with heat transfer. it's not like you need lots of air be flowing over the intercooler to help keep your charge temperature cool. behind the front bumper is the best place to put it in order to make piping accessible.

Monday, May 30, 2005 11:28 PM
Spotabee Racing wrote:no matter what anyone tells you, do not spray the intercooler black, it screws with heat transfer.

this has been tested before..i forget where..maybe in a magazine, but i remember reading it somewhere. i'll try and look for it. black spray paint did nothing but turn the intercooler black. didnt screw with the heat transfer, didnt cause charge temps to be higher than they would've been.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:05 AM
Spotabee Racing wrote: a lot of people like the Vortech FMU

It seems that more people like the Cartech FMU since it is adjustable. The only way to adjust the Vortech FMU is buy taking it apart and using different disk. It would be easier to tune with the Cartech FMU by turning the little screw than having to take apart the Vortech FMU and putting in different disk.

Spotabee Racing wrote:You don't need anything above the stock MAP sensor for now. If you are running in excess of 19 psi, a GM 3-bar MAP might be in order, but you are no where close to that yet.

If he sticks with using the stock ECU, there should not be a reason for him to switch over to a 3 bar map since the stock ECU is only programmed to read a 1 bar.

Spotabee Racing wrote:With that .48 turbo you will probably begin spooling at around 2500 to 2800 and peack boost at around 5900 rpm, which is your best shift point.

That is not true. You cant just go off the turbine housing to know when the turbo will start to spool and make boost. He could use a T4 .46 trim compressor housing and start making boost at 2500 rpm, or use a T4 62-1 compressor and start making boost at 4000 rpm.

Just my 2 cents

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:31 PM
i was talking about a .48 exhaust a/r

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:36 PM
So was I. You cannot judge at what rpm the turbo will spool and hit full boost just by going off of the turbine/exhaust housing. You have to take into the account the size of the compressor/compressor housing. I would think that it would be kind of difficult for a 2.2 ohv using a T3/T4 .48 a/r turbine housing with a T4 62-1 compressor housing to start spooling under 2900 rpm. I think that a 2.2 using a T3/T4 .48 a/r turbine housing with a T4 .46 trim compressor housing would be able to start spooling under 2900 rpm.

My point is that you cannot say that T3/T4 with a .48 a/r turbine housing will be able to start making boost at XXXX rpm without knowing the size/trim of the compressor housing.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search